Interview Question

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I've got a job interview coming up next week. One of the questions they usually ask that I'm never quite sure how to answer is. "Where do you see yourself in five years time?' What is the best answer to this question without sounding arrogant or lacking ambition?

The answer is exactly where you want to be in 5 years time? Do you know the answer?

Regardless of what the answer is it is probably more important that you have a clear take on what it is that you want.

Don't feel as though you have to respond by saying that you want to be running the company by then, it is not always necessary to want to rule the world, what they are usually trying to ascertain by asking this question is whether or not they are going to be able to satisfy your career ambitions as an organisation, or if you are going to move on after 6 months because they don't have the right career pathway for you.

Don't forget a job interview goes both ways, it is about you finding out if you want the job and if they are good enough for you as much as it is about them deciding whether or not they want you.

Say something like:

I have applied for the position with this company because through my research of the company I felt it was headed in a similar direction to what I feel I'd like my career to go (mission & values crap, market leader, blow some smoke up em & show them you took the time to research you potential employer). As a result I'd like to be successful in my application for the position, show my worth & grow within the business. Where that ends I'm not sure but I feel I have the determination & the ability to prove an integral part of the business & as a result progress within the company.

You tell them what they want to hear, show you're keen on working for them & don't make a definite statement of where you think you have to be which gives you wiggle room & not big noting yourself.

Here's a good lie. Memorize this:

"I could probably answer that question better in six months. I like to learn all aspects of my own job, how it relates to the company and then become as proficient and efficient as possible. Then I want to look for additional responsibilities and seek promotion when it's available. Right at the moment I don't know everything about how the company operates, but I intend to learn. A short answer is, in 5 years I would like to be invaluable."

How's that for a good lie?

Also if they ask this:

"In the novel 'The Catcher in the Rye' you would describe the character Holden Caulfield as:
A. A compelling character with whom I readily identify.
B. An annoying little s**t who could use a good ass-kicking.

The answer is B.

Good luck,

I tend to answer that question based on the size of the company. Large companies like it if you're ambitious because their internal career opportunities are a big part of their staff retention strategy.

Small companies you need to be a little more circumspect. They might only have one or two people at the level above you, and they might be planning on being there til they retire.

In general I try and give them the impression I have no preconceived ideas of being in X position by Y date, but that I desire to keep moving up and challenging myself.

powerful girl summed it up nicely - one of the keys to the question is to show that you are thinking about your long term career, and you aren't doing to job until something else comes up.

I got asked the question in my interview about 6 months ago - I basically said something along the lines that I wanted to stay in the department (this is a big company) but would be happy to apply my skills to where my manager thinks would be the best for the department. In other words, I want to be where the company would like me to be, not where I want to be.

If you're moving to a bigger company - you are looking for a clearer career path / ability to cross-skill / ability to work with big clients/projects/etc. due to the opportunities offered by a larger employer.

If you're moving to a smaller company - you are looking for a more personal corporate culture / opportunity to get hands-on with more areas of the business / more ownership of your role available with a smaller employee base.

If you're moving to a similar sized company - make up some s**t about how you really like something about the company that is different to your old employer (location/client base/industry area).

There is a new employment board in the now called 'education & employment' section.

Keep an eye out there also for employment related info.

Generally speaking, with all these questions I sort of just put myself in the interviewer's shoes and try and ask myself what the core thing they're looking for is. As long as you address that, it doesn't matter if the answer doesn't make you look absolutely perfect.

The questioner isn't asking to be impressed by how you always make sure you never have too much on your plate, or how you've worked 60 hour weeks to get stuff done because you're so dedicated. He wants to know how you react when the chips are down.

Pick a situation where you have ended up with way too much to do. Either you screwed up, or someone dropped something unexpected on you - it doesn't matter. How did you deal with it? Did you seek help? Were you realistic about your ability to get stuff done? Did you formulate a solution, or dump it all on your boss to sort out?

Personally? I use a situation where I seriously ****ed up and got myself in a mess, BUT I was able to communicate this to my boss in a timely manner and bring him a solution (revised deadlines, what I could realistically achieve, what I needed people to help me with). The whole team pitched in, we met everyone's expectations.

Interviewers don't mind you telling them about times you messed up if you can demonstrate how you've learned from it. In fact, they usually appreciate it - most lessons are learned the hard way, and if you've already learned a particular lesson by ****ing up at somebody else's company then you're not going to do it at theirs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a job interview coming up next week. One of the questions they usually ask that I'm never quite sure how to answer is. "Where do you see yourself in five years time?' What is the best answer to this question without sounding arrogant or lacking ambition?

If you want to be cheeky and not get the job ask to swap seats. :eek:

Something about an allergic reaction to fast food?

I did it while overseas...of course this was a Big W job and they knew it was coming, only did it because I wanted my long service leave allowance.

I presume you're doing it so your notice will start quicker? If you're leaving to start another job I don't think anyone would have a problem with it, though I wouldn't assume that time on leave would count as notice.

Does anyone have any idea or sound, reasonable advice about resigning whilst on annual leave? Is it bad etiquette?

You can defintiely resign while on leave, if your contract/ EA etc says you have to give two / four weeks notice or whatever, that is from the date you resign, so legally I don't believe it is an issue.

But think about whether or not it is the "right thing" to do or not by the company - I say never burn bridges, you don't know what the future holds.

If you are going to be away for several weeks though, I would suggest it may even be better for them if you do resign straight away, effectively it is giving them longer to replace you than if you come back and give 2 weeks notice. They probably have someone covering your role anyway while you are away so the transition may be easier.

You might want to consider calling your boss and explaining the situation and coming up with a solution that works for both of you, maybe suggest give notice immediately and then just go back for a day as soon as you return to do a hand over.

Good luck!

Thanks Powerful girl, sound advice - "resigning and saying my 4 weeks can begin on my return."

I know that you can technically resign whenever you want but want to follow the proper etiquette.

I have a great relationship with my boss and skip line manager. And the last thing i want to do is burn them or a bridge with my current employer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back