How much has this cost Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

What about the real intangibles?

All the credits and allies in powerful positions and favours owed and connections they've lost.

Gil and the other AFL officials may have covered things up but they've gone from being one of the big boys off the field to the naught corner.

Meanwhile Collingwood and Hawthorn and West Coast get to go on fact finding missions to come up with AFL equalisation policies and s**t

That is a decent cost in anyones language. That would buy Little's Toorak property.

Then there is the issue of who pays. Didn't Little and a few mates put a heap of cash in already to cover legal bills etc?

Outside of coterie groups then they really one have one option surely to stump up - the AFL

So in effect Essendon bet the house on gaming the system in the belief that the AFL via other clubs would cough up if it all went Pete Tong and bail them out.

Otherwise known as the Hird Narcissist Theory - Essendon > Lehman Brothers.

Then there is the issue of who pays. Didn't Little and a few mates put a heap of cash in already to cover legal bills etc?

Outside of coterie groups then they really one have one option surely to stump up - the AFL

So in effect Essendon bet the house on gaming the system in the belief that the AFL via other clubs would cough up if it all went Pete Tong and bail them out.

rent seekers from Moonee Ponds

What about the real intangibles?

All the credits and allies in powerful positions and favours owed and connections they've lost.

Gil and the other AFL officials may have covered things up but they've gone from being one of the big boys off the field to the naught corner.

Meanwhile Collingwood and Hawthorn and West Coast get to go on fact finding missions to come up with AFL equalisation policies and s**t

There is certainly a change in the power relationships between EFC and the AFL.

I'd like to see evidence of this. There seems to be the view that rich people like to throw away money for the hell of it.

They'll really feel it in 20 years when the kids they aren't getting now, and are dropping off, don't become members.

That's what's saved us ... literally ... is the Carey/90s kids coming of age and buying up.

The big question is "what will the players kids look like in 20 years time?"

No Father/Son recruits here!!!

Here is my quick guess, please correct.

3 million - If they pay other AFL teams players there salary
3-4 million - Lawyers, Court Costs (Some covered by insurance)
1-2 million - Non afl players loss of earnings
1-2 million - 12 Top up players
1 million - Hird Salary when he was away in France
2 million - AFL Fine
200k -Work safe fine.

From Essendons Annual Reports

• 2013 - AFL/ASADA investigation fine, legal and consulting expenses - $3,939,710.00
  • 2014 - AFL/ASADA investigation fine, legal and consulting net expenses - $1,071,438.00
  • 2015 - AFL/ASADA/WADA related legal and consulting - $460,618.00
  • Total: $5,471,766
Known
  • Workcover Penalty: $220,000.00 (including costs)
Total Known costs: $5,691,766.00

Unknowns
  • Whether Robinsons $1,000,000 payout is accounted in the above or separately
  • Whether Hirds exit payout (at least $750,000 for 2015) is included
  • Hirds salary for 2014
  • How much insurance will cover
  • Player salarys in 2016
  • CAS appeal costs
  • Potential compensation costs.

Theres like zero evidence that this has actually happened. I know its the dream for you guys though.

Equalisation sub-committee members also include Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon, alongside chief executives Brendon Gale (Richmond), and Keith Thomas (Port). Essendon not being included doesnt mean anything. Lots of clubs werent represented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big question is "what will the players kids look like in 20 years time?"

No Father/Son recruits here!!!
children-growing-grows-growth-growth_spurts-kid-sden1190_low.jpg

0802-afl-finances-729.jpg

Only in $5m debt - they can borrow plenty more against their assets yet and all the koolaiders who thought this whole journey was a good idea can pay for it in the future.

The true cost will be felt in years to come. Kids are dropping off in droves as they get the treatment at school having to find out that their idols have turned out to be drug cheats.

Also, I'm sure people know an Essendon fan or two that's changed to A-League or some other sport after the gloss has gone off their love for the once proud Essendon

The true cost will be felt in years to come. Kids are dropping off in droves as they get the treatment at school having to find out that their idols have turned out to be drug cheats.

Also, I'm sure people know an Essendon fan or two that's changed to A-League or some other sport after the gloss has gone off their love for the once proud Essendon

Aaaaaand you're making things up.

Membership up on last year.

A good friend of mine who had been an Essendon member for over ten years gave up his membership and took up Melbourne Storm membership. I doubt he'll return to the Essendon fold for a long time. I'm sure there are plenty more like that.

A good friend of mine who had been an Essendon member for over ten years gave up his membership and took up Melbourne Storm membership. I doubt he'll return to the Essendon fold for a long time. I'm sure there are plenty more like that.

Pretty much the same here. One of my mates is now totally into A-League and back aboard EPL in an unhealthy way. Another has just pulled stumps on any involvement and is following the amateurs for his footy fix. Both may be back aboard Essendon in a few years...

Maybe Little bought 20K's worth of membership himself? Does anyone know if REAL numbers went up or did rich benefactors stack the membership numbers?
It is a reasonable possibility as I know a few Essendon supporters that did not renew their memberships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back