Travel How old is 'too old' to stay in a backpacker hostel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Malifice

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you think it was because you were self conscious about it, or did you actually pick up a vibe and receive "looks" telling you that you didn't belong?
Both (although it's hard to tell).

I found high levels of antipathy (and even occasional hostility) from fellow Aussies and a few Kiwis. The Europeans, Canadians and Americans were much more open and friendly. Even then you'd often bounce from invisible to a social leper until you found your groove.

I do recall when I was younger and in the scene properly, there would always be that lone creepy older dude at the Hostel (its a stereotype). To the point you would wind up wary of any older dude, because there was a good chance he was a creep (not all were, but a sizeable number certainly were). The stigma kind of carries over to pretty much every middle aged dude in hostels.

Travelers as a whole are a pretty open bunch though.

I didnt have much of a problem meeting friends, and hooking up etc and all the usual social stuff. Your personality always shines though to most people; if you're a dick it doesnt matter how old you are really, and if youre an awesome dude, few people are going to write you off simply because you're older as well.

I guess I overcompensated and was super mindful at times not to come off wrong, rather than (when I was a younger bloke) I could just be myself and not worry as much. That was the main difference.

Im totally going to do it again when borders open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad