Opinion Individual player expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

A good pump up on Muitmer on the WC website. Says he wants to be an inside mid but was told to stop pumping weights and get his tank up. Still looks massive so lets see if he got his endurance up and see what he can do in the middle and not the HHF.
If he performs and its possible. Give him a go in the guts. only way

A good pump up on Muitmer on the WC website. Says he wants to be an inside mid but was told to stop pumping weights and get his tank up. Still looks massive so lets see if he got his endurance up and see what he can do in the middle and not the HHF.

It's like I am the only one on here who can sponsor objectively and make reasoned assessments on what my player needs to do to go next level.

#validated
#stopthesponsorspam

I really like him, the games he played he ranked in top 5 players for pressure acts. Port game we won by 10 points he was the 2nd player on the field for PA's.

Not going to comment on every player but two players in particular I have thoughts on:
Jack Darling - copped a hard rap on here towards the end of last year but on reflection I don't think his year was too bad. There were many times when he played a very unselfish brand of football and he probably gave away about a dozen goals when he was in almost a gimme position to score them himself. Had he kicked them instead he would've been on 55 goals and his year would've probably looked a lot different.

Will Schofield - that St Kilda caused me to draw a line through Schofield. Never seen a player beaten so many times in a row. At 29 years of age I think his time is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suma Magic – like what you have written and agree with a lot. Adding a couple of thoughtsit

Ah Chee
I am expecting him to be in our best 22 however likely to start on the bench. Offers versatility spending time in midfield – both inside and wing and resting forward.

Ainsworth
Like Suma – he was not my favourite pick. He only managed reserves in 2017 so cementing a spot at EP seniors would be a step up. Looks tough and committed to the contest so would like to see him develop as inside mid going for first ball gets. Not the greatest kick so could well do on placing a high value on each kick.

Allen - Matt
He is starting to look like a strong and tough player and enhancing his chances in pre-season. Looking faster on the ground and he is looking particularly clean with hand and foot delivery.

Allen - Oscar
I admit to not liking this pick. With M Allen and Waterman, I did not see the attraction of getting another 3rd tall (especially since we took Brander) and to top it off, we and all clubs knew he was injured. So very low expectations for him in 2018 and all I can hope is that he proves me wrong next year.

Barrass
Needs to be our lock down FB and I would like to see him improve his decision making on when to go for the mark and when to spoil the contest. He and Gov should be our only 2 talls in defence.

Bayok
Too far off for me to comment.

Brander
A first year KPP should not normally be in consideration in his first year. That said, I expect he may just bubble up in the AFLX and may be a surprise packet to cover for JK if JK as I suspect is not ready for round 1. No pressure here – be patient and let him learn his trade and I would prefer for him to be trialled forward than back.

Brayshaw
Would not be surprised if he puts his hand up later in the year and be given games. A few things – he is a competitive and determined beast and will give it everything. My dream scenario is that he beats Andrew to a Rising Star Nomination.

Burrows
Not a lot to say on him – success would be making it at EP seniors. Only a handful of games and from some reports he has some great traits so who know!

Cole
I would like to see him on the wing at EP and if successful, give him a sustained run at AFL. I would like to see him become a permanent player by the second half of 2018, whether that be as a defender or mid.

Cripps
Pressure will be on. He falls short too often taking a lazy shot from 45m and needs to start looking for his team mates running down giving options. Another year like 2017 and he is EP bound. Not covering for the lack of run and defensive pressure from Le Cras should make his load easier.

Darling
Another 40 goals in 2018 is what is likely. We need to stop hoping for an A grader – he is excellent value and a strong B grader but not likely to dominate many games.

Duggan
Agree with Suma that we keep him at HBF and let him flourish in the role. 10 games to get his confidence up and then midfield rotations make sense. Needs to improve at not getting caught with the ball as much. Perhaps the AFLX stint will teach him that.

England
The running man – needs at least 2 to 3 pre-seasons to get a body that can cope with AFL. Success would be making it to EP seniors by the end of year.

Gaff
I am wanting him to re-sign but who knows. A strong link player and excellent on the wing but will disappoint as an inside mid so why try it!

