Training Intra Club - Saturday 10/02/18 @ 10:00am - replay links in post 189

Remove this Banner Ad

Langford has really worked his way into it. A lot more physical and fierce at the contest this second half.

I’d like to see him rotating up forward too because he’s dangerous as a lead-up forward and is an accurate set shot. Good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer was great - probably bog. Did excellent around the stoppages and still kicked his 2 goals (was handed one from Daniher who had a mark 50 out).

Generally most of the guys performed the way you would expect them to. I thought Langford was quiet in the first half but the second half he really picked up. Still not sure about him, reckon he'll at least be a solid player. Not sure I believe he'll be much more than that.

Zac Merrett, Tippa and Zaka were all class.

McGrath had some nice moments including two centre clearances in a row in the second quarter.

Parish seemed to get a fair bit of it.

McKenna was very good. Great disposal, looks in great shape and looks confident out there.

Begley didn't have a massive day but he just has that big body, great skills and competitiveness. I'd 100% pick him any day over Josh Green (really don't see why we need 3 small forwards). Plus Begley is probably quicker than Green anyway. Seems like the perfect player to rotate between midfield and forward with Stringer.

Saad and Smith were both good as well - probably doing what you would expect of them.

Was good to see the likes of Parish and Langford fight their way back in to have more influence on the game late after being relatively quiet/patchy first half. Heppell and Zerrett on another level than most on the ground for most of the game, and was really pleasing to see how sharp the forward setup looked. No weak-link in the front 6 really (apart from Cale's kicking, but no surprises there).

Few thoughts...

Smith - My BOG. So sharp when in possession of the ball, won it really well inside and will be a great addition to our midfield group. Also kicked a goal.

Heppell - Was critical of him last year but has returned with much more size. This was evident as he didn't go to ground and stood up in tackles. Big year ahead for the skip.

Stringer - Another who played really well. Kicked a couple of goals and had an impact around stoppages. Running was a big improvement on what he has displayed previously.

Merrett - Typical Zach game, snuck forward for a goal.

Zaka - Linked up extremely well on the outside before going off. Ominous signs for opposition wingmen.

Parish - Quiet first half, not helped by Mckernan getting dominated by Tbell (same goes for Langford, Laverde and Myers). Much better in the 2nd however.

Langford - Got better as the game wore on, should be in for round 1. What stood out to me is him finally realising he's not a skinny kid anymore. Much more confident when attacking the ball on the ground and in the air. Nice lead, mark and goal opposed to Baguley in the 3rd or 4th. Still needs to work on getting his hands free in contested situations however.

Fantasia - Trademark flair on display when moving up the ground, also started the game with the first couple of goals. Going very nicely.

Laverde - Lacked intensity and flair, went off during the 2nd and didn't return. Think he might've been carrying a niggle.

McNiece, Saad and McKenna - All rebounded very strongly with McKenna the pick of the bunch. With the latter two probably locks, McNiece should slot in with ease whenever we are playing against a shorter froward line.

Guelfi - Played everywhere, mostly through half back and midfield. Defended well and his kicking was good. Still needs to put size on so he can stand up in contested situations when playing midfield. Really nice body positioning to out mark Draper early in the game.

Mynott - Attacked the ball ferociously and his quick hands were a highlight. Kicking needs work.

Hooker - Should take a page from Joe's book and hand off to Stringer instead of taking the set shot. Think he ended up with 0.3 and one OOTF.

Begley - Didn't find much of it, but always used it well when he gets it. Has a killer combo with his size, endurance, aggression and disposal so I'd be pumping games into him.

My round 1 team:
FB: Patrick Ambrose - Michael Hartley - Adam Saad
HB: Conor McKenna - Michael Hurley - Martin Gleeson
C: David Zaharakis - Dyson Heppell - Zach Merrett
HF: Jake Stringer - Joe Daniher - Josh Begley
FF: Orazio Fantasia - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Tom Bellchambers - David Myers - Devon Smith
I: Kyle Langford - Darcy Parish - Brendon Goddard - Andrew McGrath
E: Ben McNiece - James Stewart - Josh Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back