- sizes of grounds in your comp
- playing minutes
- current fitness levels

A more detailed answer would depend on:
- the style of football at that level
- sizes of grounds in your comp
- playing minutes
- current fitness levels
Just club under 17s, mostly balanced footy, ground is 400 metres, not sure about playing mins and current fitness level is fairly low

Regardless who is starting threads, if you want to improve your body shape, diet, running for footy.

a) start one thread and ask multiple questions rather than specific topics.
b) read/search previous threads

my two cents, eating or training like Dustin Martin won't make you play like him. In a ball sport like football, diet is important but massively overrated. I remember years ago it came out Gary Ablett was eating paleo, nek minut 30% of the footy population wanted to do the same, Gaz could eat KFC twice a week and still rack up 35 and 3 each week.

By all means ask for advice, find a system, training, diet you like and stick with it. Worrying about the last 5% is not worth, if you are stressing over doing 6 x 20m sprints or 4 x 30m sprints at what speeds, rest time etc. that is far too specific for a local footballer. Just get out there and run, your body will adapt, just getting something done is what will benefit you the most.

I’m a full forward and forward pocket/ ruck and was just wondering what sort of running I should be doing
Hey mate, if you're rucking, your going to want to cover a lot of ground on gameday. Think Brodie Grundy style.
If you're not fit, build your tank first. 30-60 mins 3 times per week for the next few months. Throw in the occasional fartlek or interval session. Once you hit January 2021, switch the balance around. Less longer runs, more speed/interval stuff. Take an easy week every now and then for recovery. Keep a track of physical markers to know if you're overtraining.
For detailed training sessions, best bet is to look online for an 800/1500m runner's training program.

May need extra sprint work depending on your team's game style and time spent at full forward as well.

Hello everyone,
I'm improving my running and road cycling because of dad, My father got a car accident 2 months ago, and he was not able to run perfectly, after some treatment, doctor suggested for cycling and running, so I bought a new exercise bike through Bluefin Fitness free shipping codes, for him, and I do running with him daily, and now it's my habit also.

Ever tried cardio Crossfit style workouts?
i did,
24 air squats
24 push ups
24 walking lunges
400m run
for 6 rounds in just under 25 minutes on Friday. I’m 45 now and haven’t played footy since I was 19 as a rover. This type of training would of been good when I was young. Having said that, there was plenty of running to do at training and plenty during the game. You’ll soon get fit playing.

Ever tried cardio Crossfit style workouts?
i did,
24 air squats
24 push ups
24 walking lunges
400m run
for 6 rounds in just under 25 minutes on Friday. I’m 45 now and haven’t played footy since I was 19 as a rover. This type of training would of been good when I was young. Having said that, there was plenty of running to do at training and plenty during the game. You’ll soon get fit playing.

general cardio is ok if you can’t run.
but if the goal is running and you can run, then running should make up 99% of your cardio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd comment here rather than start a thread.

Hit a plateau at about 5 min per km over my usual 5km runs. I usually run three days per week.

I've decided to try and change one of those runs to a longer, slower one (7kms at a comfortable pace) and one of those runs to be 10 X 400m at a fair click.

Always been a strength athlete but wanting to get back into footy next year, is this the way people usually try to break plateaus, or are there other tactics I should be having a crack at?

Thought I'd comment here rather than start a thread.

Hit a plateau at about 5 min per km over my usual 5km runs. I usually run three days per week.

I've decided to try and change one of those runs to a longer, slower one (7kms at a comfortable pace) and one of those runs to be 10 X 400m at a fair click.

Always been a strength athlete but wanting to get back into footy next year, is this the way people usually try to break plateaus, or are there other tactics I should be having a crack at?
Do some longer runs at easier paces. You should aim to roll along at a 6:00 to 6:30 pace for 10k+ runs to build the tank. Then consider some Tempo runs or some intervals, but only 1 hard run a week until you get more comfortable . Your tempo pace would be about 5:20 and you should be able to hold that for quite a while once the tank improves. Get the aerobic base sorted first then your times will improve when you try to go harder .

Do some longer runs at easier paces. You should aim to roll along at a 6:00 to 6:30 pace for 10k+ runs to build the tank. Then consider some Tempo runs or some intervals, but only 1 hard run a week until you get more comfortable . Your tempo pace would be about 5:20 and you should be able to hold that for quite a while once the tank improves. Get the aerobic base sorted first then your times will improve when you try to go harder .

Thank you, much appreciated.

Thank you, much appreciated.

this is a good help for your training schedule with a few hints and examples. Most of us (me included) train too fast too often and it can flatten performance or lead to injury. Just plug in a recent “race” time, or go out and run a hard 5k, plug that time in and this will give you suggestions for training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back