Strategy Hypothetical Pick Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For discussion around possible Pick swaps heading into, or during, the draft

What is/ isn't fair, which picks are going to be the hottest property, the players that'll be in every clubs sights on night 2, etc.!

Given we just traded out around 1300 draft points tonight I am concerned our recruiting staff maybe trading out our f1 for some Magic beans…
I can see us trading out our remaining F2nd. MM mentioned we might take 3 picks tonight so he must have something potentially lined up.

I can see us trading out our remaining F2nd. MM mentioned we might take 3 picks tonight so he must have something potentially lined up.
Probably hoping that Davey gets bid on before our pick now.

I thought most wanted to get up the draft order to grab Humphrey?
That never added up to me. If it was Humphrey, then why didn't clubs ask Gold Coast for their pick? Gold Coast are known pushovers, yet clubs didn't even try.
Also Tsatas outside run would have complimented Oliver and Petracca more than Humphrey.

That never added up to me. If it was Humphrey, then why didn't clubs ask Gold Coast for their pick? Gold Coast are known pushovers, yet clubs didn't even try.
Also Tsatas outside run would have complimented Oliver and Petracca more than Humphrey.

Because Gold Coast were set on Humphrey and they were always only taking one draft pick which is why they were happy to give away pick 7 for nothing and have a stack of academy players next year so don't need future first high picks.

Because Gold Coast were set on Humphrey and they were always only taking one draft pick which is why they were happy to give away pick 7 for nothing and have a stack of academy players next year so don't need future first high picks.
It doesn't explain why clubs didn't even try.
It makes more sense Melbourne were after Tsatas.

It doesn't explain why clubs didn't even try.
It makes more sense Melbourne were after Tsatas.

There were reports of Gold Coast doing a trade with us for a future second to jump one spot to prevent it occurring. The other clubs might have got a definitive answer from Gold Coast and dropped it and we were more open to the idea of trading, so speculation can bubble out to journalists. The other part is there is little point doing a trade with Gold Coast if the other team comes along and pips them at our pick.

They did but gc wouldnt trade it because they knew hawthorn would take humphrey and gc wanted him.

Melbourne wanting Humphrey over Tsatas makes zero logic. It's more likely Tsatas is who they wanted.

Fair but i wasnt commenting on that i was commenting on the fact that gc were not trading that pick (not to anyone not just melb). Melb would have had to trade up with you guys.

Fair but i wasnt commenting on that i was commenting on the fact that gc were not trading that pick (not to anyone not just melb). Melb would have had to trade up with you guys.
Excuse my possible ignorance, but I never heard Gold Coast were even offered that deal from Melbourne.. Only Essendon were from my understanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs were trying to get ahead of GCS, because they knew Gold Coast were taking Humphrey. So, if they wanted him, they needed Easendon's pick.

I don't think anyone was trying to get there to take Tsatas or Phillipou.
That's what everyone keeps assuming. But it's more likely Melbourne wanted Tsatas given they already have Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes. They need outside run. They lost Jayden Hunt too.

Where does it say Gold Coast wouldn't trade their pick? And where does it say they were even asked by Melbourne?
I don't think Melbourne asked Gold Coast because they wanted Tsatas. And he was likely not going to be there at 5.

The only established fact (from my understanding) is Melbourne wanted pick 4, they needed outside run, and that's where Tsatas was going to be.

Last edited:
That's what everyone keeps assuming. But it's more likely Melbourne wanted Tsatas given they already have Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes. They need outside run. They lost Jayden Hunt too.

Where does it say Gold Coast wouldn't trade their pick? And where does it say they were even asked by Melbourne?
I don't think Melbourne asked Gold Coast because they wanted Tsatas. And he was likely not going to be there at 5.

The only established fact (from my understanding) is Melbourne wanted pick 4, they needed outside run, and that's where Tsatas was going to be.

More than anything Melbourne need ready to go forwards. Losing McDonald was the root of their failure last year as Brown isn't enough on his own. I don't think they really value outside run that much. Especially if it's not defensively geared. They won a flag with one runner in Langdon, and a combination of Sparrow, Brayshaw, Harmes, ANB, Jordan on the other wing. They've also just added Hunter who will suit their kick mark ball use.

What they've shown a trend in doing with high draft picks is players with one on one competitive edges. That's Pickett, Jackson, Oliver, Petracca. That is Humphrey.

I think what they really want is to release Pickett up to high half forward for counters but not lose the danger factor deep while they do so.

