Is AFL Free-to-Air Broadcasting getting worse each year?

Remove this Banner Ad

The NRL deal is, quite frankly, a joke compared to the AFL one and there are plenty of league types bitterly disappointed in the latest rights deal

The two Friday night games are back to back - normally one is live however if both are in Sydney/Melbourne and daylight savings is in place, they still may not start on TV until 7.30 and thus they are both delayed. There was the ridiculous situation this year where the Thursday night opener started at 7.30pm in Sydney and was shown on an hour delay into Brisbane

There is also one game replayed at 4pm on Sunday and that's it. Saturdays (the entirety, day & night), the Sunday night and Monday night games are exclusive to Foxtel
really, most of the NRL folk i talk to, cant shut up about how much money they got for the broad cast deal

Canberra in the mid to late 2000's:
Friday Night - 2hr delay. Decreased to a 1hr delay a year before the latest Broadcasting Rights deal was signed off
Saturday Afternoon - Live
Saturday Night - 3-4hr delay unless Sydney were playing.
Sunday Afternoon - Live half the time, delayed by 1/2hr the other half of the time.

Needless to say having a minimum 4 Live games FTA per week (sometimes we get 5) is a significant improvement.

Canberra in the mid to late 2000's:
Friday Night - 2hr delay. Decreased to a 1hr delay a year before the latest Broadcasting Rights deal was signed off
Saturday Afternoon - Live
Saturday Night - 3-4hr delay unless Sydney were playing.
Sunday Afternoon - Live half the time, delayed by 1/2hr the other half of the time.

Needless to say having a minimum 4 Live games FTA per week (sometimes we get 5) is a significant improvement.

I seem to remember Canberra showing Friday night live? Maybe that was only for Swans games.

I seem to remember Canberra showing Friday night live? Maybe that was only for Swans games.
Swans never played Friday Night during the mid to late 2000s. Really, it wasn't until about 2010 when until we got the delay down to 1hr.

The inclusion of Mick Molloy on the Saturday night coverage was a poor choice. Huge fan of Molloy in his Late Show and Martin/Molloy days, but he's a bit past it now.

Did anyone notice on the weekend a tendency for Channel 7 commentators to refer to Bruce McAvaney as "Macca".

Noticed Tim Watston and Leigh Matthews do it and it sounded forced, fake and completely anti-McAvaney. He's Bruce. He has no nickname.

Did anyone notice on the weekend a tendency for Channel 7 commentators to refer to Bruce McAvaney as "Macca".

Noticed Tim Watston and Leigh Matthews do it and it sounded forced, fake and completely anti-McAvaney. He's Bruce. He has no nickname.
That's been happening for a while, but what is recent is that at least on Talkin' Footy, they call Tim Watson "Watto" :rolleyes:

That's been happening for a while, but what is recent is that at least on Talkin' Footy, they call Tim Watson "Watto" :rolleyes:

"Let's go with nicknames, fellas. Aussies love nicknames! Luke - you're "Darce". Tim - "Watto". Wayne... what nickname do you want? "Duck" or "King"? The choice is yours. But lads, let's refrain from actual names, ok? Alright... show time!!".

Was disappointed when the last deal was announced - we used to get four live games a week, now it's three and one delayed. Thankfully, the Saturday afternoon coverage is so poor on 7 that I don't mind missing it in order to keep up with the 2.10pm starter on radio.

Was disappointed when the last deal was announced - we used to get four live games a week, now it's three and one delayed. Thankfully, the Saturday afternoon coverage is so poor on 7 that I don't mind missing it in order to keep up with the 2.10pm starter on radio.

Why is the Saturday arvo FTA game delayed? If it is to protect local footy, why not just push the start time to 3pm to ensure it goes LIVE?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back