Hurn
Think big and use that frame of yours to open up the opposition please. Make others around you play bigger and stronger.

Hutchings
He is excellent depth. To make it – he will need to hit the contest at pace. Would like to see that but not likely. He will fill most holes we have in mids and is adequate but lacks something for me to really see a rosy future.

Jetta
More of what we saw at the back end of 2017 but with his calf strains, this may be his last year. Has he got the old man strains early?

Karpany
Not convinced with him so he must start to tear up WAFL games as a HFF otherwise it is his last year. I believe we have more options up front so he will be really limited in opportunities.

Kennedy
Injury may see him delay his start. May not be a bad thing as it will enable others to prove themselves early.

Le Cras
I hope he is made to earn his spot in the side and Simpson stops backing him in. Early good form from either or both of Ryan and Rioli may well be the end of the Frenchman. Given he is precariously placed, it will be interesting to see how hard Le Cras fights for his place.

Lycett
Many have forgotten how strong Scott can be in the ruck. I personally do not see NicNat being ready R1 and not likely to be playing each week. Therefore the No 1 ruckman role will be for Scott to lose. He has skills going forward so if JK is out, he and Vardy may be the two talls with Darling and one of the 3rd talls coming in.

Mackenzie
Will start late with his injury which means he will need to come back via EP and only get a chance if an injury occurs. I am seeing less clubs likely to play 3 talls up front so less opportunities. Showed in 2017 that he can still deliver and is well ahead of Schofield and fills the need well.

Masten
I was taught that if you cannot find something to say, then best say nothing.

McGovern
Another AA KPD for Gov and Simpson will keep him all year at CHB.

McInnes
WAFL each and every week.

Mutimer
Like Suma – I can't see him making it.

Naitanui
Remember eMac in 2016? Patience is required here. Will start late and expect him to be blended back into the top team come 2nd half of 2018. His real aim is to be roaring to go in 2019.

Nelson
He is a backman and any time in midfield should be as a tagging role. He was terrific until his broken hand last year so hopefully he gets back to that form.

Olango
Think of him like a Cat B player and keep expectations low until we see what he can do.

Partington
Agree he is more the rover and hopefully AFLX will allow him an opportunity to show it. I like the idea of Van Berlo and Mitchell as coaches working out how to match up our mids and how to develop the talent. Will do better with a faster midfield in 2018.

Petrucelle
Fast and furious – he has a fair amount of development to do and his time will be in the WAFL in 2018 – hopefully more in the seniors that Reserves.

Redden
Step up year. He knows he has underperformed and I sense he is pissed at himself so I expect him to be a starting mid all year and whilst not A grade, look at what he will do to bring others into the game such as Boots, Elliott and Jetts with the ability to release for the outside run.

Rioli
Agree with Suma that expectations and excitement about him are high and with reason. We will need to learn to use him off the marking packs so teaching the forwards to knock in his direction will be crucial.

Rotham
Pretty disappointing start to his AFL career so hope he does enough to justify his R2 pick. I would like to see him at EP on the wing using his height, pace and penetrating kicking.

Ryan
Just need to try him and keep patient. No prizes for getting Mark of the Year – we need him to kick goals. Could be anything in 2018.

Schofield
Behind eMac in depth so hope he likes Leederville Oval.

Sheed
Needs to take the step and be our centreman. I hope he has worked hard on his endurance because he let the side down late in games and late in quarters in 2017.

Sheppard
I want him to take the 3rd tall forward and play more the rebounding HBF. We want the 2015 version please.

Shuey
Will win our B&F and be named AA.

Vardy
With questions over NicNat – he and Lycett will probably play more together with Vardy spending 30% in the ruck. Looks fitter and faster and with confidence in his body given the great run of games in 2017, I have high expectations.

Venables
I want him as a HFF with class and poise. The odd run in the midfield is fine and expect him to pick up a Rising Star before the bye.

Waterman
Was looking really good at the end of 2017 and will be likely given a chance with JK being delayed. He will be our second Rising Star nomination in 2018.

Watson
Decision making is the key for him and would love him to be our zippy defender. I would love for him to be an automatic starter come season end named each week in the back pocket.

