Remove this Banner Ad

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I've been playing footy for a number of years, and my biggest weakness was reading the play. I don't get many touches in the senoirs side, and I recongised it was because of my lack of footy sense and reading the play. Games like keeping offs, where it touches the ground, turnover. I am the worst at, and rarely get a touch. Because of my weakness. So I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any tips or advice as to where to run, and things like that, thankyou.

So I've been playing footy for a number of years, and my biggest weakness was reading the play. I don't get many touches in the senoirs side, and I recongised it was because of my lack of footy sense and reading the play. Games like keeping offs, where it touches the ground, turnover. I am the worst at, and rarely get a touch. Because of my weakness. So I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any tips or advice as to where to run, and things like that, thankyou.
I totally endorse the comments of Mr Mackay - the only thing I would add is go and watch higher standard games live and watch where the large possession winners go to position themselves to get a kick. When I was a kid (U/15) I would occasionally fill in in the Reserves to make up numbers. One day I played on an ageing legend and effectively tagged him - he was a great bloke and he say to me in his laconic drawl “let’s go over here stallion, we might get a kick here” and so we’d head off over there and sure enough the ball would come and based purely on athletic capability I’d get there first and win the ball - if you can work out where the ball is going and not get sucked into play you are guaranteed lots of possession

I've only recently started to coach (year10's) and its transformed my view on the game incredibly. Highly recommmend it to any player to take up an assistant / coaching gig if they want to dramatically improve their reading of the game.

One of the biggest changes for me was to stop watching whose carrying the ball and instead trying to Envisage the game two plays ahead. This was to ensure my players were giving themselves enough time to become the next option and fill the holes down the field.

Like Mr. Mackay said.

OBSERVE AND REPORT (make mental notes).

Not something that can be "taught" as such. But if you watch the best players and learn more about your team mates and the style of play as the season evolves you'll be able to anticipate on instinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back