How does the a-league compare to the other asian leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheVBomber

Senior List
Suspended
Nov 2, 2008
AUS
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Imo we are the 3rd best league behind the j and k leagues. The J-League is the benchmark. imo within 10 years the a-league will be number 1.

Imo we are the 3rd best league behind the j and k leagues. The J-League is the benchmark. imo within 10 years the a-league will be number 1.

Within 2 years the A-league will be struggling to survive. IF they get through that, in 10 years it will be back to the point they were at last year and another 20 years to reach were the J-League is at.

Adelaide United fluked this asian CL campaign. Getting through the K-League team was a fluke, and 2 draws with the china team. Arnt they s**t? Than Kashima, Fluke, Bonyokdor, they choked, but gamba osaka played poorly and still got 5 goals. what 1 stuff up by an Adelaide defender (1st goal), and 3 stuff ups by the goalie's. Only the 1st goal of the second leg actually was with Gamba going good.

We may be the best league in ASEAN, But their are 3 better leagues in EAFF, St least 3 in WAFF and 1 better league in CaSAFF, so we are ranked 8th behind
J-League (EAFF)
K-League (EAFF)
Iran Pro League (WAFF)
Saudi Premier League (WAFF)
China Super League (EAFF)
Uzbek league (CaSFF)
UAE League. (WAFF)

Within 2 years the A-league will be struggling to survive. IF they get through that, in 10 years it will be back to the point they were at last year and another 20 years to reach were the J-League is at.

Adelaide United fluked this asian CL campaign. Getting through the K-League team was a fluke, and 2 draws with the china team. Arnt they s**t? Than Kashima, Fluke, Bonyokdor, they choked, but gamba osaka played poorly and still got 5 goals. what 1 stuff up by an Adelaide defender (1st goal), and 3 stuff ups by the goalie's. Only the 1st goal of the second leg actually was with Gamba going good.

We may be the best league in ASEAN, But their are 3 better leagues in EAFF, St least 3 in WAFF and 1 better league in CaSAFF, so we are ranked 8th behind
J-League (EAFF)
K-League (EAFF)
Iran Pro League (WAFF)
Saudi Premier League (WAFF)
China Super League (EAFF)
Uzbek league (CaSFF)
UAE League. (WAFF)

Do you care to elaborate on your statement that the A-League will struggle to survive in 2 years?

And i think you selling Adelaide's achievements very short.

Hmmm... I think the advantage the A-League has over the Japanese and Korean leagues is the possibility of vastly improving local playing stocks - the East Asian leagues can look forward to their countries' best players and quite a few of their developing juniors going to Europe. If the A-League can offer developing younger players an alternative to playing in the weaker European leagues, the standard of play can really improve over time.

What the J-League definitely has over the A-League is lots of excellent South American players. A-League clubs would do well to look for useful imports rather than marketing players like Juninho, as the J-League seems to do.

Iran has organisational problems. The Arab leagues are soulless institutions ageing players might play in for money, but aren't attractive.

A-League > K-League. Don't think any A-league teams have lost to K-league teams yet.

We lost to Seongnam away in 2007, it's where our campaign went to the shitter.

The K-League is being sold short. Their two representatives this year were rubbish, of course, but it was only two years ago when Jeonbuk Motors won it and Seongnam went out on penalties to Urawa in 2007. It's not just a mistake that the K-League has produced the most ACL winners. Next year, with Suwon Bluewings and FC Seoul (plus two more) they'll do better than Pohang and Chunnam.

Didn't we lose to them at home first up? Or was that Shenhua when we gave them a ridiculous amount of respect because Asian teams were pumped up gangbusters by the media before us and Sydney embarked?

The K-League is being sold short. Their two representatives this year were rubbish, of course, but it was only two years ago when Jeonbuk Motors won it and Seongnam went out on penalties to Urawa in 2007. It's not just a mistake that the K-League has produced the most ACL winners. Next year, with Suwon Bluewings and FC Seoul (plus two more) they'll do better than Pohang and Chunnam.
Don't forget the Japanese never took it serious for many years.

What we forget is that most of the Asian Leauge's started around 93-95....thats a 10 year head start in everything (technical ability, player development, infrestructure, finances etc.)

If my memory serves me correctly only Gamba Osaka have beaten Oz teams convincingly - we have been comeptitve with every one of them

Saudi? China? UAE? :eek: You're havin a laugh. As long as the government funds football and as long as the socceroos do well (which helps the profile of the sport) the a-league will do well. I find it ludicrous that the new football competition would die after about 6 years. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't we lose to them at home first up? Or was that Shenhua when we gave them a ridiculous amount of respect because Asian teams were pumped up gangbusters by the media before us and Sydney embarked?

