Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Lady just sitting on a step up box aimlessly doing bicep curls, shoulder presses etc one day last week.

Not so much irritating but I've noticed a trend of guys with headphones on but will occasionally talk to themselves as if no one is around. Just weird.

1. People who work out in pairs, resulting in the resting party sitting on other gym equipment in between sets. Yes, saying 'Hey are you using this?' sounds like an easy thing to do, but sometimes you're met with a response such as 'yeah, we are sorry' when clearly they aren't.

2. Shadow boxing. Like, seriously, you can't do that at home? It's not impacting me but I find it to be questionable.

3. Gym fees going up because they improved the lighting and sound system to give it a nightclub feel. I want to rock up at 3:30 in the afternoon with my headphones in and pay what I always have, especially considering the equipment has only improved marginally over the past 12 years.

This you should report to the staff so that the member who allowed unsupervised children into the gym, do not treat it as a child care facility.

No issue if kids come to a gym, but FFS they need to be respectful and any parent or child carer should know better.
We have "No children" on the large rules posters.

This you should report to the staff so that the member who allowed unsupervised children into the gym, do not treat it as a child care facility.

No issue if kids come to a gym, but FFS they need to be respectful and any parent or child carer should know better.

It was reported pronto to staff.
Was bemused that their parents allowed them to do that. They obviously thought it was a play centre.

1. People who work out in pairs, resulting in the resting party sitting on other gym equipment in between sets. Yes, saying 'Hey are you using this?' sounds like an easy thing to do, but sometimes you're met with a response such as 'yeah, we are sorry' when clearly they aren't.

2. Shadow boxing. Like, seriously, you can't do that at home? It's not impacting me but I find it to be questionable.

3. Gym fees going up because they improved the lighting and sound system to give it a nightclub feel. I want to rock up at 3:30 in the afternoon with my headphones in and pay what I always have, especially considering the equipment has only improved marginally over the past 12 years.

I don't think gyms operate in an inflationary vacuum mate. Even if equipment hasn't been updated, you have staff wages, equipment maintenance, cleaning contractors, class and security license fees, rent, sundry inputs, etc all increase in price. An owner, like any other business operator, is trying to maintain their profit margin at the very least.

I don't think gyms operate in an inflationary vacuum mate. Even if equipment hasn't been updated, you have staff wages, equipment maintenance, cleaning contractors, class and security license fees, rent, sundry inputs, etc all increase in price. An owner, like any other business operator, is trying to maintain their profit margin at the very least.

All of this is true, however at the gym I attend, the major reason given to a price rise of $20 per month was the 'modern lighting and sound system'.

All of this is true, however at the gym I attend, the major reason given to a price rise of $20 per month was the 'modern lighting and sound system'.
I think this is a good example of very poor marketing.

Theyd have been better of talking about inflation and cost of living than lighting and a sound system (which most gym goers wouldnt give a s**t about).

Im with you on the gripe though.

I think this is a good example of very poor marketing.

Theyd have been better of talking about inflation and cost of living than lighting and a sound system (which most gym goers wouldnt give a s**t about).

Im with you on the gripe though.
$20 a month sounds a little excessive.

Ours went up around maybe 10% recently which is fair enough but I think even they need to be careful when it's a low socioeconomic area where a lot of people are short on money.

edit - just looking direct debit for example is $73 a month instead of $68 which is 6.5%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been intrigued by this newer guy at my gym. He does a lot of the standard lifts, but puts just a bit of a tweak on them. I’m not sure if he’s trying to reinvent the wheel, or if he’s nursing an injury, or just what the hell he’s doing. Things like a basic barbell bench press, but he’ll do it on the floor. Barbell back squat, but he uses the safety bar with resistance bands around them. Does this weird calf raises exercise using the sled pushy thing, barbell rows using the trap bar deadlift. Anyway, nothing wrong with any of this if he wants to do it, but obviously it catches your eye. But the annoying thing he does is every single session, after 2 exercises, he just leaves for 30 minutes. Like gets up, goes outside the gym and doesn’t come back for 30 minutes. Again that’s fine, but he leaves his s**t everywhere still. My gym has been busy in the new year, there’s only a couple of squat racks, and he’s just left his towel, weights on the bar, drink bottle on the floor, brings over a bench to sit on between sets with his glasses and case on it. And he’s just left that for 30 minutes there. I just don’t even know how you can have the audacity to do that. I want to follow him to see what he’s doing for 30 minutes. My friends think he’s going for a smoke, I think he grabs a quick feed from the local café. Anyway, I’ll give him a week before I reckon someone desperate to do some squats will abuse the s**t out of him when they realise he’s been gone for 30 minutes.

