Roast I’m a footballer so people shouldn’t criticise me

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m going to start moving posts to SRP threads, I know its a blurry line but this board in an AFL one so keep your posts (somehow) related to footy and players. Sorry if the threads get messed up a bit but it is what it is.

Cheers and thanks

Edit:
Ok I’ve done my best with one eye closed, please use the report button on anything that should be moved to SRP or crosses lines, it helps alot.
There ARE threads over there for Jordan Peterson, transgender, toxic masculinity…whatever your black heart desires.

Last edited:
Most people these days tell people what they want to hear just so they don't have to listen to them
You could have something:

But there is a tendency of people to think most people think the way they do. Protect yourself against this bias by looking at the numbers.

Ah yes...and I'm sure you have all the answers, right?

Won't waste my time on you because you're too far down the QANON hole to save.

Ignored.

Nope I don't have any answers, don't even know what questions need to be answered. I live my life and enjoy it and don't spend my life worrying about the world ending and being upset when someone doesn't agree with me. Life is to short for all of that.

Jordan Peterson chat to the SRP please, plenty of discussion over there for it.

May need to respectfully disagree. In a modern world, from my own personal experiences, both sexes display unappealing traits that can fundamentally be linked to a wide array of origins, from societal expectations to basic hormones.

You're absolutely correct that it's complex. Hence why labelling what I perceive to be common female character flaws as examples of MALE toxicity a hard one to rationalise.

You're missing the point though...femininity by definition is not toxic...which is why it has been ascribed to those deemed as the weaker sex. If femininity were toxic, then that would imply that they are the dominant ones within our society.

Until women run the majority of countries, earn more than men, commit more murders than men (90-10% on average as it stands), then they will still remain the less dominant and thus feminine sex.

Masculinity and femininity can be described most simply as dominant and recessive. If females take over the world and start becoming more dominant, then toxic could be ascribed to them and not males...as then men would be the 'lesser' - which is what a lot of 'masculine' men like Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson, are absolutely terrified of. However, given femininity would still be associated with being 'recessive' the females would still be considered toxicly masculine (unless society completely redefines its ideas of masculinity and femininity - which is even more unlikely, as etimology is way harder to change).

Male and female don't equal feminine and masculine. They've only been ascribed those traits because of their position within society for the past 5000+ years. Like I said, this stuff is at the basis of who we are and how we are reflected within society. Our own opinions aren't evidence of masculinity or femininity - society's actions are - and they've been formed over thousands of years. Women may do awful things, but those behaviours are still rooted in the very idea of what we conceive as masculinity.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it here because I'd need peer referenced material to go any further into it - and this is just a footy forum, lol.

Not really that invested beyond the occasional snippet here and there that appears , but as I said some of the topics I tend to agree with but a lot of his stuff I tend to dismiss but as I mentioned before I tend to think of life as not binary where a difference in opnion deserves an outright blanket ban on all views ( unless you’re a tiger troll that can’t discuss things rationally).

Nah you don't want to blanket ban anyone, but I also think you want to have all the info before you form an assessment. Joe Rogan is a perfext example of this, and someone who is chronically mischaracterized and has a lot to offer on both sides of the political fence. Peterson is far more simple.

Each to their own though. I do draw the line in discussions like these though, when people are discussing things to do with my field and providing opinions that aren't backed by any peer referenced material. Not to mention the man in question wanting to abolish my field, which is part of why I'm so strong on both my disdain towards him, and my critique of others who think he's just this 'misunderstood guy' like ROB has painted him as.

And with that, I'd say this thread has come full circle, haha.

That'll do me in this thread. See ya on the Geelong board mate :)

Name the people who have lost their jobs for an instance of misgendering.

Took me 15 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Took me 15 seconds

Another conversation that belongs in SRP

I'd like to hear from Gary Ablett Jr and Israel Folau on this

CKXD38PWwAA-c2X.jpg

No it’s in section 2 of the article you just posted. The problem is what people perceive hate propaganda is. Everybody is offended these days, people then get their pitchforks out and destroy people lives because they think they are propagating ‘hate speech’.

Make no mistake if you don’t use the correct pronouns to a trans person and they go to the media you are completely f’ed. You might as well become homeless cause everything you have will be trashed especially your reputation. That’s what he’s advocating against essentially but he goes on a deeper level than just that.

Huffing and puffing on Twitter is “destroying people’s lives”?

Huffing and puffing on Twitter is “Trashing everything people have including their reputation”?

One of the problems I think mainstream modern society has, is that they are very quick to focus on aspects of someone or something that they disagree with, and THAT becomes how the define the person or thing they focus on.

For example I’m a Christian. A pretty poorly behaved one and there are lots of things I battle with but fundamentally I am one.

Ricky Gervais hates Christianity - and most organised religion for that matter. So I ‘clash’ with him on that score. Equally I love his taste in music. I love his opinions on humour. I love how he writes his TV shows and as far as I’m concerned no serialised entertainment has ever been as brilliant as The Office.

So overall, I like Ricky Gervais and if I had my photo taken with him, I wouldn’t expect my Christian friends to go ‘oh you’re a dickhead because he hates Christianity.’ I’d like them to say ‘wow he’s a comedy and entertainment legend how lucky are you.’

I disagree with anyone that gets upset about a Welcome to Country. I think it’s a fantastic way of trying to mend bridges that have been broken for decades. Equally I don’t love political correctness for the sake of political correctness.

So really I have no problem with him having his photo taken with someone because it isn’t an endorsement of everything the guy says.

Dude just google more it’s easy. Do you think this is the only case in the whole world? Lol

OK, a quick check suggests to me that there is a vast difference between people being criticised on social media, and people having their entire lives destroyed.

