How much is Champion Data worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously they play a large and growing role in how the sport works for both coaches and fans and I understand they're owned (at least partly) by the AFL but I'd be interested to know how much is Champion Data worth?

Anyone got any market intel? Revenue/earnings numbers, peer companies, other benchmarks (or just wild speculation!) that might point to the answer?

Also do they cover other sports or is it purely AFL?

We've been keeping footy stats of one type or another for about 35 years now. I can recall the HS starting with relatively rudimentary stats for all players (by game) in the early 80s (K;M;H;G;B was just about it at that time). Back in those days, commentators would get excited about players having 30+ disposals, or kicking 10+ goals, etc with virtually zero analysis of what happened to those disposals, where they were picked up, how, when, and who was most influential in getting the ball to the bloke kicking 10+ goals, etc.

Anyway, stats have steadily been building up since that time; so apart from the American sports, there wouldn't be too many sports using as many stats as what are to be found in our game (perhaps cricket comes close) and thus, we're miles ahead of the the other major sports like league, netball and soccer.

In fact, for such a prominent game, with no limit to the textual analysis available, soccer to this day relies on minimal, rudimentary stats, and in fact the whole concept of stats is frowned upon in some quarters (Italian journalists will write up a double page spread on a nil-all draw in the Serie A without the need to reference one single stat).

We've been keeping footy stats of one type or another for about 35 years now. I can recall the HS starting with relatively rudimentary stats for all players (by game) in the early 80s (K;M;H;G;B was just about it at that time). Back in those days, commentators would get excited about players having 30+ disposals, or kicking 10+ goals, etc with virtually zero analysis of what happened to those disposals, where they were picked up, how, when, and who was most influential in getting the ball to the bloke kicking 10+ goals, etc.

Anyway, stats have steadily been building up since that time; so apart from the American sports, there wouldn't be too many sports using as many stats as what are to be found in our game (perhaps cricket comes close) and thus, we're miles ahead of the the other major sports like league, netball and soccer.

In fact, for such a prominent game, with no limit to the textual analysis available, soccer to this day relies on minimal, rudimentary stats, and in fact the whole concept of stats is frowned upon in some quarters (Italian journalists will write up a double page spread on a nil-all draw in the Serie A without the need to reference one single stat).

The triple double was a big deal at one stage

10 marks, 10 kicks, 10 handballs

Obviously they play a large and growing role in how the sport works for both coaches and fans and I understand they're owned (at least partly) by the AFL but I'd be interested to know how much is Champion Data worth?

Anyone got any market intel? Revenue/earnings numbers, peer companies, other benchmarks (or just wild speculation!) that might point to the answer?

Also do they cover other sports or is it purely AFL?

Here is my back of envelope calculation. The_Wookie put up the 2016 AFL annual report - ASIC lodgement version at
http://footyindustry.com/files/afl/finance/2016/Australian Football League 2016 Concise Annual Report.pdf

In the Profit and Loss Statement it reduces the Consolidated Loss by $801,000 which is for Non-Controlling Interest ie the minority interest.

If you go to note 22 it shows Consolidated Entities and the only one the AFL doesn't own 100% is Champion Data and is listed at 49%. So if $801k = 51% then 100% = $1.57mil. Now the ASX All Ordinaries average Price Earnings ratio is 15, but you would think for a company like this not on the stock market it would be in the 6 to 10 range. I have no idea what industry group you would put it in to get an industry average for stock exchange listed PE average vs private PE ratio.

So my best guess would be between 6-10 time earnings ie $9mil to $16mil range. But who knows the correct PE ratio might be 2.

May Bob be with you!

Here is my back of envelope calculation. The_Wookie put up the 2016 AFL annual report - ASIC lodgement version at
http://footyindustry.com/files/afl/finance/2016/Australian Football League 2016 Concise Annual Report.pdf

In the Profit and Loss Statement it reduces the Consolidated Loss by $801,000 which is for Non-Controlling Interest ie the minority interest.

If you go to note 22 it shows Consolidated Entities and the only one the AFL doesn't own 100% is Champion Data and is listed at 49%. So if $801k = 51% then 100% = $1.57mil. Now the ASX All Ordinaries average Price Earnings ratio is 15, but you would think for a company like this not on the stock market it would be in the 6 to 10 range. I have no idea what industry group you would put it in to get an industry average for stock exchange listed PE average vs private PE ratio.

So my best guess would be between 6-10 time earnings ie $9mil to $16mil range. But who knows the correct PE ratio might be 2.

May Bob be with you!
Great sleuthing RussellEbertHandball - appreciate the info and I think you're probably on the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back