Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

They do a fine job every year. Most footy teams do. Injuries are just a part of the game and luck is sometimes high, medium or low. Just take Richmond this year as an example, caught up with them but they aren't going to fire the S&C team are they?
Ive said this before, but even in the nba where they spend a fortune on strength and conditioning there are injuries including career ending calf injuries.. Luck, genetics and the expertise of the surgeon who repairs an injury all play a massively bigger role than the strength and conditioning program in preventing injuries. Just look at Richmond this year with their injuries compared to recent years. Its not like the strength and conditioning team at that club suddenly got worse. FFS. There's a difference between an opinion and going on a baseless rant for the sake of it. Time to call out the repeat ignorance and delusion of those who consistently launch attacks on this board on the strength and conditioing team with the zero to back up their views in my opinion.

Last edited:
Wow, what will happen if Sandi, Lobb, Darcy are all available in the 2nd half of the year?
I hope we don't go too tall again. Its been working great with one ruck, 2 talls up front.
Good problem to have but gee its going to get tough in selection with Cerra, Bennell to somehow come in too.
Darcy and Lobb are the future so they play as the ruck combo.

Sandi to play as a pressure forward.

Ive said this before, but even in the nba where they spend a fortune on strength and conditioning there are injuries including career ending calf injuries.. Luck, genetics and the expertise of the surgeon who repairs an injury all play a massively bigger role than the strength and conditioning program in preventing injuries. Just look at Richmond this year with their injuries compared to recent years. Its not like the strength and conditioning team at that club suddenly got worse. FFS. There's a difference between an opinion and going on a baseless rant for the sake of it. Time to call out the repeat ignorance and delusion of those who consistently launch attacks on this board on the strength and conditioing team with the zero to back up their views in my opinion.
No they are totally useless, despite me not having any medical qualifications whatsoever and the closest contact with the players is watching from the couch on TV or 100m away up in the stands.

Darcy and Lobb are the future so they play as the ruck combo.

Sandi to play as a pressure forward.
he could bite the heads off defenders as they swarm around him.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure I even want 2 rucks since we've been going so beautifully with one and an extra small/medium in the team. We've looked our worst this year when we've tried to fit in too many - Lobb, McCarthy, Taberner, Hogan, Cox. We only need 1 ruck and 2 tall forwards. If you carry Lobb and Darcy, Darcy becomes a liability when he's not rucking, Lobb can at least play forward but he seems to be most effective just following the ball all game.

I'm not a Taberner hater but has it almost been better that he's been out of the side for structure?
Assuming we are tracking as a top four team, once Lobb is available plonk him at CHF and pinch hit in the ruck. Sandy should get priority over Darcy as ruckman, he simply doesnt have the conditioning to effectively runout a string of games being a 21 year old ruck.

I'm not a Taberner hater but has it almost been better that he's been out of the side for structure?

When he went out of the side we had Hogan and Cox in the team as well. I don’t think anyone will argue with me when I say he was performing better than Cox. The problem may have been three talls.

That begs the question for next year whether we can play Darcy, Lobb, Taberner and Hogan in the same side. Well three talls plus Darcy looked okay Round One when they all performed. If they all perform I can’t see why not.

he could bite the heads off defenders as they swarm around him.

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure I even want 2 rucks since we've been going so beautifully with one and an extra small/medium in the team. We've looked our worst this year when we've tried to fit in too many - Lobb, McCarthy, Taberner, Hogan, Cox. We only need 1 ruck and 2 tall forwards. If you carry Lobb and Darcy, Darcy becomes a liability when he's not rucking, Lobb can at least play forward but he seems to be most effective just following the ball all game.

Agree, we were too tall earlier on. However, Lobb playing mostly fwd was the plan from the get go and I think the best position for him. Darcy effectively takes over form Lobb, Lobb from Cox. Now Darcy then will play more fwd, and yes, it it does mean we lose something (kind of like Darcy for Cox), but not that much and it wouldn't be that often. Just the odd ocasion when he needs a break from ruck duties or when its not working out.

The setup of Hogan, Lobb, Darcy as our main talls - (plus an inform version of McCarthy too would be nice), that is our main talls/marking fwd combo I want to see given a go.

