How/Why I became a Fremantle Supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Gimme the Fyfe

All Australian
Sep 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the spirit of the first game of our inaugural premiership year, I thought I’d share a memory of how I first got into the Dockers in their inaugural year. 🙂

I was 10 and my family and I immigrated from Europe to Australia several years earlier. I had a strong accent, we weren't wealthy and so I couldn't afford to wear the same clothes as the other kids; I felt like an outsider. All my primary school friends were into footy, so during recess and lunch time we would kick a small footy on the primary school oval; imagining four of the metal poles on the back of the school fence as goal posts, I hardly knew what I was doing or which angle to kick the ball, I do remember kicking it 90 degrees off (the long way) sometimes. On some school days, some of the kids wore their favourite team’s guernsey (my best friend was from Colac and his team was Geelong). Being in Adelaide, most of the other kids barracked the Crows. I didn’t have a team but I wanted a my own guernsey and wasn’t going to be an Adelaide Crows one - in a public Adelaide school in the 90s, being a young, foreign kid with an accent that stood out and wasn’t quite accepted at the time had its own set of problems so I didn't want to be an Adelaide supporter. I didn't know much about footy, my first memories were of hearing "West Coast Eagles" a lot in the media, obviously they had one a premiership the year before and when a game was on TV I thought "Mark" was some superstar player because I kept hearing "Mark". When the TV news were on the "Fremantle Dockers" were mentioned constantly, although I didn't know the context, just hearing it said a lot - the seed was planted! My best friend and I flipped through a sticker collecting book – you would collect the stickers of the players (sometimes these rare glittering mascots for each team page - and put them into the blank spots of the number meant for the sticker of that player, etc. The players on the other teams had cool ‘action shot' photos taken during games with crowds in the background. In contrast, Freo’s photo’s were conspicuously boring - kicking the ball around a bare training ground with no fans in the background, just sand and machinery presumably building some stands. Each team had their cheer squad as the background, but because it was Fremantle’s first year their background was of a photo simply a scenic photo from Fremantle - a port with docked ships during a sunrise - it stood out from the rest. I asked my friend why the Fremantle page was different and he told me they they weren’t playing the year before, that they were a new team and so far had only played a few games and "played badly", well, its always been in my nature to go for an underdog, so I liked what I saw and heard so far. I was drawn to their humble team page in the sticker book. In the media they were made fun of for being different and were underestimated, they were clearly the outsiders.. I liked the way “Fremantle” sounded and their guernsey looked amazing. They were new, I was new to the AFL and I was new to the country. In Fremantle I had a team with characteristics I found analogous to myself and I wanted to follow them from the beginning of their time in the AFL.

I started following their games and learning the rules of the sport. They certainly looked and played different - they had an unpredictability that made the team interesting and exciting, that was clear much even then - they could make some atrocious mistakes by any standard, lose against the worst of the teams at the time; St. Kilda or Fitzroy but then knock top teams like Carlton off their perch, so I was hooked – I quickly became passionate for this team! I went at the Doctor Harry Cooper ‘Talk to the Animals’ show at the Wayville Showgrounds while I was missing the Fremantle vs Carlton game, what was being touted as the upcoming trashing of the season. I was missing the game and wanted badly to know how it was progressing, so when I saw a man decked out in his team's club gear and listening to a radio antenna headset (he was wearing Carlton merch and rightly so, they had a lot to boast about that year, no team was going to beat them). If anyone knew the live score it was that guy. I asked him and in a frustrated but bemused way he told me that Fremantle were up by quite a bit! (That’s what I remember, I may be wrong but I’m not going to check, I’m going all by memory here). He was a burly, Aussie man and I was a little kid feeling intimidated and somehow scared that my team looked like it was going to beat his; the Carlton behemoth of the era, so I remember seeming being apologetic but I remember him, if anything, seeming gracious in the imminent defeat. Following this win was the moment that people on shows like the Footy Show (which I watched for the panel's tips on the Fremantle game (always 5 minutes before the end of the show) and the lookalikes as well as a couple of other day-time shows and talkback footy radio. Everyone was eat their own words and gained a certain respect for the Dockers, and as brief as it was, Fremantle was the talk of the week (Yes! I even listened to talkback radio as a kid with 'KG and Cornsey', I was hooked on Fremantle now!)

(I will wrap this up, I promise. Now for my favourite part and which is why I wanted to share this in the first place..)

