Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs’ forward Aaron Naughton will spend an extended period on the sidelines after scans revealed a moderate grade medial ligament injury.

The 24-year-old had his knee caught in a tackle and while avoiding ACL damage, will miss the next 4-6 weeks.

Ed Richards and Anthony Scott will both sit within the concussion protocols, with the pair to be monitored before a return to play guidelines is assessed.

James O’Donnell has turned a corner from his illness and returned to training today.

It is expected the young defender will be available for the Collingwood clash.

Injury List - Round 12

James O’Donnell (illness) - Test
Ed Richards (concussion) – TBC
Anthony Scott (concussion) – TBC
Tom Liberatore (concussion) – 1-2 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 4-5 weeks
Aaron Naughton (knee) – 4-6 weeks
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 4-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (wrist) – 12-14 weeks
Bailey Smith (ACL) – Season

I see Cody's elbow is healing faster than JJ's hammy. He has caught up a week on him (over a period of one week).

Four senior players suddenly become available in about 6 weeks - Naughton, Weightman, JJ, Coffield. Might help us lift for the run home.

I see Cody's elbow is healing faster than JJ's hammy. He has caught up a week on him (over a period of one week).

Four senior players suddenly become available in about 6 weeks - Naughton, Weightman, JJ, Coffield. Might help us lift for the run home.
Meanwhile Coffield’s 3-5 weeks has become 4-6.

For those who saw more of Coffield at the Saints, could he play alongside 3 proper talks (Jones, Keath, JOD) or is that too too heavy? Also interested if he could play on a wing or if he doesn’t have the tank.

For those who saw more of Coffield at the Saints, could he play alongside 3 proper talks (Jones, Keath, JOD) or is that too too heavy? Also interested if he could play on a wing or if he doesn’t have the tank.
He’s always been more of a mid sized defender to me rather than a third tall. The injuries might have slowed him a little.

It would be great if he could stay fit and come on in that role considering Richards might now be a midfielder.

He’s always been more of a mid sized defender to me rather than a third tall. The injuries might have slowed him a little.

It would be great if he could stay fit and come on in that role considering Richards might now be a midfielder.
If he can fit in alongside 3 other talls that would be perfect and gives plenty of cover along with Williams for an in-game injury or tactical sub.

If he can fit in alongside 3 other talls that would be perfect and gives plenty of cover along with Williams for an in-game injury or tactical sub.
Offensively the answer is yes. Coffield was third in the league in marks average in 2020, where Covid weirdness of a season aside, shows that Coffield was trusted and ultimately proven himself as a kick-mark distributer defensively..

Defensively the answer is "it depends".

A couple of years back JJs hammy was listed as 2-3 weeks for 2-3 months with no comment or update from anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Western Bulldogs could welcome back two midfield stars ahead of a Friday night clash against the Lions at Marvel Stadium.

Tom Liberatore and Ed Richards need to get through main training to be deemed available for the fixture, with the pair missing due to concussion.

“Tom has built some great continuity in his training in the last few weeks,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.
“He has progressed as well as we could have hoped and ticked every possible box to declare his availability.”

“If he gets through main training Wednesday like I expect, he will return to availability.”
Richards has progressed well through the post-concussion framework and will be assessed over the next 48-72 hours.

James Harmes is set for a stint on the sidelines after damaging his hamstring in the win over Collingwood.

“Scans have confirmed that James has suffered a low-grade hamstring injury,” Bell said.

“I expect him to miss the next 3-4 weeks of footy.”

While Laith Vandermeer exited the game in the second quarter, the small forward is a chance to face last year’s grand finalists.

“Scans have confirmed a pocket of fluid surrounding his hamstring muscle that is related to a corky that has bled,” Bell said.

This explains his hamstring muscle not working properly.”

“We will work through a process with Laitham this week to restore his hamstring function which will determine his availability.”

Jason Johannisen has suffered a further setback, injuring his calf over the weekend, with his return date set for a fortnight after the bye.

Injury list

Ed Richards (concussion) – test
Anthony Scott (concussion) – test
Tom Liberatore (concussion) – test
Laith Vandermeer (hamstring ) - test
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 2-4 weeks
James Harmes (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 3-5 weeks
Aaron Naughton (knee) – 3-5 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 5-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (wrist) – 10-12 weeks
Bailey Smith (ACL) – Season

So JJ has injured his calf whilst rehabbing his hamstring?

I think it's just about time to put a line through him despite some positive initial early form. His body is no longer up to it.

Too slow.

He'd be the slowest of those 4 guys.

Definitely too slow to play a wing.

If we can avoid losing too many more players over the next fortnight could be back to near full strength by the north game / week after

I think it's just about time to put a line through him despite some positive initial early form. His body is no longer up to it.
Time might have come for JJ but that happens to all at some point

Coffield isn’t slow, he actually has some jets. Great player, just needs to get his body right. Time will tell if that ever happens.
Disagree.

When I watched him play for st kilda if he was any slower he'd be running backwards, and that was pre about 5 injuries.

Was worth a flyer for the zero cost but hes not dislodging anyone in the current team.

I'm not a huge busslinger guy but even he probably deserves a look in the big team long before coffield gets another go. Fitness allowing.

Last edited:
Disagree.

When I watched him play for st kilda if he was any slower he'd be running backwards, and that was pre about 5 injuries.

Was worth a flyer for the zero cost but hes not dislodging anyone in the current team.

I'm not a huge busslinger guy but even he probably deserves a look in the big team long before coffield gets another go. Fitness allowing.

He did do a 2.90 over 20m in draft testing which is elite, you'll see that if you go back and look at his draft profile. From watching him as a junior I don't remember him ever using his speed with ball in hand, often looked like he was treading water, but was able to keep up with and play on the smaller forwards. Injuries may have prevented that though.

Calf is admittedly the ultimate old man injury, although it seems as though JJ has a soft tissue injury every year & he always comes back well.

I thought he was a bit younger than 31 (32 end of year) so it’s perhaps a bit dicey, although I still think he’s a required player if he wants to push on next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back