Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL calls for urgent report into Optus Stadium surface hardness.

“We’ve been in contact with the stadium management and asked for a copy of their turf management plan for Origin,” Mr Annesley (NRL Head of Football) said.

“We will assess it and then make a decision about what needs to happen. We’ve asked for hardness measures, grass lengths, everything.

“It’s obviously a concern and we might have to send our own experts over later this week.”

The West Australian can reveal pressure is building on Optus Stadium with the AFL Players’ Association joining the push to make the surface softer after a series of complaints from players.

Mr McKenna (Optus Stadium chief executive) said AFL-mandated testing consistently placed the Optus Stadium surface in the middle-to-soft range — well within acceptable parameters — but acknowledged there was a difference between test results and player experience.

Mr McKenna dismissed a persistent rumour that the reason for the hardness was that Optus Stadium’s turf was laid on concrete.

“The stadium was built on a swamp,” he said. “There was soil that was compressed to provide an impermeable layer and after that we laid down 400mm of gravel for drainage, 300mm of sand and then about 40mm of turf.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...optus-stadium-surface-hardness-ng-b881228097z

Previous reports after complaints questioning the connection with player injuries last year confirmed “The turf used for the Optus Stadium playing surface combines a natural couch grass, rye grass and artificial grass."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...surface-as-casualty-toll-mounts-ng-b88809328z

Has Luke Ryan trained this week?

Luke Ryan was at Belmont Park yesterday as part of a syndicate of Freo players to watch Hayden Ballantyne train their horse "Mankind" to a win. Ballantyne's first win as a trainer. There was no mention of training but the Freo boys all looked fit and sober in the photo in the Worst today.

Sorry for dropping in like this guys, I was just wondering whether or not the injury to Alex Pearce might mean that someone like Ryan has to play a more accountable role?

Is that possible or am I way of base and Logue will come in and just do the job?
Probably going to have Logue come in and replace Pearce. Expect Ryan to be more in that Rance/McGovern role of transitioning to different zones and try and help out. Could get uncontested marks like McGovern.
Has Luke Ryan trained this week?
He did train, from photos/reports. Obviously sore but hopefully two weeks off he’ll be ripe to go

NRL calls for urgent report into Optus Stadium surface hardness.

“We’ve been in contact with the stadium management and asked for a copy of their turf management plan for Origin,” Mr Annesley (NRL Head of Football) said.

“We will assess it and then make a decision about what needs to happen. We’ve asked for hardness measures, grass lengths, everything.

“It’s obviously a concern and we might have to send our own experts over later this week.”

The West Australian can reveal pressure is building on Optus Stadium with the AFL Players’ Association joining the push to make the surface softer after a series of complaints from players.

Mr McKenna (Optus Stadium chief executive) said AFL-mandated testing consistently placed the Optus Stadium surface in the middle-to-soft range — well within acceptable parameters — but acknowledged there was a difference between test results and player experience.

Mr McKenna dismissed a persistent rumour that the reason for the hardness was that Optus Stadium’s turf was laid on concrete.

“The stadium was built on a swamp,” he said. “There was soil that was compressed to provide an impermeable layer and after that we laid down 400mm of gravel for drainage, 300mm of sand and then about 40mm of turf.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-...optus-stadium-surface-hardness-ng-b881228097z

Previous reports after complaints questioning the connection with player injuries last year confirmed “The turf used for the Optus Stadium playing surface combines a natural couch grass, rye grass and artificial grass."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...surface-as-casualty-toll-mounts-ng-b88809328z
Post this on the Stadium forums. Good report though.

Any questions on the drainage. Feel it’s almost counterproductive to what it’s meant to do. Drains TOO well that the ground isn’t naturally wet and dries out quicker

Probably going to have Logue come in and replace Pearce. Expect Ryan to be more in that Rance/McGovern role of transitioning to different zones and try and help out. Could get uncontested marks like McGovern.

He did train, from photos/reports. Obviously sore but hopefully two weeks off he’ll be ripe to go

Ryan was in the rehab group on Tuesday but that doesn't mean a lot. Apparently Hamling was as well.

Post this on the Stadium forums. Good report though.

