Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember the first time I did 100kg bench, I was about 20 years old.

No technique, unrack, let it drop to my chest (no control whatsover), then pray to God that I can lift it up. Brave and stupid.

Yes I did push it all the way back up, but that involved using probably every other muscle in my body except my chest.:D Pretty sure, my arse was way off the bench too.
I would have been exactly the same to be honest, i squeezed an extra 15kgs out once i got a decent technique.

I follow a few powerlifters who all arch the s**t out of their backs and say its totally fine. Apparently in comp it is but it looks completely cooked to me.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would have been exactly the same to be honest, i squeezed an extra 15kgs out once i got a decent technique.

I follow a few powerlifters who all arch the sh*t out of their backs and say its totally fine. Apparently in comp it is but it looks completely cooked to me.

Yes learning decent technique can surprisingly can add a few kilos easily.

There is arching and then there is arching.

giphy.gif

I am more like the guy below, but still my arch is a lot more less pronounced.

PUryL.gif

k31th

Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Nobody in the gym with me right now. Parked the car right out the front and keeping an eye on that beautiful machine :)

Nothing to report for this topic, though. Empty gym FTW!

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nobody in the gym with me right now. Parked the car right out the front and keeping an eye on that beautiful machine :)

Nothing to report for this topic, though. Empty gym FTW!

Yeah, I’ve noticed in Melbourne at least with it starting to get darker earlier and colder at nights, the crowds have started to go down.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
I had someone walk between me and the cable I was using, just as I was about to grab it. Clueless.

wcesam

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I had someone walk between me and the cable I was using, just as I was about to grab it. Clueless.

The other day I had someone duck under the cables whilst I was mid-set, they ended up behind me, trapped in between the cables, just to grab an attachment. Such a weird move.

revival_mode

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
got a bit of a razz from a barista this morning as to why she hasn't seen me in the gym for a while... thanks now i feel even better about it :$

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
After a terrible day of eating and AFL, I wanted to hit the gym today.

Unfortunately my digestive system has other ideas.

Say what you want, but fueling yourself properly is so essential for a good workout. While I do it religiously, first time I didnt go, because I ate so much crap its effecting me the next day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Glory be, this guy obviously got annoyed by another guy.

yeah um so this guy was um, he was annoying me so bad i couldnt lift. so i ummm....and he's like only lifting 30s. lol. so I couldn't take it and ummm..

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All joking aside that is ******* disgraceful.

The fact that the guy can join a gym in 10 months time, is incredible.

He should get a life ban by the judge to attend any gym in Australia.

I suspect there has been something that just set this guy off and to go to that extreme to retaliate is worrying. He will IMO do something like this again.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yeah um so this guy was um, he was annoying me so bad i couldnt lift. so i ummm....and he's like only lifting 30s. lol. so I couldn't take it and ummm..

An empty gym like this, would be my happy place.

I admit when there is just 2-3 people working out, the gym is so enjoyable.

I genuinely find peace and happiness in this setting. For the guy to be triggered so easily is the bigger concern. The investigators would have poured over hours of footage to find any reason for this rage.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty sure I irritated a guy last week.

I saw a "newbie" who was struggling with the pull up machine and said to him, with no one around and gently suggested its easier to perform the exercise with the more weight you add.

He looked irritated that I made suggestion and told me he was fine, I said its cool and quietly walked away.

He continued to perform the exercise barely even quarter repping while doing each rep.

Fast forward to today, I see him stack on the weight and perform the exercise properly.

In hindsight I learnt my lesson and should not have said a word.

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
6 days straight going to the gym, while I could go today, Im feeling a little wiped out and exhausted.

I also know sometimes when I have pushed myself hard one day, I have missed 2-3 days as a result. Definitely felt weaker in my PUSH day yesterday, it wasnt the weight that was heavy but rather I was mentally fatigued.

Sometimes learning to do less can gain you much more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad