Is being racist, 'Un-Australian' ?

Is it Un-Australian to be racist?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it is, the country was built on multiculturism, despite what the white supremacists like to think. You just have to look at the Gold Rush days & the huge Chinese population we had, then came the Italians, Greeks, Dutch, Vietnamese etc. etc.

so italians, greeks and dutch arent white?

What was the non anglo celtic % of the population pre ww2?

Yes it is, the country was built on multiculturism, despite what the white supremacists like to think. You just have to look at the Gold Rush days & the huge Chinese population we had, then came the Italians, Greeks, Dutch, Vietnamese etc. etc.

We are a multicultural country & it's only been the last 10 years or so, that this stupid Nationalism & racism has become so bad , hmmm, wonder what the link is?

Huh? Australia was a predominately white Anglo-Saxon country until the post-WWII migration and even then it took decades for the newcomers to be totally accepted. As for the Chinese, yes they've been here for years and in reasonable numbers, but they were not treated particularly well and it's a massive stretch to say the 'building' of Australia was heavily reliant on them.

As for this thread, what does 'un-Australian' even mean?
One of the big problems, as mentioned a few times already, is for people to understand what 'racist' means, which clearly most people don't.

i think in contemporary australia the true definition of racism is not relevant. i believe the definition of racism in australia today is "the fear of someone that's different to oneself", which is cause by culture differences, knowledge and understanding, the media and a whole bunch of other things.

on that basis, unfortunately that makes me a racist. but i can improve this situation by continuously learning and finding out about others from backgrounds different to mine.

i think in contemporary australia the true definition of racism is not relevant. i believe the definition of racism in australia today is "the fear of someone that's different to oneself", which is cause by culture differences, knowledge and understanding, the media and a whole bunch of other things.
That does seem to be what people think racism is, but it's not correct.

My definition of racism is the exploitation, hatred, discrimination or denigration of another based purely on their race.
that would have to be about the best definition for it, i dont know whether fear has anything to do with racism, but im no expert

My definition of racism is the exploitation, hatred, discrimination or denigration of another based purely on their race.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term describes ‘the theory that distinctive human characteristics and abilities are determined by race’.

on that definition racism is rational, who wouldnt believe that races have distinctive characteristics?

you only have to listen to the football re aboriginal skills, "magic", etc.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term describes ‘the theory that distinctive human characteristics and abilities are determined by race’.

on that definition racism is rational, who wouldnt believe that races have distinctive characteristics?

Apparently it's okay to differentiate if:
(i) it's favourable towards non-whites, or
(ii) it's negative towards whites.

Apparently it's okay to differentiate if:
(i) it's favourable towards non-whites, or
(ii) it's negative towards whites.

bit like the US with discussion over racism re whites and Obama whilst ignoring black voting preferences.

reminds me of this from London

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132544&highlight=racism+london+council

"Black teachers should be paid more than their white counterparts to encourage more to do the job, the head of the commission for racial equality believes. .... He also warned teachers unions that the CRE would launch a probe into racism unless "attitudes" improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is a racist and what is racism??? or is it the case that you don't know?

The Egyptians using other peoples for their slaves because they thought them inferior.

The Romans imposing thier culture on other people because they thought other culture were barbaric.

The English doing the same.

All racist empires who were mighty indeed.

Racism is not only confined to the Anglo's of Australia ....Trust me !
All of you may not believe this , but some people of either Asian , African or Arab descent actually don't like the Anglo's of this country for the simple reason of them being different .
Racism sucks , but it will always be around .

People are taught to be racists.
It has nothing to do with being Australian, so it cant be un-Australian.

Australians can be as ignorant as any other race.

Who, if they were walking down the street, saw 3 unknown aboriginal men walking towards them, would feel as comfortable as they would if 3 unknown white guys walking towards them. If most of you (c'mon admit it) would feel more on edge with the aboriginal men, does that make you a racist?

Who, if they were walking down the street, saw 3 unknown aboriginal men walking towards them, would feel as comfortable as they would if 3 unknown white guys walking towards them. If most of you (c'mon admit it) would feel more on edge with the aboriginal men, does that make you a racist?

Depends on where the street is.

If it was in an area that's not dodgy I'd not even give it a second thought if a couple of aboriginal guys walked past me.

If it was in a dodgy area I reckon i'd not take my eyes off the 3 white guys passing me by and i'd be keeping a backwards glance once they'd passed.

Yes - that is racist. Its one of my pet hates watching the footy. Cyril Rioli spins out of a tackle and kicks a goal and the commentator says (cue condescending tone) 'you can't teach that. Pure magic. Those aboriginal boys really have great instincts'. 5 minutes later, Alan Didak does the same thing 'what an incredible goal by Didak'. For some reason, race is only relevant when its an aboriginal player.

Racism isn't rational at all in that regard. A reasoned response to the ability of some aboriginal players to play 'creative' football might look at the conditions of football in the NT (hard grounds reward tackling or players who can evade tackles, also teach players to pick the ball up off the bounce). Or, it might look at the foundational aboriginal players; the Krakour brothers, Winmar, etc - and their status as role models that aboriginal players want to emulate. Plenty of possibilities other than inherent playing style.

Racism is probably ingrained to some extent - stemming from a natural fear of the unknown. Luckily, though, most of us are smart enough to accept and recognise our own racism and act to minimise the occasions on which we act upon it.

Most people I know are racist in some way shape or form, just about everyone is, just no one has the balls to say what they're really thinking for fear of being called a racist. :thumbsu:

If Edmund Barton, Alfred Deakin and many other founding fathers had their way we'd all be living in a white utopia by now. The Chinese and Kanakas would have been deported, and the aboriginals would have been extinct.

Back