How ripped is Sam Stosur?

Remove this Banner Ad

Give her credit. She bounced back from the 2nd set which went to a tiebreaker and got comfortably beaten, can't say she ****ed it up. Next set she saved a match point. Could've easily stuffed it up then and there but she kept going and actually took her chances when she got it and beat the best player in the world in a tight match. If that isn't nerves of steel then i don't know what is.
Sam's effort has been terrific, particularly this year in beating Williams and Henin, although I'm aware she's been in the semis of the French previously. However she has been widely regarded as being mentally flaky until now. Hopefully she rises above that in her remaining match/es in this tournament and has a "breakthrough" in her career. Once she has the belief she could become a lock in the top 5 in the world.

when sam wins the final and if i did my math right she will be at least ranked 5th and highest 3rd coming out of her first grand slam win.

and for the record, she aint no lez o

When was the last time we had an Aussie ranked as high as her?

Now, I know that we haven't had a Women's Finalist since Turnbull in 1980 but that doesn't necessarily mean that we haven't had someone ranked highly who for whatever reason didn't quite make it all the way (Provis-Bradtke, for example).

OK - has anyone asked the obvious question?

1. Average player, suddenly has a breakout year at age 30.

2. Very strong build. Better muscles than most blokes I know.

3. Opponent says - "she plays like a man'.

Seriously, if she was from another country, the media would be all over this like a rash - but because she's an Aussie we don't whisper the S-word.

I'm sure she's passed all the tests, but she's going to have that suspicion attached to her (rightly or wrongly) for the rest of her career - just like Mauresmo had.

1. Avereage player, suddenly has a breakout year at age 30.

Seriously, if she was from another country, the media would be all over this like a rash - but because she's an Aussie we don't whisper the S-word.

I'm sure she's passed all the tests, but she's going to have that suspicion attached to her (rightly or wrongly) for the rest of her career - kust like Mauresmo had.

Yeah but Mauresmo had other signs - the square jaw, the facial breakouts, the whiskers lol.

Well for starters Stosur's 26, not 30, and she's had her share of issues leading up to (and which have probably delayed) this breakout stage of her career. Further to that the chick's had an exceptionally power game all along, even back when she was a pup (granted she has picked up -some- punch with age, training and maturity but that's entirely normal). It has always been the mental toughness standing between her and the top 10, if not the top 5 (hell she could probably hold the top ranking at one stage or another if she's able to sustain some belief in herself).

I mean look - clearly she has put some extra hours in at the gym to push her conditioning, but even then looking at her there are bulkier players on tour. If this power had emerged out of the blue I'd have been suspicious, but once again, she has always been a power hitter. The complexion of her matches has shifted simply because she has stood up to a bit of adversity in game situations, when traditionally she'd buckle. Playing with some belief and purpose. :thumbsu:

when sam wins the final and if i did my math right she will be at least ranked 5th and highest 3rd coming out of her first grand slam win.

and for the record, she aint no lez o

Nah, she will be ranked 6th no matter what happens in the final. She made the Semis last year, so she's only gaining about 1100 points. Points-wise shes just outside the top 5, but with pretty average performances at the US and Wimbledon last year, she has a real chance to gain some ground on the others.

2qrznn7.jpg

Samantha-Stosur-ap_1432286c.jpg

H....

Obvious to who?

1. Average player, suddenly has a breakout year at age 30.
Average player? You must be kidding. And try doing some research next time.

She has a good build. More women should work harder on their strength and fitness. Then again, so should men. Most people never really commit themselves to gym and have no idea how good they could look if they put in the effort.

As opposed to so many women that play like weak little girls and should be embarassed to consider themselves professional sports women?

I'm sure she's passed all the tests, but she's going to have that suspicion attached to her (rightly or wrongly) for the rest of her career - just like Mauresmo had.
You are so far off the mark it's not funny. Suspicion attached to her for the rest of her career? :rolleyes: Bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there in Wimbledon 2007 and Stosur was a lowly seeded player back then (28th seed or something)

I didnt read too much into it back then

Shes obviously made a leap in her game, especially her CLAYCOURT game

One thing that can be agreed upon here is she has made it under her on accord

Theres been no fanfare or unnecessary public talk like how you would get for Lleyton Hewitt, Bernard Tomic or Jelena Dokic.

Now we all know you don't know what you are talking about...

Actually I was spot on.

Her game is still at the same high level but she has improved mentally to be able produce it more consistently when it counts.

She now has belief in her game she didn't have previously, and enough experience in big matches to not collapse with nerves.

Having said that she should have beaten Serena in straight sets, but the tennis she played to close out in a very tense third set was outstanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back