I think it’s important to establish very clearly what exactly we’re talking about.

I’ve noticed more than a few free speech warriors seem a little prone to catastrophisation when they’re on the receiving end of some actual free speech, ie criticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with him having his photo taken with someone because it isn’t an endorsement of everything the guy says.
It is an endorsement of some of what the guy says though. And the vast majority of what he says these days is a bunch of hateful s**t.

Jordan Peterson chat to the SRP please, plenty of discussion over there for it.
Thank you,

I've asked the op for evidence of ROB stating the thread title and got a concession it was speculative,

Me thinks from the outset that was the intent, pile on

That's great, couldn't care less, but hey the title is misleading.

What's amusing (and sad) is that folks like Peterson who have no issue victimizing others and propping up social systems of historical victimization cry the loudest when they feel anything at all coming back their way. This is a classical conservative tactic - legislate to maintain the status quo, proceed to go apeshit over any form of equalization, then play the victim card.

A lot of this discussion isn't specifically directed at Peterson however, but those who consider themselves fans of his (buying his books, attending tours etc).

Part of what agitates in these discussions on forums like this one is the generalisation. Would you say that anybody who supports Peterson is guilty of being painted with that identical conservative brush?

The thing that kicked this off was Riley O'Brien hoping it was acceptable for a footballer to hold an opinion that differed from what is perceived to be the mainstream narrative. Also going out of his way (like others in here) to mention that he doesn't agree with Peterson on everything, but just enough to have his own life affected positively by him.

A lot of this discussion isn't specifically directed at Peterson however, but those who consider themselves fans of his (buying his books, attending tours etc).

Part of what agitates in these discussions on forums like this one is the generalisation. Would you say that anybody who supports Peterson is guilty of being painted with that identical conservative brush?

The thing that kicked this off was Riley O'Brien hoping it was acceptable for a footballer to hold an opinion that differed from what is perceived to be the mainstream narrative. Also going out of his way (like others in here) to mention that he doesn't agree with Peterson on everything, but just enough to have his own life affected positively by him.
It's ok to agree with some of what someone says but not other stuff, as long as you explicitly state that. For the generalization comment, again it depends on what they're agreeing with/supporting. The issue is that when ROB says that JP's book or whatever helped him with mental health, there's an assumption that he's also listening to and agreeing with JP on other far more controversial points. Plus ROB (or his teammates, not sure), calling him a legend or whatever is a generalization in itself, and can only be construed that they think JP as a person is a legend.

I take exception to your last comment when you say what is 'perceived'. The cultural norm in enlightened parts of the world is that gender equality is a good thing and that empowering women/feminism is essential to breaking down a historically patriarchal society. Conservatives disagree and are hell bent on limiting access to things that might achieve that (eg. criminalizing abortion, cutting education funding, cutting healthcare, cutting family leave, workers rights...). All these things result in women staying in more 'traditional' roles and maintain the aforementioned society.

Everyone is free to hold an opinion, but if you voice it, you're not free from the consequences of said voicing.

I’m going to start moving posts to SRP threads, I know its a blurry line but this board in an AFL one so keep your posts (somehow) related to footy and players. Sorry if the threads get messed up a bit but it is what it is.

Cheers and thanks

Edit:
Ok I’ve done my best with one eye closed, please use the report button on anything that should be moved to SRP or crosses lines, it helps alot.
There ARE threads over there for Jordan Peterson, transgender, toxic masculinity…whatever your black heart desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the problems I think mainstream modern society has, is that they are very quick to focus on aspects of someone or something that they disagree with, and THAT becomes how the define the person or thing they focus on.

For example I’m a Christian. A pretty poorly behaved one and there are lots of things I battle with but fundamentally I am one.

Ricky Gervais hates Christianity - and most organised religion for that matter. So I ‘clash’ with him on that score. Equally I love his taste in music. I love his opinions on humour. I love how he writes his TV shows and as far as I’m concerned no serialised entertainment has ever been as brilliant as The Office.

So overall, I like Ricky Gervais and if I had my photo taken with him, I wouldn’t expect my Christian friends to go ‘oh you’re a dickhead because he hates Christianity.’ I’d like them to say ‘wow he’s a comedy and entertainment legend how lucky are you.’

I disagree with anyone that gets upset about a Welcome to Country. I think it’s a fantastic way of trying to mend bridges that have been broken for decades. Equally I don’t love political correctness for the sake of political correctness.

So really I have no problem with him having his photo taken with someone because it isn’t an endorsement of everything the guy says.
On BF there is no greater crime!

Great post btw.

If you are an active user of social media especially YouTube, Instagram and TikTok, it is almost impossible to avoid these right wing grifters.
I almost never see schitte like this on YouTube.
Got a new laptop, never used YouTube on it before. First thing I looked up was some Star Wars Rise of Skywalker videos because I'd just watched Andor and wanted to laugh about what a cluster* of a trilogy it was, and literally all my next recommendations were anti-feminist, even anti-trans right wing trash. I suppose it's because there's a tonne of videos on how "woke" ruined Star Wars but I wasn't even watching thigns like that, I was just watching Star Wars fans melt their arses off.

Got a new laptop, never used YouTube on it before. First thing I looked up was some Star Wars Rise of Skywalker videos because I'd just watched Andor and wanted to laugh about what a cluster* of a trilogy it was, and literally all my next recommendations were anti-feminist, even anti-trans right wing trash. I suppose it's because there's a tonne of videos on how "woke" ruined Star Wars but I wasn't even watching thigns like that, I was just watching Star Wars fans melt their arses off.
They are somehow all over my social media despite blocking a lot of fan accounts. So weird how fans of conservative think tanks will say for others to "think for themselves" but not take a look in the mirror.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back