Is it too soon to say i told you so?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing, it's not trolling to post this thread when we have been arse kicking the under 18's over the pre-season and in round one but when reality strikes, "don't mention the war"

Don't worry STO we will see an enormous improvement in skills, tackling and game plan next week.

Batter up.............

Except for the most part hardly anyone worth mentioning agreed with the threads premise.

But yeah, lets build the narrative that everyone was getting ahead of themselves.

In 2011 we wouldve lost the game by close to 15 goals. Ie. the Melbourne Game.

Yesterday we got it back to less than 10.

If tippett did what he is paid to do and not spud it up like he often does, we wouldve been within 4 goals.

We are leaps and bounds ahead of last year even in the Hawks game. We still won the contested possesion and if we were as polished as the Hawks and took our chances it would have been a lot closer or a win. In no way was yesterday a flogging. Hawks DE was up at 80% ours struggled to make 70%. You do that against a team like the Hawks you are always going to struggle.
Once the game plan is better understood by all players and our skills improve then we will be a lot better again....... this will take time.
In no way is it easy to swallow an almost 10 goal defeat but I also liked a lot of what I saw out there.
Patience is the key here.

In 2011 we wouldve lost the game by close to 15 goals. Ie. the Melbourne Game.

Yesterday we got it back to less than 10.

If tippett did what he is paid to do and not spud it up like he often does, we wouldve been within 4 goals.

He kicked 3.3.

6.0 makes it a 7 goal loss genius.

Cool, Hes still to blame. he kicks them the team gets a huge boost in moral rather then drop there heads when he misses a soda.

I'd rather have a forward who kicks 3.3 and makes his presence felt in the game than a lazy sod who kicks 0.2 and goes missing against quality opposition.

Tippett always puts in an effort no matter what, whether the ball is coming to him easy or he has to work for it.

Same can not be said for an other certain forward.

Tippett is not the reason we lost yesterday. Our disposal, decision making and pressure is why we lost. Also the fact we were playing a side obviously on another level.

Cool, Hes still to blame. he kicks them the team gets a huge boost in moral rather then drop there heads when he misses a soda.

He misses too many shots, its not good and needs work.

As far as contested marking goes, he's probably the best we've ever had. No one else yesterday could have won enough ball to have 6 shots. He often takes two or three defenders (because hes a spud :rolleyes: ), and he gives a contest when he doesnt mark it, which gives blokes like callinan opportunities.

Wayward kicking or not, hes just about our most important player.

As far as contested marking goes, he's probably the best we've ever had. No one else yesterday could have won enough ball to have 6 shots. He often takes two or three defenders (because hes a spud :rolleyes: ), and he gives a contest when he doesnt mark it, which gives blokes like callinan opportunities.

Incorrect in the games he missed last year the team performed much better. Ill see if i can fid those stats for you.

None of this matters if you can't finish.

None of it.

A forward is only as good as his finishing.

Write that one down 100 times if you have to, until it sinks in.

None of this matters if you can't finish.

None of it.

A forward is only as good as his finishing.

Write that one down 100 times if you have to, until it sinks in.

I guess the league is filled with spud forwards then. Whats Buddys accuracy like? Kennedy?

Id also argue that finishing is pretty useless if you cant get the pill in the first place.

Some stats from 2011: Courtesy of gopower

Crow scores over 100 with Tippett in the side: 2/18 (both against the Gold Coast, with Tippett barely touching it in one game and getting pushed out of the forward line before getting put back to downhill ski over GC's carcass in the other).
Crow scores over 100 without Tippett in the side: 3/4 (the only failure to score 100+ was against 2nd placed Geelong.

Crow wins with Tippett in the side: 4/18 (again, two against GC).
Crow wins without Tippett in the side: 3/4 (again, only failed to beat Geelong).

Matthew Wright, Jack Gunston, Ricky Henderson had all performed significantly better without Tippett than with him in the round before Tippett came back against the GC.
And Taylor Walker kicked more goals from 13 games than Tippett did in 18, averaging 3.75 goals without Tippett in the side and 2.0 with Tippett in the side (Walker had a higher average alone when played on his own than the combined average of Walker and Tippett when Kurt was in the side).

Also pete, how are the forwards you rate (callinan and tex) converting?

(*waits for pete to bail on the topic)

98 goals 68 points Taylor Walker
156 Goals 112 Points Kurt Tippet

Silly to compare Callinan as he is a goal sneak often kicking goals from odd angles. Wouldnt bet he was better than 50/50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're discussing this in the other thread. So I'll quote what I said there.

What you're missing is when and from where he misses them. That's what I'm interested in, not a fluffed up conversion statistic.