Nah, we drew at home with them 2-2 after going 2-0 up. Shandong beat us at Hindmarsh though. We had to beat Seongnam to have any real chance of going through as we still had to go there and to Shandong.

Don't forget the Japanese never took it serious for many years.

That's their fault.

Other nations - the Saudi's and Iran, mainly - did yet K-League teams still won it plenty of times.

I guess you didnt read Rebecca Wilsons article.

Jeez I hope you're being sarcastic - and even if you are, for anyone to consider her a reputable source even as a joke makes me throw up in my mouth.

Jeez I hope you're being sarcastic - and even if you are, for anyone to consider her a reputable source even as a joke makes me throw up in my mouth.

I was joking. But after making a stupid comment earlier on this page, i needed to make it seem i was influenced by an idiot. Club football i dont think Australia is in the top 5 in Asia, But our best players are in Europe so of course our national soccer team is the best in Asia. I would love to see NZ get through qualification and make the WC. and hope we're in the same pool as them so we can anihalate them

and with good cause. She is full of s**t. She doesn't know anything. Slammed AFL's rookie rules because she thought every new player was "rookie listed".

I've only ever read 2 of her articles. Because i know that the writers who only get in the paper once a week are s**t. If they were good they would be writing daily. First time i read her paper was going into one of this years grand finals and she was saying that every game in the AFL finals so far this year had been over by half time, Bullshit Rebbeca! Collingwood and Sydney came back from half time in week one. I read that crap on bigfooty once it had came out and once again i couldnt believe her stupidity, Australian Soccer crap because we lost to Gamba Osaka. AFL must than suck because of a loss to Ireland in international rules. Rugby League must be crap with losing too NZ, and Cricket must be crap for losing to India. See her logic is idiotic. I only made a stupid comment earlier on, on this page and needed to back it up with something. Hard but Wilson's s**t was the only thing that was as full as crap as my comment.

I lived in Korea for 7 years & attended a number of K League games. I was also there when Seongnam beat Adelaide(sorry Reds supporters)
IMO in terms of quality the K League is ahead atm though I could see that changing in the future with s higher salary cap(if that happens)
One area the A League is better than the K League is crowds, both in terms of numbers, atmosphere & knowledge of the game.

and with good cause. She is full of s**t. She doesn't know anything. Slammed AFL's rookie rules because she thought every new player was "rookie listed".

I remember reading one of her articles on the eve of the 2005 Ashes Tour triangular series.

Massive rant about how pointless it is to play countries like Bangladesh at that level, how damaging it is for the game, doesn't allow the minnow to improve and it's just a chance for the big nation's players to inflate its stats and whatnot.

Lo and behold, Bangladesh score a famous victory.

Some of you guys have to be a little less reactive to RW's pieces, the article was deliberately inflammatory thats her style, but it had some truths in it as well as some anecdotal evidence to run up her angle, which is sorta pointless. Still the only completely wrong bit of factual evidence in it was that somehow the A-league was bad for soccer and the cause of all its problems, i'm not sure how she got that idea. Most of the rest of the article had elements of truth to it.

Les Murray's response showed why if SBS has nothing more to do with soccer in Australia that would probably be a good thing as well. They really have to get over the us v them thing.

Some of you guys have to be a little less reactive to RW's pieces, the article was deliberately inflammatory thats her style, but it had some truths in it as well as some anecdotal evidence to run up her angle, which is sorta pointless. Still the only completely wrong bit of factual evidence in it was that somehow the A-league was bad for soccer and the cause of all its problems, i'm not sure how she got that idea. Most of the rest of the article had elements of truth to it.

Les Murray's response showed why if SBS has nothing more to do with soccer in Australia that would probably be a good thing as well. They really have to get over the us v them thing.

How can you say that SBS not having soccer is a good thing for the sport. Sure they have an "Us vs Them" culture but they are the only network on FTA that has anything more than a passing interest at the back of the sports news and have forever given soccer a full coverage about soccer from all over the world.

Wilson's article is just plain abusive and smells of a journalist who doesn't do any research whatsoever. Most of her statements are backed up with no facts or figures and we are expected to just believe everything she writes.

well....

Point1, because they are unprofessional. fox atleast attempt to present professional coverage, even if its on a low budget. SBS's coverage of the sport in the fashion they do arguably holds the sport back rather than benefits it. Plus SBS barely qualifies as FTA, its digital stations dont even work!

Point 2, Yeah but she does that on every article, shes does opinionated controversial pieces designed for the morons, so she picks and chooses a bit, the difference is you dont get the CEO, SBS and fans jumping up and down for her articles normally. You can guarantee she'll have another soccer article in the shoot ready to go soon given the response shes got. You cant shes 100% unresearched either, it had elements of truth in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back