I started becoming closer with my friends and kids at school, we had a new common ground in footy and I was becoming more accepted. I pleaded with my dad to buy me that wonderful Fremantle guernsey. Those official guernseys weren’t cheap and he didn’t understand why he should spend so much money on me having it, we certainly weren’t rich. It took a lot of convincing but I was persistent! 🙂 I got my Freo guernsey and was both was excited and nervous to wear it to school but I rocked up to primary school wearing my new Freo guernsey in style with a few laughs from the Crows kids and told them that I couldn't wait until we played beat them in the next meeting, which didn't happen, we got Modra though and that more than made up for it later on.

At ESL (English as a second language), my tutor had an idea. She saw me wearing my coveted new jumper, and didn’t ask why I wasn’t wearing a Crows jumper, which would have been an indirect way of saying ‘you should be supporting the Crows’, she was a smart teacher and skipped to “who is your favourite Fremantle player? Well, at the time and age I didn’t appreciate the game in the sense to really have a favourite player based on anything nuanced so I told her “Ben Allan” because he is the captain and wears my favourite number. As an English learning exercise she suggested that I write a letter to the ‘Fremantle Fan Club’ in Perth (I didn’t even know where Perth was). I wrote the letter and described a lot of what I wrote here, ie. immigrating from Europe etc and that he was my favourite player and I wanted him to play well LOL). Several months later, after I had forgotten about my letter and the first thing my year 5 home group teacher told me that morning was that my ESL teacher had a special surprise for me that day - I asked him what it was but he told me I would have to wait until my lesson to find out from her. Well, she showed me an envelope with the Fremantle Dockers emblem on it, took the letter out and asked me to read it to her. And this is what it was..

Thank you for reading 🙂

Ben Allan Letter & Autographed Trading Card 1995.jpg

The card I sent Ben Allan came all the way back from this amazing town I had imagined but had never visited.

My dad laminated the letter at work and I've kept the card in perfect condition in the plastic box since 1995 🙂

Guernsey Front.jpg

That 1995 woolen guernsey.

Guernsey Back.jpg

With Ben Allan's '7' sown on by my mum.

Last edited:
In the spirit of the first game of our inaugural premiership year, I thought I’d share a memory of how I first got into the Dockers in their inaugural year. 🙂

I was 10 and my family and I immigrated from Europe to Australia several years earlier. I had a strong accent, we weren't wealthy and so I couldn't afford to wear the same clothes as the other kids; I felt like an outsider. As kids, all my primary school friends were into footy, so during recces and lunch time we would play and kick a small footy on the primary school oval; imagining four of the metal poles on the back of the school fence as goal posts, I hardly knew what I was doing or which angle to kick the ball, I do remember kicking it 90 degrees off (the long way) sometimes. On some school days, some of the kids brought their favourite team’s guernsey (my best friend was from Colac and his team was Geelong). Most of the other kids barracked the Crows. I didn’t have a team but I wanted a my own guernsey and wasn’t going to be an Adelaide Crows guernsey - in a public Adelaide school in the 90s, being a young, foreign kid with an accent that stood out and wasn’t quite accepted at the time had its problems. We flipped through a sticker collecting book – you would collect the stickers and put them into the blank spots of the number meant for the sticker of that player on the team’s page. Each team had their cheer squad as the background, but because it was Fremantle’s first year so their background was of a port with docked ships during a sunrise (it stood out from the rest). The other thing that stood out were that the players on the other teams had cool ‘action shots’, photos during games with crowds behind them. In contrast, Freo’s photo’s were conspicuously boring - kicking the ball around on a bare training ground, no fans in the background. I asked my friend why the Fremantle’s page was different and he told me they they weren’t playing the year before, they were a new team and were awfully bad so far we this was only several games into the 1995 season. In contrast, I liked the their humble team page in the sticker book, they stood out; they were made fun of for being different and were underestimated. They were the outsiders.. I liked the way “Fremantle” sounded and their guernsey looked amazing to me. They were new, I was new to the AFL and I was new to the country. In Fremantle I had a team with characteristics I found analogous to myself as a person and I wanted to follow them from the beginning of their time in the AFL.

I started following their games and learning the rules of the sport. They certainly looked and played different, I could see that much even then, they could make some atrocious mistakes by any standard, lose against the worst of the teams at the time; St. Kilda or Fitzroy but then knock top teams like Carlton off their perch, so I was hooked – I was passionate for this team! I remember being at the Doctor Harry ‘Talk to the Animals’ show at the Wayville Showgrounds while I was missing the Fremantle vs Carlton game, what was being touted as the upcoming trashing of the season. I was missing the game and but saw a man decked out in his teams club gear listening to a radio antenna headset (he was wearing Carlton merch and rightly so, they had a lot to boast about that year, no team was going to beat them that year). If anyone knew the live score it was that guy. So I asked him and in a frustrated but bemused way he told me that Fremantle were up by quite a bit! (That’s what I remember, I may be wrong but I’m not going to check, I’m going all by memory here). He was a burly, Aussie man and I was a little kid feeling intimidated and somehow scared that my team was beating his; the Carlton behemoth of the era, so I remember seeming being apologetic but I remember him, if anything else, seeming gracious in the imminent defeat. Now this was the moment that people on shows like the Footy Show and a couple of other day-time shows as well as talkback footy radio had to eat their words and gained a certain respect for the Dockers, brief as it was, Fremantle was the talk of the week (Yes! I even listened to talkback radio as a kid, I was hooked on Fremantle now!)

