Unofficial Preview Hurtin for Curtin vs Lurcher for McKercher vs Heard Ya! It’s Duursma!

1st Pick

• Curtin

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • McKercher

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Duursma

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 23 21.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that we are set to get pick 2 or 3 (depending on McKay compo) there are a few permutations here. Who are we hoping for our first pick?

The assumption is we would take Curtin, but that’s no guarantee and he may not be available if North take him.

comedy central booze GIF by Drunk History

I think we can all see it, unfortunately. Big send off for the old fogies, crows nothing to play for. We win and then draft a KP player when our biggest need is more mids, as it has been since the mid 2000s. What would be worse, is losing, and then trading pick 1, and still drafting the player we don’t need…….

I think we can all see it, unfortunately. Big send off for the old fogies, crows nothing to play for. We win and then draft a KP player when our biggest need is more mids, as it has been since the mid 2000s. What would be worse, is losing, and then trading pick 1, and still drafting the player we don’t need…….

Please in what universe do we look like we will beat anyone mildly competent and upright and breathing in the past two years,?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The club is 4-43 since July 2021.

It's more likely everyone has a piss-up midweek for those being sent off and we're down by 12 goals to the Crows at quarter time.

The cleanout is coming. With so many pieces changing the club will likely be very risk-adverse in trades and drafting.

That means we'll take pick 1 to the draft and select Harley Reid.

/Close thread.

If Reid isn’t available and there’s no clear standout I reckon we are best going tall at this stage of the rebuild.
In terms of good young talls we are very light on for both KPD and KPF, and they can take 5 years to develop.

We have two legitimately good prospects from last year in ginbey and hewett.

Draft tall now, knowing we will still get access to elite mids the next couple years with top 5 picks. If Curtin is viewed as elite enough for talent we should take him. Local is always handy at the start of a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting Curtin to be off the table.

Duursma clearly has the biggest point of difference with his goal sense and aerial ability.

McKercher is the most plug and play midfield option.

Duursma could end up the better player, with a higher ceiling, but has some question marks on midfield craft, it’s not a certainty he develops to become a midfielder at the next level.

The club would be aware of the pull to be an inaugural member of your states AFL team and that works against McKercher.

Duursma for me.

Norf to rest half their team on Saturday afternoon in a blantant tank. We go on to beat the Crows by 10 goals to send off our champions on Saturday evening.
Monday morning, Gil announces Norf are stripped of their first and second round draft picks for the next 2 years and we pick up the number 1 pick and grab Reid plus 19 2023 pick, the number 1 and 19 pick in 2024 whilst Norf collect their 4th straight flag spoon.

Close thread/

Last edited:
Just on the McKercher (my preference at 2) to Tassie thing, he will be what? 23 or 24 when the new Tassie team comes into the comp?
Even throwing a heap of coin at him to come home and aside form the obvious benefits of lovely weather and PErth beach bunnies over the antarctic Hobart. From a footy perspective he will really have to consider if he is content to spend the rest of his footy career in a new team with a very low prospect of playing finals for a few years and realistically not getting a look at a flag (based on the most recent expansion teams) or stay with West Coast who by then would be looking at the start of a flag window which history shows we will usually grab one.
Life style and career success/satisfaction will trump money for most people. I'd back us in to retain him.

Just on the McKercher (my preference at 2) to Tassie thing, he will be what? 23 or 24 when the new Tassie team comes into the comp?
Even throwing a heap of coin at him to come home and aside form the obvious benefits of lovely weather and PErth beach bunnies over the antarctic Hobart. From a footy perspective he will really have to consider if he is content to spend the rest of his footy career in a new team with a very low prospect of playing finals for a few years and realistically not getting a look at a flag (based on the most recent expansion teams) or stay with West Coast who by then would be looking at the start of a flag window which history shows we will usually grab one.
Life style and career success/satisfaction will trump money for most people. I'd back us in to retain him.

The AFL have already started looking into the Tassie list build, what mechanisms will be in place.

The goal is to have a team that is immediately competitive and wins a flag within 5 years.

In that way it is very different from GWS/GCS expansion.

That plus the fact that Tassie is a footy state, which will have a parochial supporter base, we should think of Tassie being more similar to West Coast/Adelaide joining the competition, and less like the northern states.

Last edited:
The AFL have already started looking into the Tassie list build, what mechanisms will be in place.

The goal is to have a team that is immediately competitive and wins a flat within 5 years.

In that way it is very different from GWS/GCS expansion.

That plus the fact that Tassie is a footy state we should think of Tassie being more similar to West Coast/Adelaide joining the competition, and less like the northern states.
It has that potential for sure, but it will still be a gamble. WC were the quickest with a flag in its 6th season, Crows in their 8th. Dockers in their... wait.. never mind.
So even in a best case scenario, he is more than likely looking at a possible tilt around the age of 30. That doesn't leave a lot of room for error. He'd be better off signing an extra 3 or 4 years with WC to take him to about 26-27 and see how the Devils are travelling at the end of that contract and reassessing.

It has that potential for sure, but it will still be a gamble. WC were the quickest with a flag in its 6th season, Crows in their 8th. Dockers in their... wait.. never mind.
So even in a best case scenario, he is more than likely looking at a possible tilt around the age of 30. That doesn't leave a lot of room for error. He'd be better off signing an extra 3 or 4 years with WC to take him to about 26-27 and see how the Devils are travelling at the end of that contract and reassessing.

Fair shout.

I’d be happy with either Duursma or McKwrcher

Duursma has the potential to develop into a mid who you can throw forward to win you the game with a big contested grab or front a centre crumb leading to a goal.

McKercher is no slouch running inside 50 either. He’s a powerful mover who would complement Ginbey and Hewett from the minute he arrives.

Can’t lose really.

Port was pretty quick too. I think they started in 2007 and were winning minor premierships by 2002, flag by 2004.

Norf to rest half their team on Saturday afternoon in a blantant tank. We go on to beat the Crows by 10 goals to send off our champions on Saturday evening.
Monday morning, Gil announces Norf are stripped of their first and second round draft picks for the next 2 years and we pick up the number 1 pick and grab Reid plus 19 2023 pick, the number 1 and 19 pick in 2024 whilst Norf collect their 4th straight flag.

Close thread/
I'm intrigued how North manages to win a flag next year and get the 2021-2023 flags awarded to them as well. I suspect it's an epic doping scandal the engulfs all clubs but theirs.

I'm intrigued how North manages to win a flag next year and get the 2021-2023 flags awarded to them as well. I suspect it's an epic doping scandal the engulfs all clubs but theirs.
Port was pretty quick too. I think they started in 2007 and were winning minor premierships by 2002, flag by 2004.
Equally as intriguing is how Port secured a minor premiership 5 years prior and a flag 3 years prior to entering the comp. :)

If McKercher would prefer to play in a team that has finals and premierships in it's DNA over being part of the inaugural squad of his home state then he is a given.
To be honest he could be as good as Reid in his own way. Seems more a hard working accumulator rather than the team lifting gun that Reid is but both are still pretty much kids so who knows what the next 10-15 years will bring for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back