Yeo
AA HBF or possible midfield? Time to find out in 2018. I was vocal early saying he was too dumb to play midfield coming around to the idea of trying him an an more outside mid so maybe the wing as his outside explosive run would be a great differentiator. Question for Simpson is how best to use that explosive pace!

I've groups players into different 2018 expectation sub headings;

Much of the same please (players who need to hold the previous years standards, with minimal improvements):

McGovern - only thing he needs to do this year is sign a new contract!!!
Kennedy - another 60 plus goals pls and maybe some accurate kicking at the MCG.
Gaff - add a few more tackles to his game and he'll be complete mid.
Shuey - take the mantle as midfield leader.

What you've been doing is great, but please take the next step:
Yeo - might be harsh to have this guy in here but I reckon he can become top 10 player in the AFL. IMO reckon it's midfield time and use that speed, power, evasiveness and long kicking. I certainly wouldn't cry if he had another 2017, but reckon he's still got plenty of growth.
Darling - Time for a 50 goal season and dominate entire games rather than halves. Probably needs to get more physical with opponents than trying to out run them, the guy can kung fu flip off the ground, reckon he could bully a few defenders in one of one's.
Hurn - Kick ins are great, but would be good to see more disposal off half back to set up quick attacks especially with a new look fwd line. Probably needs to find a bit more footy too.
Vardy - With NN and Slyce back, he'll probably spend more time forward so just needs to impact down fwd a bit more.

Your time is now, take the mantle:
Sheed - reckon I saw enough in the back end of the season that this guy is ready. Looks like he's improved his disposal and starting to have an impact on ball. Needs to make a midfield spot his own this year, as will only ever be regarded as a bit time mid.
Redden - pretty much the same as Sheed, good back end of the season and if he doesn't make centre position his, he’s a huge risk of becoming a WAFL great.
Duggan - another that had a strong second half of the year, if he can become a gun defender off half back he can release Yeo into the midfield. Pretty excited about his 2018.
Sheppard - my preference is to only play two tall defenders, so I'd love Shep got back in time to 2015 and play the mid sized defender and become the 2nd up in marking contests and use his speed and ball use out of backline. Needs to recapture that old form.
Barrass - nothing against Ezy but reckon Barrass should be aiming to play 22 games and become Gov's permeant partner in crime.
Cripps - personally reckon he's lacked support in the forward line and has became a bit lost, also our slower ball transition didn't suit his game style. The addition of Rioli, Ryan, Murtimer, Karpany and Veneables should help create healthy competition to get the best out of him and also mean he's not the only dangerous sml fwd so should take pressure off him. Probably needs to establish himself as leader of the young small fwds, and create fwd pressure environment.

Am I just an average footy player?:
Hutchings - can't fault him as he always plays a role and does it pretty well. But never going to regularly get in the best each week, and not sure he's got another level.
Nelson - After round 4 last year, I was thinking wow this guy is going to be good defender for us but after he came back after injury later in the year he looked back to what he was. Hoping he can get back to form he had early last year, and can play 22 games and grow his self belief!!!
Ah chee - reckon he's ready to go and have a really good year, probably just been unlucky at port not to get more games.

Sick bay, anything they add this year is better than what we had last year:
Natanui - Oh man, please hope that he right to go and club isn't playing funny buggers. His centre clearance work is worth at least 4 goals, either by tap or 2nd and 3rd efforts. I'm not expecting his best, but a very good NN is better than most of the AFL's rucks.
Lycett - If NN misses heaps of footy, reckon Slyce will dominate as the number 1 ruck and will be well supported by Vardy and will go forward and kick a few. If he plays second fiddle to NN, he'll be good but probably fight more for 2nd ruck with Vardy. Hoping for a big year.

Last chance saloon, big year could get you another contract:
Le Cras - hope like Cripps the injection of more young fwds can help take the pressure off him and allow him to play his best footy. Love it if he pushed up the ground a bit and got around the contest and was kicking inside 50 more.
Ezy - Just hope he get injury free and create healthy competition for spots.
McInnes - win another WAFL B&F and if required because of injury play his role.
Schofield - loved his 2015, everything after I haven't loved. Hopefully can refind his form and put pressure on for spots.
Masten - hopefully has changed his game and is less worried about being the clubs best runner and focuses on tackling and contested footy. If he can do that, reckon he'll have a much better 2018. If not, he'll get the chop for sure.
Jetta - needs to find his self confidence and use his speed, we've seen his talent just not often. To be honest, I'm not expecting much.
Karpany - supposedly had a good pre season, hopefully got a taste for it last year and can establish himself in our best 22.

