Is political correctness stifling debate?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one example that popped up on the first page of Google.

Light or dark skinned is a much simpler description, but the whole point of describing someone to aid identifying them is to be specific as possible. Man or woman is even simpler. Human simpler than that. Mammal simpler still.

A lot of Indian, Sri Lankan and Pakistani people look similar because the countries are right next to one another and people have moved about and bred over the course of history. Saying the bloke you saw looked 'probably Indian or Pakistani' or 'a bit like Kumar Sangakkara' is bit more useful than 'dark skinned'. But that's "racist".
No, it's not more helpful, which is why police in many countries don't use it. If you say someone looks Indian or Pakistani, a potential witness might think, 'well I don't know, are they Indian or Pakistani, or Sri Lankan or maybe Afghan...oh, I don't know, I won't waste police time because I'm not sure'. When it comes to police descriptions, they want to keep it simple yet effective. But when there is no doubt, they still use terms like Aboriginal, Caucasian etc.

There's no PC gone mad here, it's the police trying to get the most out of their descriptions.

Southpark drew Mohammad years before hebdo and it was fine. Hebdo drew Mohammad as a suicide bomber. I can see why they got offended.

If you mean by being censored and threatened with a fatwa against them as fine. The last point you made is very concerning. It leads to excuses for extremists and blaming the victims which was a common and accepted view after the attacks

If you mean by being censored and threatened with a fatwa against them as fine. The last point you made is very concerning. It leads to excuses for extremists and blaming the victims which was a common and accepted view after the attacks
Southpark drew Mohammad as part of the super friends years before that censorship thing happened.

Southpark drew Mohammad as part of the super friends years before that censorship thing happened.

That was censored too by Comedy Central themselves, quite irrelevant to my point though which is this, do you allow a religious minority to dictate your limits of free speech through fear and intimidation and threats of violence. Perhaps we should tell them to grow up and stop being stupid and insecure about their primitive barbaric religion. Anyway this is the wrong thread for this so I will leave it there.

do you allow a religious minority to dictate your limits of free speech through fear and intimidation and threats of violence.
We don't.

Perhaps we should tell them to grow up and stop being stupid and insecure about their primitive barbaric religion.
This is the part where your bigoted statement gets called a bigoted statement, and you lament political correctness.

The PCgonemad brigade often make claims about our culture being destroyed by political correctness or which ever minority is de rigueur at the time, but they can never point to how it is being destroyed. We still celebrate Christmas and Easter, we still go to the beach or the pub with our friends, we still enjoy days out at the footy, music, film, TV etc. How are we less 'Australia' than before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that this thread attracts those who have presented a fairly positive opinion on Anders Brevik, Hitler and has contained one master race reference.

Kinda backs up my point that the #politicalcorrectnessgonemad rabble is little more than a motley crew of bigots who havent got the plums to say what they really want to say.

Interesting that this thread attracts those who have presented a fairly positive opinion on Anders Brevik, Hitler and has contained one master race reference.

Kinda backs up my point that the #politicalcorrectnessgonemad rabble is little more than a motley crew of bigots who havent got the plums to say what they really want to say.

I say what I want to say.

It is your mob that is petrified of offending anyone that isn't a white male.

Cowards!

As a starting point in my political thinking, Id want to disagree with Hitler and Anders Brevik. If I started nodding along to their bile, I d seriously re-evaluate why I thought these things.

Am I being politically correct for find nothing positive about the positions of a nazi terrorist and a genocidal maniac? You might, but I dont.

???

Like I said, if this is what is said, you have to wonder what some of the anti-PCers really want to say.

In your head do you think you've actually contributed something in replying to my post? Critical thinking isn't really your thing, is it?

How exactly has your speech been stifled on this issue?

What you want is for people to say whatever they want without someone else
criticizing for it.

Work it out.

Group of people move to a country. Large number of rapes occur, directly attributable to the group of new people.

No one wants to talk about it for fear of being branded rapist. Yep, no stifling at all.

Of course your response will be 'oh but you can say whatever you want... but people like me are going to call you a racist, bigot etc' which is the whole ******* problem in the first place - because people can't say ANYTHING without people like you derailing the debate.

In your head do you think you've actually contributed something in replying to my post? Critical thinking isn't really your thing, is it?
You said some of things Hitler said were good, and the man who hated political correctness and murdered 77 people as a result had some positive points.

At the core of anti-PC is a pretty ordinary part of human nature.

Group of people move to a country. Large number of rapes occur, directly attributable to the group of new people.

No one wants to talk about it for fear of being branded rapist. Yep, no stifling at all.
Nobody wants to talk about? Governments have changed policies. The media is all over it. Australians have made t-shirts about it.

Most of what Ive read is about concern for the women effected.

But that's not what you and your crew want to talk about. When you say 'nobody wants to talk about it', what you're saying is that very few people find the far rights opinion worth hearing that you want to hear. Especially the explicitly nationalist and neo-nazi groups.

You said some of things Hitler said were good, and the man who hated political correctness and murdered 77 people as a result had some positive points.

At the core of anti-PC is a pretty ordinary part of human nature.

Again, zero substance.

What I actually said is that there was nothing wrong with the quote you posted from Anders Breivik. You know he has probably done thousands of normal, non-murdery things in his lifetime. If he said his favourite coffee was cappuccino am I a sympathiser because I like the same?

Nobody wants to talk about? Governments have changed policies. The media is all over it. Australians have made t-shirts about it.

Most of what Ive read is about concern for the women effected.

But that's not what you and your crew want to talk about. When you say 'nobody wants to talk about it', what you're saying is that very few people find the far rights opinion worth hearing that you want to hear. Especially the explicitly nationalist and neo-nazi groups.

The MO of "your crew" is to paint anything other than a narrow, naive view as far right.

Kidding yourself if you think the issue is being talked about freely.

Anyway I'm bored with you. You're part of the problem that you don't think exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back