Injury-free the key at Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish someone would get in Ballantyne's ear and tell him to only ever go at a maximum of 90%. He doesn't know his limitations and always pushes himself to breaking point.

I would rather him run at a maximum of 90% and play 100% of the games than going 110% and breaking down every third week.

Even at 90% he would still be quicker and more tenacious than most players.

I wish someone would get in Ballantyne's ear and tell him to only ever go at a maximum of 90%. He doesn't know his limitations and always pushes himself to breaking point.

I would rather him run at a maximum of 90% and play 100% of the games than going 110% and breaking down every third week.

Good luck with that:p

A Leopard can't change his spots.

Did anyone else do the double-take when they read this part?

"Obviously with a new coach there's been a different philosophy from Ross [Lyon]," key defender Alex Silvagni said from Fremantle Oval on Monday as the club's fifth to eighth-year players returned.

"It's working on fitness early on and then incorporating skills and things, the footy aspect, at a later stage.

"There's a lot of emphasis on the running early, compared with Mark [Harvey] last year. He had different aspects - a lot of football and a lot of tackling and boxing.

I thought all they did this time last year was laps, laps and more laps with no sign of the footys?

Did anyone else do the double-take when they read this part?

I thought all they did this time last year was laps, laps and more laps with no sign of the footys?
Different coaches have different philosophies.

Geelong under Bomber Thompson would only do skills for the first half of the preseason, then start running. Might have meant they were not as fit initially, but their skills were tighter and the fitness came on as the season wore on. All about timing the run of when your players are hitting their straps AFAIK.

Preseason just underway and considering what happend last year, no counting the chickens just yet.

One look at West Coast highlights what a clean injury list does for a club. Let's hope Lyon focusing on the fitness first has an impact.

I'll be over the moon if we can enter round 1 of 2012 with our strongest side.

Apparently hilly not only struggled with shin complaints last season, but he also played with a groin injury all year.If hilly can stay injury free in 2012, lookout.

"There's a lot of emphasis on the running early, compared with Mark [Harvey] last year. He had different aspects - a lot of football and a lot of tackling and boxing."

If that is true its not as surprising players were getting injured early

During the time that Harvey was sacked there was a bit of talk about him over-ruling medical advice. I'm not sure how true that was, but that wouldn't have helped either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"There's a lot of emphasis on the running early, compared with Mark [Harvey] last year. He had different aspects - a lot of football and a lot of tackling and boxing."

If that is true its not as surprising players were getting injured early

I can't say the tackling stood out last season either, or the focus on being combative.

something must have gone awry if we couldn't implement the things we trained for. injury is no excuse in that regard.

i think we were saving it for 2012. last year was just a ruse to lull the opposition into a false sense of security by thinking we were inept, and then booyah! come at us mofos, we'll unleash the powah. that seemed to be what harves was implying after he was sacked anyway.

I must say I recall last year pre-season being mostly about running, and most of our injuries were impact injuries - even though quite a few had interrupted pre-seasons.

The year before that was noted as being combative from the start - which most of us applauded at the time because our contested work before then was useless. That year I also remember there being discussion and comments from harvey about practicing skills under heavy fatigue to simulate game conditions - and we were successful in 2009.

I must say I recall last year pre-season being mostly about running, and most of our injuries were impact injuries - even though quite a few had interrupted pre-seasons.

The year before that was noted as being combative from the start - which most of us applauded at the time because our contested work before then was useless. That year I also remember there being discussion and comments from harvey about practicing skills under heavy fatigue to simulate game conditions - and we were successful in 2009.

Yeah, to be fair I thought that made sense too, until i realised the guys had played a whole season in the pre-season. It's hard to know how to prepare a player for a season while still keeping him/her hungry. hope Lyon has the answer.

i think we were saving it for 2012. last year was just a ruse to lull the opposition into a false sense of security by thinking we were inept, and then booyah! come at us mofos, we'll unleash the powah. that seemed to be what harves was implying after he was sacked anyway.

hahah if the crap he was saying after he got sacked was actually true, then he deserved what was coming. It'd be a pretty pathetic mindset to be going through 2011 thinking "oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway because next year is the year". We should be starting every year with an eye on the premiership.

By the end of the year Harvey and most of his coaching staff didn't know whether they were coming, going or been there. Harvey was way out of his depth when he realised the game style (won't call it a plan) wasn't going to work two seasons in a row. Way too demanding, with too little reward to be sustainable over any length of time.

harvs is a case of his ambition being greater than his skill. he had the long view, but the reality of the short view, i.e. having a game plan and managing all players without bias, was lost on him. anyhoo, glad that all eventually came out in the wash. one thing with all the injuries from the last season is that now, whenever a player is interviewed and discusses getting a preseason under their belt, i think "yeah, but what if you get injured."
hopefully those kinds of thought rack off.

hahah if the crap he was saying after he got sacked was actually true, then he deserved what was coming. It'd be a pretty pathetic mindset to be going through 2011 thinking "oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway because next year is the year". We should be starting every year with an eye on the premiership.

This is a plainly ridiculous statement. Winning a premiership every year is impossible. Its all about planning a journey to set the team up to be successful at a particular point in time. A lot of things have to come together all at once for that to equate to the ultimate prize, and it will never happen if we keep chopping and changing.

This is a plainly ridiculous statement. Winning a premiership every year is impossible. Its all about planning a journey to set the team up to be successful at a particular point in time. A lot of things have to come together all at once for that to equate to the ultimate prize, and it will never happen if we keep chopping and changing.

I agree but it should be the playing list and coaching staff mindset!!
Everybody plays to win Premierships not to make up numbers

A lot of things have to come together all at once for that to equate to the ultimate prize, and it will never happen if we keep chopping and changing.

A pretty ridiculous statement, when it is more likely you will move closer to a premiership by moving on a meathead of a coach and gaining one of the best in the leauge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back