How many chances does Finch get???

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course top 3 makes a big difference to leading run scorers, most bat top 3 but that’s because they are the teams best batsmen

But this thread doesn’t even think he should be in the team, if he was as bad as Bigfooty made out, wouldn’t matter where he batted, he wouldn’t score runs
To be fair he was batting pretty s**t for a while.
I was advocating Short being given a go. Seeing how Joffra has gone I don't doubt Sort would have made the grade in the WC. That being said, there's no doubt its great to see the skipper making runs.
Keep it going and win us the bloody thing.

Can we bump this?

Leading run scorer in ODI cricket for 2019
Leading run scorer in the 2019 World Cup

Another hindsight hero.

He had 12-18 months when he was awful, deserved to be dropped and probably would've been if not for being captain.

Yes he's now come good and I'm glad to see it, but boy it's been a while coming.

Another hindsight hero.

He had 12-18 months when he was awful, deserved to be dropped and probably would've been if not for being captain.

Yes he's now come good and I'm glad to see it, but boy it's been a while coming.

Btw can you point out the 12-18 months of bad form?

2017- Averaged 50
2018- Averaged 45 with 3 centuries
2019- Averaging 57

like finch as a skipper and he's very competent when the ball isn't hooping around. which is why he won't be playing in the tests cos you can bet the poms will ensure that happens to give anderson and broad the upper hand.

like finch as a skipper and he's very competent when the ball isn't hooping around. which is why he won't be playing in the tests cos you can bet the poms will ensure that happens to give anderson and broad the upper hand.

? Won't be anywhere near the test squad, which is as it should be.

But clearly is essential to any world cup aspirations we have which is the most pressing matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Form is temporary, Class is permanent
Form is temporary, playing balls square of the wicket when the bounce is consistent and there's no sideway movement early so you've survived the early period of playing them straight is permanent

Finch suffers when he's down because when he's out of form, oh boy is it hard to watch. He looks like a grade cricketer when he's not smoking them.

His 100 yesterday was really the difference between a win and loss.

His on-field captaincy has generally been excellent too - he read the conditions perfectly by opening with Behrendorff yesterday and in general he seems to make the right bowling change or the right field placing at the right time.

Ponting has done a really good job with Finch

After identifying Finch's problem with the ball nipping back in and getting caught in front...Finchie has open his stance more allowing him to play down the line.....with a straighter bat

Finchie is not 100% perfect and he is still falls over but opening his stance is a lot better than he was playing in the aussie summer

Good work by Punter and co

His 100 yesterday was really the difference between a win and loss.

His on-field captaincy has generally been excellent too - he read the conditions perfectly by opening with Behrendorff yesterday and in general he seems to make the right bowling change or the right field placing at the right time.

IMO his captaincy so far this tournament has been top notch.....finchie understands the game ....knows when to up the ante when he is batting and he uses his bowlers very well. Overall a big tick for me a very good captain

Its a shame his test form is poor....could make a very good test captain

IMO his captaincy so far this tournament has been top notch.....finchie understands the game ....knows when to up the ante when he is batting and he uses his bowlers very well. Overall a big tick for me a very good captain

Its a shame his test form is poor....could make a very good test captain

If he plays tests he has to bat 5 or 6, like he does in first class cricket

Who would you swap him for from the squad thats over there?

Marsh. We are playing only 4 batsman in the side at the moment and it’s working while Finch and Warner keep getting big starts but it’s nit sustainable. Maxwell at no level of cricket is a recognised batsman. He is simply a slogger that has no ability whatsoever to sum up a games position and adapt to the environment. He knows one way only and yes it is awesome that once a year when it happens but so unreliable.
Stoinis stays in as he is a better bowler than Maxwell and more reliable with the bat.
My side would be

Finch
Warner
Smith
Kwahja
Marsh
Carey
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Berrendorf

Marsh. We are playing only 4 batsman in the side at the moment and it’s working while Finch and Warner keep getting big starts but it’s nit sustainable. Maxwell at no level of cricket is a recognised batsman. He is simply a slogger that has no ability whatsoever to sum up a games position and adapt to the environment. He knows one way only and yes it is awesome that once a year when it happens but so unreliable.
Stoinis stays in as he is a better bowler than Maxwell and more reliable with the bat.
My side would be

Finch
Warner
Smith
Kwahja
Marsh
Carey
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Berrendorf

I don't think you can have Khawaja and Marsh in the same side given the squad we have available for selection. Just stifles our back end acceleration.

