Roast If You Don't Stand For Something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha OP cracks it because people don't agree with his opinion !

Mate, this issue is really, really ******* important to me and a lot of people like me.

I didn't want to start this thread, I didn't even want this ******* plebiscite but that's for another discussion. I didn't want to start this thread, but I did because this issue is so important to me and I thought it was important to have this discussion.

For the first five pages of this thread, I tried to be civil, I tried to be as polite, as understanding, as respectful as I could.

In return, my very existence was called morally wrong on the same level as murder, I was told, actually you don't suffer any discrimination at all, everyone who's not like you actually has it worse. I kept trying to be civil.

But yeah, eventually I got to the point where I stopped being polite with the assholes who were either too stupid or too malicious to discuss this type of thing with. If that's what you think is funny, it says more about you than me.

Haha yeah.

Too funny. Some think they are more equal than others it seems

There are gay kids killing themselves and you're worried about the discrimination, white, straight people face.

You are either really stupid, or a huge arsehole. I hope you understand that.

They were voted in on a large number of policies, of which that was but one. Scraping back into office on a microscopic majority doesn't exactly give them a mandate to implement every scheme they ran on. In the same way they're apparently not bound by every promise they make.

And if you want me to answer that last question you're going to need to either add some words or remove some, because as it's written right now I can't understand it.

So people get angry at our politicians for breaking election promises.
The opposition normally goes to great lengths highlighting said policy promise breaking.

This government has a policy of a plebiscite, getsvoted in and the opposition denies it from being allowed to fulfill a policy pledge.

Strange days indeed.

There are gay kids killing themselves and you're worried about the discrimination, white, straight people face.

You are either really stupid, or a huge arsehole. I hope you understand that.

Mate you need to calm down. Nobody said homosexuals haven't faced any discrimination or abuse, murder or torture and I haven't belittled any of it.

I'm trying to highlight to you that your attitude towards others and they way you are talking to others in this thread whilst it may not be the same level of discrimination, it is in fact discrimination and bullying and abuse.

So people get angry at our politicians for breaking election promises.
The opposition normally goes to great lengths highlighting said policy promise breaking.

This government has a policy of a plebiscite, getsvoted in and the opposition denies it from being allowed to fulfill a policy pledge.

Strange days indeed.

So the opposition should just allow the government to pass whatever they said during the election? That's not how it works. Unless they get a majority in the Senate they have to convince enough other Senators it's a good idea. They weren't able to do that, even with the rag-tag crazy bunch of cross-benchers they got this time round.

Mate, this issue is really, really ******* important to me and a lot of people like me.

I didn't want to start this thread, I didn't even want this ******* plebiscite but that's for another discussion. I didn't want to start this thread, but I did because this issue is so important to me and I thought it was important to have this discussion.

For the first five pages of this thread, I tried to be civil, I tried to be as polite, as understanding, as respectful as I could.

In return, my very existence was called morally wrong on the same level as murder, I was told, actually you don't suffer any discrimination at all, everyone who's not like you actually has it worse. I kept trying to be civil.

But yeah, eventually I got to the point where I stopped being polite with the assholes who were either too stupid or too malicious to discuss this type of thing with. If that's what you think is funny, it says more about you than me.
You also said that other peoples beliefs were embarrassing .
It's their religious beliefs !
And you wonder why you got so vigorously opposed .
I voted yes to gay marriage but I belive others have the Right to their opinions and not be persecuted for it .

By your daft logic we should allow people to do anything they want in society (fill in the blank) and just simply support it. You just keep your nose out of other people's lives. You might support it but I don't. You might support it but the club doesn't so stop Imposing your ideals on others

Allowing people to do what makes them happy that in no way affects anyone else? Monstrous. Conforming to what society tells you to do is clearly the much more healthier approach ay.

So the opposition should just allow the government to pass whatever they said during the election? That's not how it works. Unless they get a majority in the Senate they have to convince enough other Senators it's a good idea. They weren't able to do that, even with the rag-tag crazy bunch of cross-benchers they got.

Fair enough but I think you get my point though.

I view this issue as a real important one for our nation both now and into the future.
I accept what the Australian people vote. I may not be happy with it but I accept it.
I wouldn't accept a bunch of grubby politicians who make decisions for our country based on votes and money for their agendas making this decision.