(I will wrap this up, I promise. Now for my favourite part and what made me want to share this in the first ..)

I started becoming closer with my friends and kids at school, we had a new common ground in footy and I was becoming more accepted. I pleaded with my dad to buy me that wonderful Fremantle guernsey (it was so appealing to me as a kid!). Those official guernseys weren’t cheap and he didn’t understand why he should spend so much money on me having it, we certainly weren’t rich. It took a lot of convincing but I was persistent! I was excited and nervous but I rocked up to primary school wearing a Freo guernsey!

At ESL (English as a second language), my tutor had an idea. She saw me wearing my coveted new jumper, and didn’t ask why I wasn’t wearing a Crows jumper, an indirect way of saying ‘you should be supporting the Crows’, she was a smart teacher and skipped to “who is your favourite Fremantle player? Well, at the time and age I didn’t appreciate the game in the sense to really have a favourite player based on anything nuanced so I told her “Ben Allan” because he is the captain and wears my favourite number. As an English learning exercise she suggested that I write a letter to the ‘Fremantle Fan Club’ in Perth (I didn’t even know where Perth was). I wrote the letter and described a lot of what I wrote here, ie. immigrating from Europe etc and that he was my favourite player and I wanted him to play well LOL). Several months later, after I had forgotten about the letter my year 5 teacher told me that my ESL teacher had a special surprise for me, I asked him what but he told me I would have to wait until me lesson to find out from her. Well, she showed me an envelope with the Fremantle Dockers emblem on it, took the letter out and asked me to read it to her. And this is what it was..

Thank you for reading 🙂

View attachment 1633620

My dad laminated the letter at work and I've kept the card in perfect condition in the plastic box since 1995 🙂
Ur in the running for Best Big Footy Post of All Time.
Thx so much - I'll say why I support the Dockers when I have a bit more time.
Thx for starting a brilliant thread.

I was a little kid feeling intimidated and somehow scared that my team looked like it was going to beat his

1995 Freo v Carlton wasn't the game we won but perhaps this was your memorable day meeting the only gracious Carlton supporter on the planet:

Round: 3 Venue: Subiaco Date: Sun, 14-Apr-1996 4:10 PM (6:10 PM) Attendance: 22652​
Fremantle
Carlton
Qrt margin
FR by 5
FR by 30
FR by 27
FR by 53
Qrt scores
FR 21-16
FR 30-5
CA 13-10
FR 41-15
Field umpiresGeoff Caulfield (57), Martin Ellis (3), Hayden Kennedy (140)

I claim insanity. We were originally members of 'that other team', but were getting annoyed at their 'front runner attitude' - probably why I get annoyed when I see negativity from fellow Freo fans.

We went to a meeting at Fremantle Oval about the future of football in the state, and I guess we were concerned that an amalgamation of SF and EF to preserve the depth of WCE would further decimate the WAFL competition.

Later, the birth of Fremantle was launched on tv, with that ghastly (no much loved) cheesy jumper (which is now much loved).

As newly weds in our first home, we weren't financial enough to become Harbour Masters, but we decided to become Foundation Members. Hubby is member 101, and I am member 102!! :)

We stupidly tried to support both teams, but after having rocks thrown at us at Subiaco Oval (at the city end) by WCEs supporters, it was EASY to stick with Freo!! :freo:💜💜💜💜💜

Coming from Adelaide to Perth, in 92, it was natural to adopt a local side. WCE never resonated with me and when a "local port" side was founded it was a pretty easy choice.

The connection was further cemented by guys like Josh Carr, lower, sutcliffe, pearce and clive waterhouse.

Mum and dad moved across last year and they have followed the lead.

Last edited:
I started Auskick the year they joined, and never really liked the Eagles. I tend to support the opposite team to those around me, same reason I supported Man City (before they were good); my mate went for United so I went for City for the banter. We had a bet on the game that city flogged them 6 goals to something and Balotelli lit it up. He had travelled all the way there to be at that game too.