Lucky for them they did not get up the board then.

Bumping this thread as the Pick 1 thread is being clutterred with trades for GC pick

Suns will have many suitors for their pick, here is trade where they upgrade their future pick and also don't lose on points for trading their top pick.
Hawthorn in: Gold Coast 1st(9),45, 63
Hawthorn out: Hawthorn future 1st, 32

Gold Coast in: Hawthorn future 1st, Sydney picks 25, 32, 41,44
Gold Coast out: Gold Coast 1st(9), 45, 63, 68, 70,

Sydney in: Gold Coast future 1st, 68, 70
Sydney out: Sydney picks 25, 41, 44

Pick 9,63,68,70 = 1600+ pts while 25, 32, 41 = 1700+ and GC feel like they have improved next yr's 1st round pick

Sydney give 3 later picks whose points match pick 9 and have GC F1 + 6, 22, 68,70. When GC's bids get matched and they lose their picks, the later picks move up and gain 100+ points to be used on our FS pick McCabe.

Also going into deficit is not a big deal if you hold Top picks, you move down only few spots if deficit was incurred in 1st round and that to only if deficit is big. Not really needed to trade F2/F3 to offset them.

If you hold Pick 1(3000 pts) and have a 450 point deficit, you will still hold pick 1 as pick 2 is 2517

Every club needs to have a motivation and option to improve the hand. We are the ones taking the biggest risk as we could easily be Bottom 4 again next yr.

Suns improve their 1st pick for next yr by upgrading their F1 to Hawks F1. Their 1st pick this yr will get eaten up anyway and they exchange it for extra points and that is the cost of upgrading their F1.

Sydney does the deal to gain a F1 for later picks, again an upgrade.

We do the deal to gain Pick 9 and hope our next yr pick to be similar.

Sydney can also directly do deal with Suns & likely just swap 25,41,44 for GC's Pick 9+68. Gives them 6,9,22,68.

Suns hold pick 26 and I bet teams like Eagles will swap their 38,55,57 for it. Other teams will also bundle their later picks for Pick 26, so GC will be able to gain points from diff angles.

Last edited:
I've been figuring the Suns will drop down the ladder and end up with something like pick 7. If Ryley Sanders wasn't under Tassie threat, I'd be happy for the Dogs to trade 12+16 (or whatever it ends up) for 7 and take Sanders. He's just about the player we need, and Croft may end up wiping out one of those picks anyway.

I'd be happy to do this trade (GC maybe not)

Adelaide in (GC F2, Flanders & Hollands)
Adelaide out (2023 1st & 2023 North Melbourne 2nd) - assuming Adelaide finish between 10-6 on the ladder

Flanders no doubt gets a run in our midfield and Hollands might need a change of scene to get the best out of himself as he look sot be stagnating.

GC free up a couple of list spots but at the same time get big points for matching their 3 academy bids - they could look to split the Adelaide 1st into more points too..or maybe use it to try and bundle up to get in ahead of a bid for their players (if possible)

Adelaide out (2023 1st & 2023 North Melbourne 2nd) - assuming Adelaide finish between 10-6 on the ladder

Flanders no doubt gets a run in our midfield and Hollands might need a change of scene to get the best out of himself as he look sot be stagnating.

GC free up a couple of list spots but at the same time get big points for matching their 3 academy bids - they could look to split the Adelaide 1st into more points too..or maybe use it to try and bundle up to get in ahead of a bid for their players (if possible)

Reckon GC could get a late first for each of Flanders and Hollands.

Very unlikely GC give up on Hollands yet. Contracted for another year, too much talent there imo to let him go.

Flanders OOC much more likely to go.

GC have a lot of VFL type players OOC, plus Sharp leaving. List spots won't be a problem.

Hollands will be kept for another 12 months unless we get an over the odds offer for him.

Flanders and Sharp are the 2 OOC that could be likely to move on. They free up list spots while giving us a little more currency for our academy players.

Moyle and Graham are others as well that are apparently driving interest as well so we should be able to accrue enough points I would have thought.

Hollands will be kept for another 12 months unless we get an over the odds offer for him.

Flanders and Sharp are the 2 OOC that could be likely to move on. They free up list spots while giving us a little more currency for our academy players.

Moyle and Graham are others as well that are apparently driving interest as well so we should be able to accrue enough points I would have thought.

Really not sure why graham ever got that 4 year contract tbh. Very surprising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back