Young guns:
Partington: Hoping he can play most of the year and have a real impact, also have a run as an inside mid. I'm a fan, and want to see more of him.
Cole: If Nelson can't get that back 6 role, love to see Cole have a big year and reckon he's primed for it.
Veneables: stay injury free and play all 22 games, doesn't have to dominate but show us enough to get excited about the future.
Rioli: Love to also see him play 22 games and start some chemistry and fwd pressure in a new look fwd line. Hoping for a big year.
Ryan: Think he'll have brilliant games and less than brilliant games, but that's ok as it's his first year and still got 10-12 years of years to dominate.
Murtimer: I liked him when he played last year, hopefully he can play 10-15 games and keep developing. Might surprise a few. Has really high rankings for pressure acts when he played AFL last year, something clubs are starting to value over disposals.
Waterman: Looks like he's doing everything to get picked for round 1 and hoping he can and show us he's Kennedy's heir to the throne. Might have a draft steal here.
Rotham: Hope he can get a few games through solid WAFL form, but probably needs another year of development.
Watson: Exactly the same as Rotham, but hope he can stay injury free as reckon he can get a few senior games if so.
M. Allen: Can play the year at East Perth as a KPF and kick heaps.

Rookies:
Brayshaw: Hope he has a huge year for East Perth and can get a few games with the Eagles, if he does come up for games I don't think he'll ge to play inside mid like he would at EP, so might not get to see his best.
Brander: Love to see him play a game or two in Eagles colours this year, hoping he has a huge year and everyone wonders why didn't he go pick 1.
Ainsworth: Hoping he plays the year at East Perth as a mid and is knocking the door down for a game.
Petrucelle: Finds constincency at East Perth and keeps developing as a footballer. Love him to fulfil his talent.
O. Allen: Hope he's not another player we get that barely plays due to injuries, hopefully as a KPF and shut everyone up about playing midfield. He's got long arms!!!
Burrows: No real expectation of this guy as I don't really know enough about him, love for him to surprise me and be a potential diamond in the rough.
Bayok: Has to play all games at East Perth Seniors or most of them to stay on the list.
England: Probably needs to put on some bulk, and be able to compete at seniors at EP. I like him and reckon he'll be a good player, just a few years away.
Olango: Love to see him be R2 for EP, share rucking with McInness. Think he'll be a good ruckman in the future, needs a few years for development and strengthen the body.

Last edited:
Suma Magic – like what you have written and agree with a lot. Adding a couple of thoughtsit

Ah Chee
I am expecting him to be in our best 22 however likely to start on the bench. Offers versatility spending time in midfield – both inside and wing and resting forward.

Ainsworth
Like Suma – he was not my favourite pick. He only managed reserves in 2017 so cementing a spot at EP seniors would be a step up. Looks tough and committed to the contest so would like to see him develop as inside mid going for first ball gets. Not the greatest kick so could well do on placing a high value on each kick.

Allen - Matt
He is starting to look like a strong and tough player and enhancing his chances in pre-season. Looking faster on the ground and he is looking particularly clean with hand and foot delivery.

Allen - Oscar
I admit to not liking this pick. With M Allen and Waterman, I did not see the attraction of getting another 3rd tall (especially since we took Brander) and to top it off, we and all clubs knew he was injured. So very low expectations for him in 2018 and all I can hope is that he proves me wrong next year.

Barrass
Needs to be our lock down FB and I would like to see him improve his decision making on when to go for the mark and when to spoil the contest. He and Gov should be our only 2 talls in defence.

Bayok
Too far off for me to comment.

Brander
A first year KPP should not normally be in consideration in his first year. That said, I expect he may just bubble up in the AFLX and may be a surprise packet to cover for JK if JK as I suspect is not ready for round 1. No pressure here – be patient and let him learn his trade and I would prefer for him to be trialled forward than back.

