Toast Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep him forward. Put your best players in the position that can do the most damage. He has all the attributes of becoming a gun forward.

You can always pinch hit in defence and with Hooker improving and Pears doing unbelievably well then we don't really need him there.

Just put the guy up forward and keep him there. Honestly, he'll reap the rewards and it'll groom him to be Lloyd's replacement with the football brain of Hird.

This kid looks like he'll be kicking 8 in the next few years. Just what we need!

With Hille and Ryder in the ruck, Watson will have his nirvana. The ball delivery will be superb. I can sense a great future already.

Everyone is talking about Hurls, but I love his ability to keep level headed and not let it all get to him. Watson seems to let the hype affect him, but I'm confident in the fact that Hurley will be able to top his previous efforts.

Been waiting a long time for a true superstar! Deserves all the praise he gets. :thumbsu:

The essential for Hurley is work with a sprint coach and improve his pace.

A good sprint coach will improve his technique and improve his 20 metre time from 3.00 to around 2.90 as an example.

I imagine that Hurley will spend more time in the forward line than the back.

I am confident in the ability of Hooker and Pears holding the key back positions with assistance from Fletcher.

Hurley, neagle and Gumbleton to be key forwards.

Daniher to be a swingman.

I would like Still to be trialled in defence for bendigo to add to his versatility.

I don't get this stuff about him being slow. Numerous times he's burnt his opponent on the lead or ran around them while in possession.

Genuine question - Is his pace really an issue? Is he not fast enough?

If we somehow loose to the Crows this week he will still be able to qualify for the NAB Rising Star.

To qualify for the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination, a player must be under 21 years of age as at January 1 of that year, must not have played more than 10 games to the start of that season and must not have been suspended by the AFL or State League tribunals during the season.

The Crows game will be number 10 for him.

He has to be a runaway favourite to win it in 2010!

so he is isn't the fastest player in the league, he sure looks quick enough, wana know why? its because he has an ability much, much more important than sheer pace, he can read the play!! he knows where the ball will go and when, he can read it in the air, therefore he can put himself in the best posible position to get the ball, he doesnt need to be super quick because he knows where the ball is going and will put himself there 1st everytime! look at james hird, was he quick compared to others? not that i can remember, but because he was smart and read the play he was a superstar, same applies with hurls. footy smarts will always beat pace on the field, because the bloke with smarts is already under the ball by the time the fast player knows where its going

we cant let this blokes talent waste in the backline, love to see him playing up forward as much as possible, frightening prospect if gumby comes through with theses 2 occupying chf and ff

I don't get this stuff about him being slow. Numerous times he's burnt his opponent on the lead or ran around them while in possession.

Genuine question - Is his pace really an issue? Is he not fast enough?

I think his pace already has proven to be an issue, I know its a bit harsh for a first year player, but I have seen him at senior and VFL level get burnt for pace - whilst playing as a defender. That is the key.

He really struggled for matchups against Richmond and West Coast for example, and really, bar one mark against Riewoldt, the hype machine has gone into overdrive on him mainly for what he is doing as a forward.

As a forward, pace is a non-issue. As a defender, it can definitely be. Teams will hit up his opponent.

But, you dont waste your obvious talents in the backline. As harsh as it seems, a player with the right physical makeup can make it in the backline - and we probably have those in Pears and Hooker.

The obvious blue chip talents should be played up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But, you dont waste your obvious talents in the backline. As harsh as it seems, a player with the right physical makeup can make it in the backline - and we probably have those in Pears and Hooker.

I'm not sure if its that black and white. With the level of defensive pressure that good sides (e.g. Collingwood, St. Kilda) will put on a side attempting to move the ball out of the backline, players need to have good vision and disposal skills. There might be a loose player available to handball to, but on the other hand that option might simply not be there. An average player will then turn the ball over or get caught holding the ball, causing a goal to the opposition. A good player, on the other hand, will find the right option under pressure, and execute, potentially finding a player with space and setting up a goal at the other end of the field. That's potentially a two goal turnaround. That's not to say Hurley should definitely play back, though. It's up to him and the coaches to work out where he fits best into the team structure.

Regarding the defense, obviously Hurley should never play on a small forward - I think that goes without saying - but he will match up well in a key position role.

Hurley Will be the next Jesus!

And I intend to make it my lifes work, sculpting a giant image of my new deity. Using only the finest marble imported from Italy, I will create a Hurley Mecca, for which his followers will pilgrimage to pray at his feet.
We will present virgins to him, and bring him offerings of the finest fruits and wines.

ALL HAIL HURLEY!
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY ONE!

^^ lol :D

Here is an excellent, must read article from Garry Lyon:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...1251570710113.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Michael Hurley was playing in the back line in his first game, opposed to a man, Warren Tredrea, who was playing in his 228th. Hurley was magnificent, throwing himself into the fray with no regard for his own safety while maintaining a composure and calmness that bellied his years.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnew...1251570710113.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Lyon basically jizzes in his pants and suggests that had Hurley 1-2 more games, he probably would have won the Rising Star.

Also makes the point that that mark against Riewoldt was, in his eyes, worth 20 uncontested possessions, and that his half against Hawthorn was worth more than 20 contested possessions.

And another one here by Leigh Matthews, certainly very high praise off somebody who knows what they are talking about -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84005/default.aspx

At pick No.5, Hurley was 193cm but already a strong 91kg. Not fully mature but much more than a skinny kid.During the last few of the nine games he has played to this point, Hurley has done a few things that proven champs such as Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes or Matthew Scarlett would be proud of...

Cannot believe how good this guy is. Can play Back or Forward very very well.

Well done nice pick up, anyone that can go with Riewolt all day deserves the utmost respect from all footy supporters, but to then play forward so effectively a week or two later... GUN

And another one here by Leigh Matthews, certainly very high praise off somebody who knows what they are talking about -

good get. Love the visual:

lthfnlswk1246a.jpg

Hurley Will be the next Jesus!

And I intend to make it my lifes work, sculpting a giant image of my new deity. Using only the finest marble imported from Italy, I will create a Hurley Mecca, for which his followers will pilgrimage to pray at his feet.
We will present virgins to him, and bring him offerings of the finest fruits and wines.

ALL HAIL HURLEY!
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY ONE!

AGREE 100% :thumbsu:

He is the next Jesus

Hurley Will take us to the promised premiership land.

He didn't seem slow to me at all on Saturday. Maybe he just plays fast, but I have no concerns over this (alleged) issue in the future.

On 2-3 occasions this season i have heard commentators comment that he has good pace for a big fella. I don't understand it. His pace looks fine to me, certainly not as slow as so many people were making out.

As a mad blues supporter it kills me to say this, but in 3 years he will be the most important player in the comp. I first heard about him 3 years ago and had hoped he might find his way to the blues. Melbourne and the other 3 clubs above you will regret not picking him. He is easily the best player from last years draft. The fact we chose Yarran over Rich hurts, but missing out on Hurley by 1 pick hurts even more. My only comfort is that GC17 might offer him 2 mill a year and he leaves the blues arch enemy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back