You have to look at where Maxwell has come in during the competition - I think its twice before the 36th over. You can't have Khawaja or Marsh coming in that late. They chew up too many deliveries at the start. And so does Stoinis. The only player outside of the top 3 capable of going at over a run a ball that late apart from Maxwell is probably Carey. Stoinis is struggling big time leaving too much to do for Maxwell.

He has had a couple of poor shots but when asked to do what his role is, its going to happen. The West Indies shot was poor - no arguments there. But its a risk v reward thing with Maxwell. He comes in from 35+ overs with Stoinis and Carey behind him, he can have a swing which can prove valuable if it comes off. Id argue he's done OK playing that role so far.

Not to mention his bowling - he has bowled DNB, 6, 7, 7, 10, 3 and 2 overs. That means if he doesn't play, the 4th and 5th bowlers who might be bowling poorly and being targeted have to bowl out. Or it's Finch. Thats it really.

Id argue the risk of having Khawaja/Marsh come in late when we are trying to get the score up into the high 300's and then trying to find overs from someone else/bowling out 4th and 5th bowlers is far greater than having Maxwell do what he is doing. Maxwell can win a WC final off his own bat. He can change the complexion of a match within a very short time. Players like that are so valuable.

I don't think you can have Khawaja and Marsh in the same side given the squad we have available for selection. Just stifles our back end acceleration.

You have to look at where Maxwell has come in during the competition - I think its twice before the 36th over. You can't have Khawaja or Marsh coming in that late. They chew up too many deliveries at the start. And so does Stoinis. The only player outside of the top 3 capable of going at over a run a ball that late apart from Maxwell is probably Carey. Stoinis is struggling big time leaving too much to do for Maxwell.

He has had a couple of poor shots but when asked to do what his role is, its going to happen. The West Indies shot was poor - no arguments there. But its a risk v reward thing with Maxwell. He comes in from 35+ overs with Stoinis and Carey behind him, he can have a swing which can prove valuable if it comes off. Id argue he's done OK playing that role so far.

Not to mention his bowling - he has bowled DNB, 6, 7, 7, 10, 3 and 2 overs. That means if he doesn't play, the 4th and 5th bowlers who might be bowling poorly and being targeted have to bowl out. Or it's Finch. Thats it really.

Id argue the risk of having Khawaja/Marsh come in late when we are trying to get the score up into the high 300's and then trying to find overs from someone else/bowling out 4th and 5th bowlers is far greater than having Maxwell do what he is doing. Maxwell can win a WC final off his own bat. He can change the complexion of a match within a very short time. Players like that are so valuable.

Maxwell is in the side because they are hoping that his one good day of the year will be in the final.
How is Stoinis leaving to much for Maxwell to do when he is coming in after him?
Coming in with 15 overs to go leaves plenty of time to get yourself in before you unleash, Nothing wrong with chewing up a few deliveries as opposed to smashing a couple for 6 then getting out.
I didn’t pick the squad but based on who they did pick they have to play 5 recognised bats and that does not include Maxwell and Stoinis.
Don’t get carried away with strike rates, Khawaja and Marsh can both easily go at 120. Have you not seen Marsh bat once he is in? He can hit them all over the park as well as the next bloke.
If Maxwell is playing I only want him out there with 5 overs to go.
We will have to agree to disagree, I suspect they will continue with Maxwell hoping for that one special day but at this minute he and he alone is the reason we are not getting to 310-350 because he is not doing his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back