Brayshaw
Would not be surprised if he puts his hand up later in the year and be given games. A few things – he is a competitive and determined beast and will give it everything. My dream scenario is that he beats Andrew to a Rising Star Nomination.

Burrows
Not a lot to say on him – success would be making it at EP seniors. Only a handful of games and from some reports he has some great traits so who know!

Cole
I would like to see him on the wing at EP and if successful, give him a sustained run at AFL. I would like to see him become a permanent player by the second half of 2018, whether that be as a defender or mid.

Cripps
Pressure will be on. He falls short too often taking a lazy shot from 45m and needs to start looking for his team mates running down giving options. Another year like 2017 and he is EP bound. Not covering for the lack of run and defensive pressure from Le Cras should make his load easier.

Darling
Another 40 goals in 2018 is what is likely. We need to stop hoping for an A grader – he is excellent value and a strong B grader but not likely to dominate many games.

Duggan
Agree with Suma that we keep him at HBF and let him flourish in the role. 10 games to get his confidence up and then midfield rotations make sense. Needs to improve at not getting caught with the ball as much. Perhaps the AFLX stint will teach him that.

England
The running man – needs at least 2 to 3 pre-seasons to get a body that can cope with AFL. Success would be making it to EP seniors by the end of year.

Gaff
I am wanting him to re-sign but who knows. A strong link player and excellent on the wing but will disappoint as an inside mid so why try it!

Hurn
Think big and use that frame of yours to open up the opposition please. Make others around you play bigger and stronger.

Hutchings
He is excellent depth. To make it – he will need to hit the contest at pace. Would like to see that but not likely. He will fill most holes we have in mids and is adequate but lacks something for me to really see a rosy future.

Jetta
More of what we saw at the back end of 2017 but with his calf strains, this may be his last year. Has he got the old man strains early?

Karpany
Not convinced with him so he must start to tear up WAFL games as a HFF otherwise it is his last year. I believe we have more options up front so he will be really limited in opportunities.

Kennedy
Injury may see him delay his start. May not be a bad thing as it will enable others to prove themselves early.

Le Cras
I hope he is made to earn his spot in the side and Simpson stops backing him in. Early good form from either or both of Ryan and Rioli may well be the end of the Frenchman. Given he is precariously placed, it will be interesting to see how hard Le Cras fights for his place.

Lycett
Many have forgotten how strong Scott can be in the ruck. I personally do not see NicNat being ready R1 and not likely to be playing each week. Therefore the No 1 ruckman role will be for Scott to lose. He has skills going forward so if JK is out, he and Vardy may be the two talls with Darling and one of the 3rd talls coming in.

Mackenzie
Will start late with his injury which means he will need to come back via EP and only get a chance if an injury occurs. I am seeing less clubs likely to play 3 talls up front so less opportunities. Showed in 2017 that he can still deliver and is well ahead of Schofield and fills the need well.

Masten
I was taught that if you cannot find something to say, then best say nothing.

McGovern
Another AA KPD for Gov and Simpson will keep him all year at CHB.

McInnes
WAFL each and every week.

Mutimer
Like Suma – I can't see him making it.

Naitanui
Remember eMac in 2016? Patience is required here. Will start late and expect him to be blended back into the top team come 2nd half of 2018. His real aim is to be roaring to go in 2019.

Nelson
He is a backman and any time in midfield should be as a tagging role. He was terrific until his broken hand last year so hopefully he gets back to that form.

Olango
Think of him like a Cat B player and keep expectations low until we see what he can do.

Partington
Agree he is more the rover and hopefully AFLX will allow him an opportunity to show it. I like the idea of Van Berlo and Mitchell as coaches working out how to match up our mids and how to develop the talent. Will do better with a faster midfield in 2018.

Petrucelle
Fast and furious – he has a fair amount of development to do and his time will be in the WAFL in 2018 – hopefully more in the seniors that Reserves.

Redden
Step up year. He knows he has underperformed and I sense he is pissed at himself so I expect him to be a starting mid all year and whilst not A grade, look at what he will do to bring others into the game such as Boots, Elliott and Jetts with the ability to release for the outside run.

