Opinion Is our window closing?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think so, but like The Royal Sampler said, I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea of premiership windows. We have some elite top end talent in Grundy, Pendlebury, Sidey, Moore, De Goey, with other really strong guys like Bruz, Crisp, and Adams. We also have a lot of young talent in Stephenson, Daicos, and IQ.

However, it's in our bottom 6 where we get really exposed. We need to cull the Josh Thomas' and the Tom Phillips' of the team if we want a legit crack at a premiership. I think it's within reason, but I'm not sure Bucks is the guy to get us over the top.

The premiership window is a theory, and not even a scientific one.

Our list needs an upgrade or 2 but we have the cattle to win it. The club ought to be reviewing our performances this year and to be prepared to make the tough calls.

No. Our old players that have 1-2 years left (Mayne/Varcoe/Greenwood/Reid/Dunn) are pretty ineffectual now anyway. Our gun older players (Pendles/Sidebottom/Howe) have a good 3+ years left. Moore/JDG/Maynard coming into their prime. Crisp/Adams/Treloar/Grundy in their prime. We just need a good game plan (e.g. attacking, fast moving) to make use of our talented list and we're good. Our game plan has gone backwards

ans to OP = YES

closed and locked:

- age of list - no of players on plateau or downhill
- youngsters coming through?
- draft next year - who knows because juniors (NAB League?) not playing + have we still got high picks traded away to forgo?
- etc etc
- FMD - watch Carlton win one before we do :(

1596533616529.png

Last edited:
I think when a team has a particular competitiveness and edge that's when they are a contender. I can pinpoint that ours started recently vs Adelaide in 2018 and died vs West coast in 2020. Sounds harsh but that's life and I'm not delusional like a lot of supporters here.

No. Our old players that have 1-2 years left (Mayne/Varcoe/Greenwood/Reid/Dunn) are pretty ineffectual now anyway. Our gun older players (Pendles/Sidebottom/Howe) have a good 3+ years left. Moore/JDG/Maynard coming into their prime. Crisp/Adams/Treloar/Grundy in their prime. We just need a good game plan (e.g. attacking, fast moving) to make use of our talented list and we're good. Our game plan has gone backwards

and a Forward Line

People always sensationalise individual results.

Mid year last year we lost to Freo by a kick at the G, were embarrassed by North and the Giants and lost to Hawthorn.

It is just about getting on a roll at the right time of the year. Our best form is good enough, but can’t really blame players form having form fluctuations this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is our Premiership window still open?

I posted this thread in January, and I don't want to come off as a Nostradamus but I think I'm close to the mark with the OP.

Given that the things to avoid (as well as undisciplined off field melodrama) have happened. Personally I think our window has been slammed shut, bolted and welded with armed guards either side.

ans to OP = YES

closed and locked:

- age of list - no of players on plateau or downhill
- youngsters coming through?
- draft next year - who knows because juniors (NAB League?) not playing + have we still got high picks traded away to forgo?
- etc etc
- FMD - watch Carlton win one before we do :(

View attachment 927428

Blasphemy!!

Given that we will more than likely lose our next three games because of short breaks, traveling from state to state and
to many stars out of our side,i think this year we are done,but i still think with a decent run of injuries and a few good trade
ins we have maybe a season or two where we could be a challenger.

Given that we will more than likely lose our next three games because of short breaks, traveling from state to state and
to many stars out of our side,i think this year we are done,but i still think with a decent run of injuries and a few good trade
ins we have maybe a season or two where we could be a challenger.

Contender or pretender like we are currently, and have been since post 2017?

I don’t believe in premiership windows, but with a few changes I think we can compete for a flag, so make of that what you will.

I think they are a pretty real thing as in teams hit the right spot for age, physical + game development, talent and understanding of role.

Teams tend to hit a 3 -5 year window in list builds that allow for being a real contender.

All teams go through phases of a list build.

Down phase after being a consistant top 4 to 6 finalist start being midling team 8th to 12th.
Bottom out phase 12th to 18th.
Rebound phase back to middle road 12th to 8th.
Pretender phase 8th to 5th.
Contender phase top team. (Window open).
Go back to Down phase or attempt to extend it with trades.

Sure there is the odd outlier but premiership window is a phase of most list builds.

I think so, but like The Royal Sampler said, I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea of premiership windows. We have some elite top end talent in Grundy, Pendlebury, Sidey, Moore, De Goey, with other really strong guys like Bruz, Crisp, and Adams. We also have a lot of young talent in Stephenson, Daicos, and IQ.

However, it's in our bottom 6 where we get really exposed. We need to cull the Josh Thomas' and the Tom Phillips' of the team if we want a legit crack at a premiership. I think it's within reason, but I'm not sure Bucks is the guy to get us over the top.

Every ressonably successful list build goes through a "premiership window", its just a term used for when the list is in the sweet spot and a contender.
Obviously as the team ages guns retire/slow, lack of talent comes through or your system breaks down you start entering the down phase. Its cyclic.
Only thing that can prolong a window is trading savvy but then you might doom yourself to perrenial middle of the road side and s pretender team like geelong and norf has been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back