Coach IF (unlikely) we are appointing a new coach, what are realistic options

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for co coaches now. Think one on the bench one in the box on game day is the way to go.

Are there examples of this working though? Even in other sports?
You'd want to either be very in tune with each other, or have clearly defined roles. It's not like a Roos/Goodwin handover scenario, far more intertwined I'd think?

He's pretty highly rated in the industry.
He's actually pretty quiet and reserved IRL so my concern is the 'inspire' part of the equation.
I feel like our players have been stuffed sick with “inspire”. They might value a coach who focusses on developing skills and works on a modern gameplan.

You'd want to either be very in tune with each other, or have clearly defined roles. It's not like a Roos/Goodwin handover scenario, far more intertwined I'd think?
None that I can think of but it's the way I think things should be handled for a game with so many moving parts.
As you say the coaches would need to be cohesive and not ego maniacs which is tough in sport. Don't think bevo would be the type for it. We seen how poorly egos can handle handovers aswell with Mitchell/Clarkson.
I'd have it split offensive/defensive during the week and on game day have the coach in the box focusing on structures and the one at ground level on player management.

Edit to add. Another massive benefit to this structure would be that one senior coach doesn't have dictator like control over structure and game style.
Instead it'd be split 3 ways between football manager and co-coaches.

I think the reality is that any new coach is going to be someone virtually none of us know. The trend is to promote the next assistant coach from the league ranks as recycled coaches prove to virtually never work out - See Malthouse as the the only example in the last 25 years to win a flag at 2 different clubs and even he was spectacularly unsuccessful in his last job at Carlton.
Dimma and Clarkson both drove their respective lists into the ground after a lot of success with a single list - they never proved themselves in being able to rebuild after their stars retired.
What I’m getting at is that our next coach is likely to be someone that we don’t know well as a coach, just like Bevo was.

Let’s bring back some old campaigner like Ron Barassi as the face and arm him with a team of young assistants.

Imagine a coach now giving regular sprays in flared pants? How could that not work?

I think the reality is that any new coach is going to be someone virtually none of us know. The trend is to promote the next assistant coach from the league ranks as recycled coaches prove to virtually never work out - See Malthouse as the the only example in the last 25 years to win a flag at 2 different clubs and even he was spectacularly unsuccessful in his last job at Carlton.
Dimma and Clarkson both drove their respective lists into the ground after a lot of success with a single list - they never proved themselves in being able to rebuild after their stars retired.
What I’m getting at is that our next coach is likely to be someone that we don’t know well as a coach, just like Bevo was.
Yep likely an Yze, Caracella, Carr type.

Steven King ? Has he already turned the Suns around? Could be a horror show though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Co coaches in AFL? Very in tune with each other? I don't think it would work. On a cold day who in the hell wants to sit on the sideline. Give me the box any day of the week. Maybe if you were brothers preferably twins it may work :think:. Any twins who coach in the AFL? :rolleyes:. Nah bad idea.

Phillip Lowe will be available

Stewy’s brother 👍
As Co coaches this may actually work. Phillip can be the big cuddly bear that sits on the sideline. No one really likes him. If we get too much of a run on he will take the offending players off. Give them a hug and say it's for your own good and the teams future well being. While Stewie can be the bull sitting in the box singing out kick it to marra, kick it to naughty goals, goals goals, more, more, more. While anticipating the rise in our 2 prime assets breaking all records as we move to the top of the ladder. Ying and yang in harmony and a model for economic equilibrium.

It’s hard to say if Yze would be any good at the top level. He’s been turned down a few times most recently by Essendon.

Then again Essendon have kept the same fraud as head of list management for like a decade so they’re not really the best at picking the right people.

Surely Gia no? I know a lot of us are probably of the opinion no more bulldog people but to be honest with you he seems exactly the type we need

It is time for Co- Coaches? Bob/Boyd combo bring in dale as assistant. Think they compliment each other well with Bob being more day to day personable and boyd being more hard line footy.

This is half a joke but also could be fun
Real big NO for Murphy, leave him with Freo, if people think some of the things Bevo does is strange Murphy would have the players hugging trees on a daily basis as well as meditating and all holding hands while running out onto the ground. Being nice to the planet would be priority above football

From the outside looking in I believe that it's the tier above Bevo who needs to go. If Bevo has too much power, or isn't working in unison with the list management team, than that is on Chris Grant.

He would also be the one signing off on decisions like Spangher as a coach (no judgement on his skills but didn't look great on the surface with no previous experience) and going with Gowers over whoever Dalrymple wanted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back