I have kids and I am concerned for their future and my future grandkids futures and believe this is wrong for our country.

If my view upsets anyone I'm sorry you are upset but it's my opinion and I'm not sorry it's my opinion. This is after all a democracy, not North Korea.

Going back to the op. It's my opinion the AFL is wrong.

No, what has happened throughout history is people who are non white and people who are LGBT have been murdered, tortured, kept as slaves, abused, treated as sub-human and discriminated against in all sorts of ******* horrendous ways, many of which continue throughout the world today.

This is true and is stain on history but to assume (if indeed you are) that it was only the white man doing these things throughout history is incorrect. Slavery and subjugation has existed for thousands of years and is not based on race. Blacks have enslaved blacks, blacks have enslaved white, whites have enslaved blacks and Asians have enslaved Asians etc. What is interesting however is that the Abolitionist movement originated in the west (Britain and the America) which eventually lead to slavery being outlawed. Slavery is still a thing around the world with India, China and Pakistan being the worst offenders. Also look up Arab Slave Trade, its pretty shocking.

We've gotten well off the topic of the thread which is the club's position on the issue, rather than the issue itself, and if I was still a mod I'd probably say that the actual issue itself is more suited to the SRP board and lock the thread at this point. But then I'd probably be accused of just stifling the ability of straight white people to have their say. Even though I'm a straight white person myself.

Anyway ... with respect to the OP I don't think it's incumbent on the club, or any club, to come out with a public position on the issue. I think they're entitled to decline to take a position. Good on the AFL and some of the other clubs for nailing their colours to the mast but I don't think every club needs to take that step.

We've gotten well off the topic of the thread which is the club's position on the issue, rather than the issue itself, and if I was still a mod I'd probably say that the actual issue itself is more suited to the SRP board and lock the thread at this point. But then I'd probably be accused of just stifling the ability of straight white people to have their say. Even though I'm a straight white person myself.

Anyway ... with respect to the OP I don't think it's incumbent on the club, or any club, to come out with a public position on the issue. I think they're entitled to decline to take a position. Good on the AFL and some of the other clubs for nailing their colours to the mast but I don't think every club needs to take that step.

Why do you still have a moderator title? I thought you were still a mod lol

I wouldn't accept a bunch of grubby politicians who make decisions for our country based on votes and money for their agendas making this decision.

But you're perfectly happy for them to make literally every other decision they make on a weekly basis? Such as signing up for a potential war with North Korea, allowing one rich billionaire to own as much of our media as he wants, increasing the Medicare levy on all taxpayers? All of those decisions will have far more wide-reaching effects than whether gay couples in committed relationships are able to have that legally recognised as a marriage.

Why do you still have a moderator title? I thought you were still a mod lol

I have to wait seven to ten business days for a technician to come round and remove it, and even then he'll give me an 8-hour window and I have to be at my computer the whole time just in case he arrives. It's a major hassle :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you're perfectly happy for them to make literally every other decision they make on a weekly basis? Such as signing up for a potential war with North Korea, allowing one rich billionaire to own as much of our media as he wants, increasing the Medicare levy on all taxpayers? All of those decisions will have far more wide-reaching effects than whether gay couples in committed relationships are able to have that legally recognised as a marriage.

No I am not happy about it at all.

Sadly there isn't much other option is there?

And I differ in opinion to you in the ramifications for our society.
But I'll leave it at that.

No I am not happy about it at all.

Sadly there isn't much other option is there?

Sure there is. We could have a giant survey on all those issues. In fact isn't that exactly what we should be doing? We can't trust those self-interested money-grubbing politicians to make laws for us on such important issues all on their own.

Sure there is. We could have a giant survey on all those issues. In fact isn't that exactly what we should be doing? We can't trust those self-interested money-grubbing politicians to make laws for us on such important issues all on their own.

You have to give up sarcasm now you aren't a mod :)

Actually I was looking forward to using more of it.

And since I do still have these mod buttons I think I'll use one of them at this point. Thanks everyone, if you want to continue the discussion head over to the SRP board.

As this is not football related I think it needs to be moved to the Nest. You can continue the discussion there.

swannies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back