That one at the start of the third quarter yesterday from 20 meters was an absolute team killer. A crucial stage of the game, and from almost point blank range.

It might just be one shot on his stats sheet, but misses like that demoralise the entire team and can change the course of a game.

I'm not interested in conversion rates, they tell us next to nothing. Do you realise Tredrea had a higher conversion rate that Mark Ricciuto?

Of the two, who would you rather have kicking for your life?

You can't look at me with a straight face and tell me Buddy Franklin doesn't kick the big ones.

You can't. You won't.

We're discussing this in the other thread. So I'll quote what I said there.

I'm not interested in conversion rates, they tell us next to nothing. Do you realise Tredrea had a higher conversion rate that Mark Ricciuto?

Of the two, who would you rather have kicking for your life?

You can't look at me with a straight face and tell me Buddy Franklin doesn't kick the big ones.

You can't. You won't.

Most stupid comment ever. For a start Roo played most of his career as a midfielder. I'd like to know the conversion rate say in the last 3 years or so when Roo was more a full time forward.

Second you seem to forget a 2009 Semi Final against the Pies when the game was on the line Tippett kicked a monster 50m goal on the boundary to put us in front with only a minute or so to go. The difference is Tippett hasn't been put in those situations as often as Buddy.

Tippett has 58% conversion rate and Buddy has 58% conversion rate. You accept a slightly lower rate because players excel in different areas. As in Buddy can do the spectacular and assy stuff and Tippett is probably in the top 3 contested marks in the game.

The conversion rate is one of the critical stats for a forward. Whoever denies this must be a muppett.

Most stupid comment ever. For a start Roo played most of his career as a midfielder. I'd like to know the conversion rate say in the last 3 years or so when Roo was more a full time forward.

Second you seem to forget a 2009 Semi Final against the Pies when the game was on the line Tippett kicked a monster 50m goal on the boundary to put us in front with only a minute or so to go. The difference is Tippett hasn't been put in those situations as often as Buddy.

Tippett has 58% conversion rate and Buddy has 58% conversion rate. You accept a slightly lower rate because players excel in different areas. As in Buddy can do the spectacular and assy stuff and Tippett is probably in the top 3 contested marks in the game.

The conversion rate is one of the critical stats for a forward. Whoever denies this must be a muppett.

Stop it, your making sense.

Incorrect in the games he missed last year the team performed much better. Ill see if i can fid those stats for you.

So far in 3 games in 2012 we have kicked 100 twice out of the 3 with tippett in the side.

Its all about the game style. We are moving the ball quicker and hence getting Tippett in more 1 on 1 situations which he can take advantage of, instead of bombing it on his head and having him fight off 2-3 defenders.

So far in 3 games in 2012 we have kicked 100 twice out of the 3 with tippett in the side.

Its all about the game style. We are moving the ball quicker and hence getting Tippett in more 1 on 1 situations which he can take advantage of, instead of bombing it on his head and having him fight off 2-3 defenders.

Not surprisingly at all the one game we lost was when Tippett played close to goal.

The forward line functioned a lot better when he was pushed up the ground and having Walker play inside 50.

I'm going to address Heafy's post when i get time, but before I do, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to provide me with the career conversion rates of the following players.

Lloyd
Richardson
Carey
Tredrea
Modra
Ablett Snr
Lockett
Dunstall
Riewoldt
Brown
Pavlich
Hall
Franklin
Sumich
Lynch
Neitz

I'm going to address Heafy's post when i get time, but before I do, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to provide me with the career conversion rates of the following players.

Lloyd
Richardson
Carey
Tredrea
Modra
Ablett Snr
Lockett
Dunstall
Riewoldt
Brown
Pavlich
Hall
Franklin
Sumich
Lynch
Neitz

Why bother? You said you werent interested a moment ago, and when the results surprise you, you'll just twist it and rank the players based on the slippery pete scale of I says so.

Not surprisingly at all the one game we lost was when Tippett played close to goal.

The forward line functioned a lot better when he was pushed up the ground and having Walker play inside 50.

Mate if we didn't have Tippett it would have been a 15 goal flogging. A lot of those shot for goal he got were a result of contested marks that no one else in our side can make on a consistent basis.

Tippett played most of the first half close to goal. Sanderson saw an advantage and took it. He smashed Schoenmakers. In the second half Gibson played more on Tippett. Tippett only had 1 shot on goal in the second half. He also pushed more up the ground in the 2nd half and what do you know......... it's the half we really slipped up and let the game go.

One could say you could add to Tipps credentials as he has not only performed against lower clubs but also against as what some would consider the best in the league.

I think your trying to find faults that are not there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back