Is modern day footy better than classic footy?

Which era was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 90s was the best era of footy. Skill level was not far off today’s skills but they weren’t as fit so we had more positional play. Plus u had more Biffo and as a bonus my club was very strong that decade. Also had a few of the all time great forwards playing and lets face it they are the best to watch. No one goes to the footy to watch a defender!

“The skills of today’s players just put most of the guys I played with well and truly in the shadows.”

so today's players are on another level compared to when he played, yet he also says the current premiership side Richmond is no where near as good as juggernauts of the past like Brisbane :drunk:

Bloke can't make up his mind

“The skills of today’s players just put most of the guys I played with well and truly in the shadows.”

so today's players are on another level compared to when he played, yet he also says the current premiership side Richmond is no where near as good as juggernauts of the past like Brisbane :drunk:

Bloke can't make up his mind
That’s ole mate #scottyfrommarkerting for ya!

It's not better than 90s footy. The game was professional enough to be high scoring and skillful, but not so professional that the coaches figured out how to ruin it. It was the perfect blend in that short ten year window, but now it's over.

The real question is why we keep hearing Chris Scott's opinions on everything.

It's not better than 90s footy. The game was professional enough to be high scoring and skillful, but not so professional that the coaches figured out how to ruin it. It was the perfect blend in that short ten year window, but now it's over.

The real question is why we keep hearing Chris Scott's opinions on everything.
After sacrificing some of his pay he has to make a buck somewhere.

Chris Scott Home & Away Game Win %

vs

% of Times We Despise Chris Scott when he Opens his Mouth

86qLqaUq_400x400.png

Last edited:
Everyone knows the 90's was the best era, had the best players doing the best things best players do.
If you weren't any good in the 90's you never will be and never was.
Footy peaked in 1964. It's been downhill ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett

vs

Jack Riewoldt, Travis Cloke & Chad Wingard.

The fact I need to announce the second group by their full name says it all.

vs

No mention of the bloke that kicked zero goals and got torn a newie by Chip Frawley in the 2015 GF, I am Shocked to be sitting here. o_O

Modern footy feels terrible because we subconsciously compare the best of past eras to the worst of today, then are shocked when it comes off second best.

As a Hawthorn support its hard for me not to nominate the 80s as the best ever for obvious reasons. The biggest change is 14 teams then vs 18 now. Eliminate four from today's AFL (bye Norf) and distribute their best players among the rest and theoretically everyone has 1-2 more elite players and less spuds.

Except distribution of talent wouldn't be even throughout the league (never is) so you'd end up with obscenely strong teams at the top, pretty much exactly what we had in the 80s. It just so happens epic contests between star studded teams are precisely what the league has lacked since Hawthorn & Geelong stopped contesting with each other, now we have mediocre outfits like Richmond winning flags (Jack Graham Premiership player?) and every list contains holes.

Modern tactics are rubbish for sure. However you can have tense low scoring games that are compelling.... when the league doesn't feel watered down.

vs

Jack is as far in front of Twavis and Chad as those three legends are in front of Jack, duel Coleman currently 26th all time goal kicker and 4th at Richmond.

Travis is 73 on the list of goal kickers and Chad I couldn't be f@cked looking.

Back