Anyway, became a member in 2003 and have barely missed a home game since.

I was 10 and my family and I immigrated from Europe to Australia several years earlier. I had a strong accent, we weren't wealthy and so I couldn't afford to wear the same clothes as the other kids; I felt like an outsider. All my primary school friends were into footy, so during recess and lunch time we would kick a small footy on the primary school oval; imagining four of the metal poles on the back of the school fence as goal posts, I hardly knew what I was doing or which angle to kick the ball, I do remember kicking it 90 degrees off (the long way) sometimes. On some school days, some of the kids wore their favourite team’s guernsey (my best friend was from Colac and his team was Geelong). Being in Adelaide, most of the other kids barracked the Crows. I didn’t have a team but I wanted a my own guernsey and wasn’t going to be an Adelaide Crows one - in a public Adelaide school in the 90s, being a young, foreign kid with an accent that stood out and wasn’t quite accepted at the time had its own set of problems so I didn't want to be an Adelaide supporter. I didn't know much about footy, my first memories were of hearing "West Coast Eagles" a lot in the media, obviously they had one a premiership the year before and when a game was on TV I thought "Mark" was some superstar player because I kept hearing "Mark". When the TV news were on the "Fremantle Dockers" were mentioned constantly, although I didn't know the context, just hearing it said a lot - the seed was planted! My best friend and I flipped through a sticker collecting book – you would collect the stickers of the players (sometimes these rare glittering mascots for each team page - and put them into the blank spots of the number meant for the sticker of that player, etc. The players on the other teams had cool ‘action shot' photos taken during games with crowds in the background. In contrast, Freo’s photo’s were conspicuously boring - kicking the ball around a bare training ground with no fans in the background, just sand and machinery presumably building some stands. Each team had their cheer squad as the background, but because it was Fremantle’s first year their background was of a photo simply a scenic photo from Fremantle - a port with docked ships during a sunrise - it stood out from the rest. I asked my friend why the Fremantle page was different and he told me they they weren’t playing the year before, that they were a new team and so far had only played a few games and "played badly", well, its always been in my nature to go for an underdog, so I liked what I saw and heard so far. I was drawn to their humble team page in the sticker book. In the media they were made fun of for being different and were underestimated, they were clearly the outsiders.. I liked the way “Fremantle” sounded and their guernsey looked amazing. They were new, I was new to the AFL and I was new to the country. In Fremantle I had a team with characteristics I found analogous to myself and I wanted to follow them from the beginning of their time in the AFL.

I started following their games and learning the rules of the sport. They certainly looked and played different - they had an unpredictability that made the team interesting and exciting, that was clear much even then - they could make some atrocious mistakes by any standard, lose against the worst of the teams at the time; St. Kilda or Fitzroy but then knock top teams like Carlton off their perch, so I was hooked – I quickly became passionate for this team! I went at the Doctor Harry Cooper ‘Talk to the Animals’ show at the Wayville Showgrounds while I was missing the Fremantle vs Carlton game, what was being touted as the upcoming trashing of the season. I was missing the game and wanted badly to know how it was progressing, so when I saw a man decked out in his team's club gear and listening to a radio antenna headset (he was wearing Carlton merch and rightly so, they had a lot to boast about that year, no team was going to beat them). If anyone knew the live score it was that guy. I asked him and in a frustrated but bemused way he told me that Fremantle were up by quite a bit! (That’s what I remember, I may be wrong but I’m not going to check, I’m going all by memory here). He was a burly, Aussie man and I was a little kid feeling intimidated and somehow scared that my team looked like it was going to beat his; the Carlton behemoth of the era, so I remember seeming being apologetic but I remember him, if anything, seeming gracious in the imminent defeat. Following this win was the moment that people on shows like the Footy Show (which I watched for the panel's tips on the Fremantle game (always 5 minutes before the end of the show) and the lookalikes as well as a couple of other day-time shows and talkback footy radio. Everyone was eat their own words and gained a certain respect for the Dockers, and as brief as it was, Fremantle was the talk of the week (Yes! I even listened to talkback radio as a kid with 'KG and Cornsey', I was hooked on Fremantle now!)

(I will wrap this up, I promise. Now for my favourite part and which is why I wanted to share this in the first place..)

I started becoming closer with my friends and kids at school, we had a new common ground in footy and I was becoming more accepted. I pleaded with my dad to buy me that wonderful Fremantle guernsey. Those official guernseys weren’t cheap and he didn’t understand why he should spend so much money on me having it, we certainly weren’t rich. It took a lot of convincing but I was persistent! 🙂 I got my Freo guernsey and was both was excited and nervous to wear it to school but I rocked up to primary school wearing my new Freo guernsey in style with a few laughs from the Crows kids and told them that I couldn't wait until we played beat them in the next meeting, which didn't happen, we got Modra though and that more than made up for it later on.

At ESL (English as a second language), my tutor had an idea. She saw me wearing my coveted new jumper, and didn’t ask why I wasn’t wearing a Crows jumper, which would have been an indirect way of saying ‘you should be supporting the Crows’, she was a smart teacher and skipped to “who is your favourite Fremantle player? Well, at the time and age I didn’t appreciate the game in the sense to really have a favourite player based on anything nuanced so I told her “Ben Allan” because he is the captain and wears my favourite number. As an English learning exercise she suggested that I write a letter to the ‘Fremantle Fan Club’ in Perth (I didn’t even know where Perth was). I wrote the letter and described a lot of what I wrote here, ie. immigrating from Europe etc and that he was my favourite player and I wanted him to play well LOL). Several months later, after I had forgotten about my letter and the first thing my year 5 home group teacher told me that morning was that my ESL teacher had a special surprise for me that day - I asked him what it was but he told me I would have to wait until my lesson to find out from her. Well, she showed me an envelope with the Fremantle Dockers emblem on it, took the letter out and asked me to read it to her. And this is what it was..

Thank you for reading 🙂

View attachment 1633620

The card I sent Ben Allan came all the way back from this amazing town I had imagined but had never visited.

View attachment 1633703

That 1995 woolen guernsey.

View attachment 1633704

With Ben Allan's '7' sown on by my mum.
I'll start the guernsey bidding at $100 000 and we'll take bids of $10s:)

I'm just Fremantle through and through. Family were all South Freo supporters (dad's side at least). Mum and dad both grew up in the Freo area. I was born at Woodside Hospital in East Freo and grew up in the Freo area. Dad had no affinity for the Eagles as "they claimed to represent WA but they didn't represent me". It was only natural that we would become supporters of a Fremantle based team.

Parents got season tickets in the clubs first season.

The better question for me is why did I stay.

The early horror years were during my teenage years attending eagle heavy primary / high-schools was not an easy time…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a kid I loved the colours Blue and white. East freo were my first footy love followed by Queens park rangers in soccer, When I really started to follow AFL mid 95-96 It was either Kangaroos or Freo. Went freo instead of following my love for blue and white. Liked the fact we weren't given a state side like Those w***ers West coast slimeballs, thought when we had success we would of really earned it. Still waiting. We might never get there in my lifetime. After our RD1 effort and watching some of the good sides play (not all of them won) it seems we are a galaxy away from it.

I used to follow the Brisbane Bears when I was a kid until they became the Brisbane Lions. Then they became good and I clearly needed to follow another down and out team, and as I am a south of the river boy originally and was heavily involved in music and (for a little while) study in Fremantle, it must have all just clicked.

Having said that, I will probably follow Gold Coast Suns after we win a premiership because I need to flog myself constantly and also I went there for the first time this year and they have a high proportion of female beauties (at least physically) there, totally sad creature that I am.

Moved to Australia when I was 11 and always loved my sport. Remember clearly the first game I saw on TV involved the Western Bulldogs. Given their name I assumed they were from WA so decided they were my team. Followed them for a week or so before being told they're Victorian (still very misleading imo).

Then when footy season started I found the Eagles kids extremely arrogant and hated their default retort of ' how many premierships have you won' to the few Freo fans.

Found myself going from sympathiser to supporter.

Also thought Medhurst was the coolest guy ever when he played for us at the time which helped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Born and raised in and around Freo (I'm also a Woodside baby gaskin). My first love was and always will be South Freo, and supporting Freo is an extension of that particularly as I've lived interstate/overseas for the vast majority of Freo's time in the AFL.

Never had a VFL team, but I supported South Freo players who played in them (eg: Maurice Rioli at Richmond, Hardie at Footscray, Winmar at St Kilda, the bunch of Souths players that the Weags plundered), and still do to this day.

Followed Souths

I remember the debate about the expansion of the national comp. Didn't think it was handled well and didn't like the way the Eagles were created. Told everyone I would support a Fremantle team if there ever was one - but I did go to a couple of eagles games a year while I waited. no affinity for the eagles grew while I waited.

I put in a membership form the day I could get my hands on one so i have a very low membership number. Bought my first memorabilia at the Royal SHow which would have been 7 or so months before the first game. Went to practice matches at East Freo and at Freo oval in the run up to the first season. Didn't travel to the first official game as I couldn't afford it but didn't miss a home gome for the first couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back