Restricted Free Agent Hugh McCluggage [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond, St Kilda, Essendon and Hawthorn would also kill for an elite mid type like McLuggage

The good news for you is the kiss of death has started this thread, I expect McLug to re-sign with the Lions any day now :)
He's exactly the class our midfield needs and we would easily have the cap room post this season, but he'd be a few years early for when we need him.

If we were a bit more advanced in our rebuild perfect, but not quite ready for the big RFA splash just yet. Also, wouldn't want to come until we're a bit more advanced, can't see him wanting to be in a rebuild right now.

Who knows if theres anything to it but I'd read on Fox somewhere last week that St Kilda have heaps of money to spare and are going after him.

Honestly you'd be silly not try - a bit surprised his name hasn't appeared more.

Fine player in a very good side, (prolly the most skilled going around) and the club seems well set up off field.

I think he'd be silly to become a free agent trade, unless there's a pressing non footy reason eg family.

Totally respect players who have to go home, and they should look after their families financially of course, I think Brisbane can do that.

If he did get traded/FA'd then you'd think the compo would be good.

Fine player in a very good side, (prolly the most skilled going around) and the club seems well set up off field.

I think he'd be silly to become a free agent trade, unless there's a pressing non footy reason eg family.

Totally respect players who have to go home, and they should look after their families financially of course, I think Brisbane can do that.

If he did get traded/FA'd then you'd think the compo would be good.

It will be tier 1 value but you’d expect Lions to be too high on ladder to get “fair” compensation

The fact that Hugh is one of the hottest players on the market this year and this thread is basically empty, might tell you a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a good player but slightly being overrated lately because of the lack of free agents. the guy rarely wins you matches off his own boot, he is just a very good solid contributer.

It will be tier 1 value but you’d expect Lions to be too high on ladder to get “fair” compensation
Or maybe not. I wonder if he starts looking this is the end of an era at Brisbane now or with effectively 2 Ashcroft's coming in next year this is just a 1 year drop before a big rebound

Or maybe not. I wonder if he starts looking this is the end of an era at Brisbane now or with effectively 2 Ashcroft's coming in next year this is just a 1 year drop before a big rebound

I think the players are mentally a bit exhausted so might need the full off period plus preseason for first time since 2018 to refresh.

Our list profile is ok plus lot of top end talent added through f/s and academy.

We have the toughest draw in the comp this season so if we finish outside the 8 could get a much nicer one next year, ala Geelong this year.

Is there a metric used to determine that?

You can google the articles which set it out. Basically a combination of our double ups and travel. 3x SA and 2x WA is an uncommon fixture compared to other fixtures I’m pretty sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back