I’ve been intrigued by this newer guy at my gym. He does a lot of the standard lifts, but puts just a bit of a tweak on them. I’m not sure if he’s trying to reinvent the wheel, or if he’s nursing an injury, or just what the hell he’s doing. Things like a basic barbell bench press, but he’ll do it on the floor. Barbell back squat, but he uses the safety bar with resistance bands around them. Does this weird calf raises exercise using the sled pushy thing, barbell rows using the trap bar deadlift. Anyway, nothing wrong with any of this if he wants to do it, but obviously it catches your eye. But the annoying thing he does is every single session, after 2 exercises, he just leaves for 30 minutes. Like gets up, goes outside the gym and doesn’t come back for 30 minutes. Again that’s fine, but he leaves his s**t everywhere still. My gym has been busy in the new year, there’s only a couple of squat racks, and he’s just left his towel, weights on the bar, drink bottle on the floor, brings over a bench to sit on between sets with his glasses and case on it. And he’s just left that for 30 minutes there. I just don’t even know how you can have the audacity to do that. I want to follow him to see what he’s doing for 30 minutes. My friends think he’s going for a smoke, I think he grabs a quick feed from the local café. Anyway, I’ll give him a week before I reckon someone desperate to do some squats will abuse the s**t out of him when they realise he’s been gone for 30 minutes.
Just follow him once... for the story to post here only :p

Also, if somebody leaves their s**t on equipment and literally leaves the gym, I wouldn't hesitate to move their s**t to then use that equipment.

Is he athletic at all? Floor Press is fairly common in an athletic setting for folks nursing shoulder injuries, and is also a typical powerlifting training movement. Likewise, safety bar Squats would be a movement someone with shoulder injuries or 'penis' elbow would do, and once again used regularly by powerlifters too.

And yeah, turf his s**t to the side if he pisses off for minutes on end.

During holidays, I thought I'd use the fitness passport to check out a couple of different gyms. At one joint, a bloke walked into the place in nurses scrubs. There's a hospital up the road so not too unusual. But then he comes out of changeroom with 4 hospital issued towels and puts one each on the hack squat machine, the chest supported incline row, the lat pulldown machine, and a flat bench near the dumbbell rack which he's propped up one end with 3x 10kg plates to turn it into a decline, and also claims 2 sets of DBs putting them on the floor beside the bench. All the 4 stations are in different parts of the gym.

He then does a circuit of the 4 exercises for the next half hour. If I wanted to use any of the equipment he was hogging, I would've just turfed his towel.

Is he athletic at all? Floor Press is fairly common in an athletic setting for folks nursing shoulder injuries, and is also a typical powerlifting training movement. Likewise, safety bar Squats would be a movement someone with shoulder injuries or 'penis' elbow would do, and once again used regularly by powerlifters too.

And yeah, turf his s**t to the side if he pisses off for minutes on end.

During holidays, I thought I'd use the fitness passport to check out a couple of different gyms. At one joint, a bloke walked into the place in nurses scrubs. There's a hospital up the road so not too unusual. But then he comes out of changeroom with 4 hospital issued towels and puts one each on the hack squat machine, the chest supported incline row, the lat pulldown machine, and a flat bench near the dumbbell rack which he's propped up one end with 3x 10kg plates to turn it into a decline, and also claims 2 sets of DBs putting them on the floor beside the bench. All the 4 stations are in different parts of the gym.

He then does a circuit of the 4 exercises for the next half hour. If I wanted to use any of the equipment he was hogging, I would've just turfed his towel.
Nah he's not athletic. Without being too rude to my man, he would be the furthest thing from it. He looks so much like Moss from the IT crowd but just with slightly shorter hair. I would be very surprised if I asked him what he does for work and it wasn't involving some sort of tech.

And even then, if he was nursing some sort of injury, his whole body would be injured. I can't even explain half the weird s**t he does with that sled trolley because I just don't know if there are words out there to properly illustrate the satanic ritual he's performing. I am a worse man since having to see it.

Anyway, I've been programming hack squats recently so I haven't needed to use any of the squat racks that he's performing this baboonery in. I just see it all from afar. I'm at a commercial gym where most people, especially currently, are novice lifters who would rather not confront anyone. But I'll probably follow him next time just because it is scratching my curiosity of where the * is he going. Because it's every single time, doesn't matter what day or when, 3pm on a Sunday he goes, 6pm on a Monday he goes, it's just whack. I'll talk to the gym staff if he keeps doing it during busy periods, because that's just straight up unacceptable.

Some dude who I've seen a few times at the gym brought his partner along today, she seemed like she hadn't done a lot of weights training before. So bro tries to set her up on the leg curl machine and she does a couple of reps, he finds issue with her form so he gives her a bit of mansplaining how to do it properly, she does another few sets, he throws her off the machine to show her how he does it, she tries again and still must have done something he didn't like so he just starts tearing shreds off her about it. Really strange, eventually she just walks back over to the treadmills and I think she left without him. Awkward as *.

FWIW, her form seemed fine and it's kinda hard to * up on the leg curl machine anyway.

Some dude who I've seen a few times at the gym brought his partner along today, she seemed like she hadn't done a lot of weights training before. So bro tries to set her up on the leg curl machine and she does a couple of reps, he finds issue with her form so he gives her a bit of mansplaining how to do it properly, she does another few sets, he throws her off the machine to show her how he does it, she tries again and still must have done something he didn't like so he just starts tearing shreds off her about it. Really strange, eventually she just walks back over to the treadmills and I think she left without him. Awkward as *.

FWIW, her form seemed fine and it's kinda hard to * up on the leg curl machine anyway.
Season 3 Baseball GIF by The Simpsons

What a ****ing tosser.

This see you next Tuesday I've seen a few times lately who seems to love training in doorways or slightly to the side of them

If someone does eventually bump into him, hopefully it's some flog on tren that'll rip right into him

Attention seeker?

Some muppet yesterday decided to move the incline bench from its usual home to the smiff machine but couldn't be arsed putting it back for everyone else.
It was a test, congratulations you passed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back