Given where Darcy is at, Tabs (when fit) then becomes the next in line when/if we're happy to go one ruck - that's how I'd like things to be tried anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandilands is one of the greatest servants of the club and one of our club’s greats. Having sat through the finals in 2015 with McPharlin on the sidelines I felt a bit hollow whenever I saw him walking onto the field after games in a suit knowing I’d most likely never properly celebrate the career of a club great. Would’ve loved to contribute to giving him the applause he deserves. Hope the same doesn’t happen to Sandilands.

At the same time though I feel Darcy must be given the priority from this point onwards. If Sandilands can give him a game or twos rest and I could see the big fella play again at Optus Stadium it’d be ideal.

I agree. I think you have to consider not just what a player brings as an individual but the effect they have on the overall synergy of the team.
I think perhaps Tabs isn't particularly smart player and although he is a strong contested mark I'm not sure he makes good decisions and or helps to bring others into the play in a positive way at times. He and Hogan were definitely not a happening thing although they may have needed more time together.
Cox and Hogan though seems to work great and it seems to really allow Matera and Walters to get to work around them.

I agree. I think you have to consider not just what a player brings as an individual but the effect they have on the overall synergy of the team.
I think perhaps Tabs isn't particularly smart player and although he is a strong contested mark I'm not sure he makes good decisions and or helps to bring others into the play in a positive way at times. He and Hogan were definitely not a happening thing although they may have needed more time together.
Cox and Hogan though seems to work great and it seems to really allow Matera and Walters to get to work around them.
Yeah for all the s**t cox gets on here for being too laconic, doesn’t try hard enough etc what he lacks in physical attributes to tabs he’s miles in front when it comes to footy nous.

He smashes tabs in the area of being able to bring the smaller players into the game (watch how he try’s to direct his taps/spoils in marking contests to those around him )and more often than not decent at at least halving contests when out of position.
Plus he’s definitely more agile than tabs with ball on ground

Tabs has certainly gotten better at this but hes still at the point if he doesn’t mark it he still struggles to half contests /bring those around him into the play.

Now While I’m definitely a fan It’s for this reason, (along with his limited rucking ability) that I think tabs , Will still be the one we most likely trade at some point in time(or should)
Certainly I think he’d hold the most value in a trade for us anywsy

Not really his fault just more a victim of circumstance

Yeah for all the **** cox gets on here for being too laconic, doesn’t try hard enough etc what he lacks in physical attributes to tabs he’s miles in front when it comes to footy nous.

He smashes tabs in the area of being able to bring the smaller players into the game (watch how he try’s to direct his taps/spoils in marking contests to those around him )and more often than not decent at at least halving contests when out of position.
Plus he’s definitely more agile than tabs with ball on ground

Tabs has certainly gotten better at this but hes still at the point if he doesn’t mark it he still struggles to half contests /bring those around him into the play.

Now While I’m definitely a fan It’s for this reason, (along with his limited rucking ability) that I think tabs , Will still be the one we most likely trade at some point in time(or should)
Certainly I think he’d hold the most value in a trade for us anywsy

Not really his fault just more a victim of circumstance
I remember When Mundy used to cop s**t on here for being too laconic
I'm a huge fan of Cox, you can't teach the timing and feel he has for the contest

I've enjoyed the work from Cox this season, with another preseason or two his repeat efforts and general involvements will go way up.

But if we are playing finals and our choice is between Lobb or Cox as the FWD/Ruck, then I'm picking Rory.
That’s a no brainer at this stage but I don’t see it necessarily as one or the other provided we get our combo of smalls right
I still like the idea of 3 talls(McCarthy be the best option here but until his form lifts he stays at peel) so bringing lobb back in but keeping could still work.

Always said Taberner has all the physical attributes and tools but has no natural footy brain. He'll for example get a mark up on the wing after a nice long hard working run but then slowly wheel around take a few seconds and then almost always kick to a long safe option to a contest or something. Nothing overly 'wrong' with that but it's just a deficiency in his game when other players would look to use the ball in that situation in a more creative way at least at first.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back