Opinion In 4 years time which side will have the best 5 established mids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the last few drafts putting a lot of super young mids out most teams are gonna have great midfields. Who will have the best 5 in fours years (gives the young ones time to establish).
Gold Coasts without Ablett still looks amazing with Martin, Omera, Swallow, Prestia and Bennell.
Adelaide will have Dangerfield, Sloane, Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch and Douglas.
Melbourne has got some great mids upcoming in Viney, Tyson, Toumpas, Salem.
Bulldogs going through some greats coming to the end but have some super young guys moving up.

Even Brisbanes Aish, Redden, Rockliffe and Rich will be good.
Add in Hanley, Taylor, Zorko and Beams and it absolutely looks like a contender. Lots of strong midfields coming through.

Dangerfield, Sloane, Douglas are aged between 24-28 whereas those teams are aged between 19-23, you'd have to say Adelaide's mids are now in their prime and will be for the next 4 years wheras the others will only be coming into their prime by 2018

Dangerfield, Sloane, Douglas are aged between 24-28 whereas those teams are aged between 19-23, you'd have to say Adelaide's mids are now in their prime and will be for the next 4 years wheras the others will only be coming into their prime by 2018
Well yeah but the Crows midfield will still be at its peak in 4 years time with maybe Douglas replaced in the midfield by Brodie Smith (or Aish coming home ;) so i think its comparable. Point is most teams are gonna have strong midfields.

Last edited:
I guess its also interesting who might have the weakest midfield. Carlton and St Kilda come to mind. Alot of retirements and rebuilding needed by those two teams. Having GWS and GCS taking all the talent the last few years have hurt these teams.

Griffen, Hrovat, Bontapelli, Macrae, Liberatore, slight possibility Cooney could still be there but doubt it...
Cooney was our midfield coach in the VFL on the weekend; I think it may be over a bit quicker than a lot expected after his return to form last year. Almost no chance he's around in four unfortunately. Really hope he proves me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallis, Bontempelli, Macrae, Smith, Griffen, Liberatore, Hrovat, and Stevens isn't too shabby a midfield unit. Particularly with Dahlhaus, Hunter, Stringer and Honeychurch rotating through there.

There's quite a few midfield groups really starting to establish themselves. Early days but I'm rather impressed with Brisbane. Gold Coast's is just frightening.

GC would have to be the best one would assume.

1. Gold Coast - O'Meara, Martin, Swallow, Bennell and Prestia
2. Bulldogs - Griffen, Liberatore, Bontempelli, Macrae and Hrovrat
3. Brisbane - Rocky, Aish, Mayes, Redden and Rich (might even snag Petracca this year if they end up with pick #2).

Left Ablett out since he will be 34 and probably playing a more forward line role, not sure Griff will be in the midfield since he will be 31 but you can replace him with any of Stringer, Hunter, Dahl, Smith, Honeychurch or Wallis.

I think we would have one of the worst coming though. In four years without major list changes it will look like this:
Center: Gaff(26) Sheed(23) Masten (29)
Ruck/Ruck Rover: Nic Nat(28) Shuey(28) Selwood(28)

Throw in the names of Rosa, Bennell, Hurn, Darling and Lecca all running through and the hopeful recruitment of Waterman, it's still pretty bad. If it ain't winning games now it's not going to then.

Even Brisbanes Aish, Redden, Rockliffe and Rich will be good.

With Hanley, Lester, Zorko, Robertson, Taylor, Mayes, O'Brien and Beams rotating through. With Martin and Leuenberger the rucks.

That above midfield is going to be very good. But Gold Coast's will probably be on another level.

With Hanley, Lester, Zorko, Robertson, Taylor, Mayes, O'Brien and Beams rotating through. With Martin and Leuenberger the rucks.

That above midfield is going to be very good. But Gold Coast's will probably be on another level.
Yeah GC has the match winning type mids as well, while a lot of others just have good work like insiders.
With the level of midfield a lot of teams are going to have, I wonder if the teams that lack in this area are going to be able to compete well. Carlton is a team that with their retirements are going to be really light on in the midfield, and coming up against teams like GCs mids it's gonna be scary.
This isn't an attack on Carlton but they haven't got enough young mid talent from the recent drafts, and that not 100% their fault as the expansion teams raped the drafts.
The Hawks are another that are going through a generational change and what their midfield will look like in 5 years will be interesting. Been successful and the recent expansion teams taking the Talent may hurt them big time.

Dogs for mine - pick 5 from: Libba, Macrae, Bontempelli, Hrovat, Hunter, Wallis (tagger)
Yeah they have done well. They will be able to cover the retirements of Cooney and Griffin well I think. Also not finishing really high this year they should be able to add another gun or two at the draft. There's some exciting upside to look forward to for the doggies supporters.

Yeah they have done well. They will be able to cover the retirements of Cooney and Griffin well I think. Also not finishing really high this year they should be able to add another gun or two at the draft. There's some exciting upside to look forward to for the doggies supporters.
I'd expect they will take a tall (probably KPF) with their first pick this year which will really help them. They would be hoping Talia can step it up to his brothers level, and if higgins leaves, they would hope for some good compo in return (particularly after how long theyve persisted with his injuries).

The one thing im bullish about for them is that on top of a good core midfield, they seem to have a lot of flankers than can run through the middle. Having that versatility will hold them in good stead IMO.

Obviously depends on if we can hold onto them/future drafting/trades etc but as it stands for us it could be:

Cotchin, Martin, Ellis, Miles (and one of Vlastuin, Conca or Lennon most likely).

GC then GWS.

Treloar, Shiel, Whitfield, Coniglio and Ward. Plus Kelly, O'Rourke, Scully, Smith, Greene, etc. Giants could easily have more depth than the rest. Already strong for inside mids, they could get Brayshaw and possibly another mid with their first two picks in this draft. They could easily move on a KPP or two to get more picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back