Any questions on the drainage. Feel it’s almost counterproductive to what it’s meant to do. Drains TOO well that the ground isn’t naturally wet and dries out quicker
You only have 30 cm of sand over 40 cm of gravel over around 30 cm of compressed dirt over the concrete. Doesn't sound like much sand over hard gravel but good drainage!

Edit: I had to read today's article again as I'm not sure they have the order of soil, sand and gravel reported correctly. Or have I misread?

But it's also interesting the grass is a combination of artificial turf with couch and rye grass. Artificial turf is a very hard surface but wouldn't affect the below ground AFL ground hardness measures they do.

You only have 30 cm of sand over 40 cm of gravel over around 30 cm of compressed dirt over the concrete. Doesn't sound like much sand over hard gravel but good drainage!

Edit: I had to read today's article again as I'm not sure they have the order of soil, sand and gravel reported correctly. Or have I misread?

But it's also interesting the grass is a combination of artificial turf with couch and rye grass. Artificial turf is a very hard surface but wouldn't affect the below ground AFL ground hardness measures they do.

I’ve seen a profile of these surfaces. The synthetic grass strands are placed below the surface and their depth, density of implantation and chemical make up can apparently be chosen to suit the specs of the grass surface required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan wasn't looking 100% and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get up. He didn't do the run thru with the team @ 80% so he must be doubtful.

I’ve seen a profile of these surfaces. The synthetic grass strands are placed below the surface and their depth, density of implantation and chemical make up can apparently be chosen to suit the specs of the grass surface required.

I have now posted on the Stadiums Thread but can you confirm what the percentage mix of natural couch grass, rye grass and artificial turf is?

I'm curious why we would need any artificial turf in an open roof stadium. Do you have a opinion why?

There is no concrete under the pitch....trust me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no concrete under the pitch....trust me
Sorry not sure why I said that. Do you know why they use artificial turf in the grass?

Sorry not sure why I said that. Do you know why they use artificial turf in the grass?

His statement is correct.
Below the gravel is a clay mix that has a spooned surface with sub soil drainage.

Grass only needs to be held together where it’s not growing strongly enough, so I’d say it’d only be included in the areas that are susceptible to a lack of sunshine.
Or heavy traffic, but that covers enough of the surface that the entire field would have it.

One thing we have in Perth is plenty of sunshine and sandy soils which drain well. In an open roofed stadium I don't see the need for artificial turf. Subiaco Oval didn't need it and is the Docklands stadium the only other AFL venue to use it?

Anyhow you need a Masters of Practical Grass Management to solve this. Old studies showed the relative percentages of Rye to Couch grasses can be a protective factor in ACL injuries and in how slippery the surface is.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/09/26/1468314.htm

Are there any up to date studies looking at harness and how its measured relating to lower leg injuries?

I have now posted on the Stadiums Thread but can you confirm what the percentage mix of natural couch grass, rye grass and artificial turf is?

I'm curious why we would need any artificial turf in an open roof stadium. Do you have a opinion why?

I think it’s more common in Europe where it makes a big difference to surface stability and ease of management. Like you I don’t see the benefits so much in our climate.

But the hybrid grass- synthetic systems are supposed to allow you to customise hardness, friction etc

IMG_2948.jpg IMG_2949.jpg

I really have no idea, but my intuition tells me these artificial fibres sound like the problem, especially if they are finely spaced. Maybe over summer they can hire a few people with OCD to crawl around the ground with some pliers and a bucket.

Sorry for dropping in like this guys, I was just wondering whether or not the injury to Alex Pearce might mean that someone like Ryan has to play a more accountable role?

Is that possible or am I way of base and Logue will come in and just do the job?
No change to his role. Logue will play was a kpd

I really have no idea, but my intuition tells me these artificial fibres sound like the problem, especially if they are finely spaced. Maybe over summer they can hire a few people with OCD to crawl around the ground with some pliers and a bucket.
Hopefully they can hire my fiancee so shell leave my ******* back hairs alone.

Or heavy traffic, but that covers enough of the surface that the entire field would have it.

Heavy traffic affects the surface but doesn’t weaken the root zone so no need for it (artificial)

Certain areas of the stadium must have limited direct sunlight hours for the need to include artificial, which makes sense with the low sun trajectory in winter and the high stadium size plus roof shades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back