Rioli
Agree with Suma that expectations and excitement about him are high and with reason. We will need to learn to use him off the marking packs so teaching the forwards to knock in his direction will be crucial.

Rotham
Pretty disappointing start to his AFL career so hope he does enough to justify his R2 pick. I would like to see him at EP on the wing using his height, pace and penetrating kicking.

Ryan
Just need to try him and keep patient. No prizes for getting Mark of the Year – we need him to kick goals. Could be anything in 2018.

Schofield
Behind eMac in depth so hope he likes Leederville Oval.

Sheed
Needs to take the step and be our centreman. I hope he has worked hard on his endurance because he let the side down late in games and late in quarters in 2017.

Sheppard
I want him to take the 3rd tall forward and play more the rebounding HBF. We want the 2015 version please.

Shuey
Will win our B&F and be named AA.

Vardy
With questions over NicNat – he and Lycett will probably play more together with Vardy spending 30% in the ruck. Looks fitter and faster and with confidence in his body given the great run of games in 2017, I have high expectations.

Venables
I want him as a HFF with class and poise. The odd run in the midfield is fine and expect him to pick up a Rising Star before the bye.

Waterman
Was looking really good at the end of 2017 and will be likely given a chance with JK being delayed. He will be our second Rising Star nomination in 2018.

Watson
Decision making is the key for him and would love him to be our zippy defender. I would love for him to be an automatic starter come season end named each week in the back pocket.

Yeo
AA HBF or possible midfield? Time to find out in 2018. I was vocal early saying he was too dumb to play midfield coming around to the idea of trying him an an more outside mid so maybe the wing as his outside explosive run would be a great differentiator. Question for Simpson is how best to use that explosive pace!
Who expecting to make the biggest impact/step up this year?

Started going through the list name by name but realised was basically just gushing about all of em. :rainbow:

I expect them all be amazing and all have career best years to date. Can't wait to see all our new boys!! I haven't felt this excited about football since I can't remember when

Hope the whole team has excellent health & fitness all year with only minor restings/ niggles which give opportunities for our new boys to shine that I hope they grab, I expect our boys to tackle like crazy and all have fast hands, spearing kicks, spectacular marks and kick millions of goals more than everyone else to finish with a percentage of 172%.

Looking forward to seeing what actual decent midfield coaches produce too, I loved big dean Cox but not as a stoppage coach :thumbsdown:

I hope Jetta plays and is played like in the Port final, completely unexpected and I liked it! Hope Nic Nat gets his jump back and confidence in his knees before the end of the season and that he stays healthy & strong forever. Same with Lycett re healthy and strong. Will help a lot.

Bring on 2018!

Started going through the list name by name but realised was basically just gushing about all of em. :rainbow:

I expect them all be amazing and all have career best years to date. Can't wait to see all our new boys!! I haven't felt this excited about football since I can't remember when

Hope the whole team has excellent health & fitness all year with only minor restings/ niggles which give opportunities for our new boys to shine that I hope they grab, I expect our boys to tackle like crazy and all have fast hands, spearing kicks, spectacular marks and kick millions of goals more than everyone else to finish with a percentage of 172%.

Looking forward to seeing what actual decent midfield coaches produce too, I loved big dean Cox but not as a stoppage coach :thumbsdown:

I hope Jetta plays and is played like in the Port final, completely unexpected and I liked it! Hope Nic Nat gets his jump back and confidence in his knees before the end of the season and that he stays healthy & strong forever. Same with Lycett re healthy and strong. Will help a lot.

Bring on 2018!

Good to see you posting here Rhys

Something I'd like from Darling is for him to do the easy offensive stuff a lot better and focus on being more physical defensively.

Right now he's trying to physically dominate his opponent in the air, outrun faster players, do triple backflip ninja goals, I want more of the Josh Jenkins simple lead and mark, work to space etc. You just get the feeling his game style from juniors was to dominate physically and he's not actually good enough to do that, needs to get smarter.

Then defensively hopefully he'll have more energy to bring back season 2-3 Darling, the manic chases, tackles and pressure off the ball that's been less noticeable the past few seasons. Do this and the talk about him being soft will dry up IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back