Society/Culture Is the United States the world's greatest country?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, just to say just strength, size, influence is rather simplistic. Greatest also relates to what it has made, discovered and produced. American contribution to science and technological advancement is immense. Of the world's top 500 largest companies, a 140 come from the US, it's contribution to the arts, literature, the entertainment industry over the last century or 2 is enourmous, in fact I think it would difficult to pick many spheres where the yanks do not lead or dominate. To me that is greatness.

Agree with many of your points above.

Re the Fortune 500 companies, I still see this as a product of population. Where there are economies of scale, you will find the biggest, the best and the most talented.

China is very quickly closing the gap in terms of the sheer number of large corporations.

I don't see China dominating in many of these areas in the next 100 years like America has in the last century.

I do. Maybe more so towards the latter half of the century than right now, but I believe it will happen.

Also in terms of standard of living or great place to live, I'd suggest the top 50% of American's live better or have a higher standard of living than the top 50% of Australians. If your in that upper echelon, is America a better place to live?

Always hard to stratify and compare data, but generally agree that the top earners in the US do better than the top earners in Australia. I think it will be difficult for the US to make much improvement in this area if future though. Much of their industry is non-competitive, and I only see this worsening.

Greatest entertainment industry on earth if you look past the stereotypes.

Indeed. The number of excellent television series and films made each year is top notch. Can just sometimes be overshadowed by the volume of s**t (which all countries produce - just more in America because they make more stuff overall).

I personally think it's the best place in the world if you're willing to work hard and want to get ahead. It's true that the income disparity is wide - there are some very impoverished areas, urban and rural. Part of that comes down to the general American attitude that even the poorest of the poor can make something of themselves, so outside of charity there is not a lot done to improve the lot of the poor. Frankly the US probably couldn't afford it beyond some very small measures.

But that is the biggest problem - forget about health care, that is fine for the vast majority of people, and like any system has its problems, but works quite well for most.

It's treated me well, so I am happy to live here. I don't really understand why people say they wouldn't want to live here - there is plenty of opportunity for people with initiative and smarts, the quality of living is very high and once you're out of the cities, it is a very beautiful country in many places. And the Americans aren't so bad once you get used to them!

NO. Also the best movies & music don't come from America. Their clothing sucks, the best fashion comes from other countries, OH & they don't play Aussie Rules as their main sport, end thread.

NO. Also the best movies & music don't come from America. Their clothing sucks, the best fashion comes from other countries, OH & they don't play Aussie Rules as their main sport, end thread.

I bet there isn't a genre of music you enjoy that didn't originate, or at least come into its own, in America.

America has a lot of faults but it HAS produced some of the best cultural innovations the world has ever seen, although admittedly you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gems.

Agreed. For all its faults, there is also a lot to like about America and it is a great place for many. Lots of opportunities, lots of interesting culture and entertainment, and some great history.

Is it the greatest? Probably not as I don't think there is any one best. But it's certainly in the top echelon, along with a number of countries in western Europe.

Another thing that people like to bash America for culturally is their supposed mangling of the English language, but what they don't realise is that when America was first settled the world spoke Elizabethan english and a great deal of modern english developed on the western side of the Atlantic, modern english is in a very real sense American english.

I bet there isn't a genre of music you enjoy that didn't originate, or at least come into its own, in America.

America has a lot of faults but it HAS produced some of the best cultural innovations the world has ever seen, although admittedly you have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gems.

This is another false claim, the 60's music revolution started in Britain, The Beatles, The Mersey Beat, the Americans copied them. That's why all the Aussie bands at that time went to Britain, because it was the centre of modern music.

It annoys me when people try & re-write history.

NO. Also the best movies & music don't come from America.

Isn't rock 'n roll American? And isn't that the most dominant and popular form of music over the last 55 years?

Jazz if American. So is Blues, country and western. In fact, is there any modern form of music that DIDN'T come out of America?

And as for movies? Well, that's a no brainer. You ask 100 people to name their top ten favourite movies and I'll bet at least 8 out of 10 on every list are American movies.

Think of all the great movies that have ever been made. I'll bet the VAST majority of the ones that spring to mind were made in America.

And television is no different.

This is another false claim, the 60's music revolution started in Britain, The Beatles, The Mersey Beat, the Americans copied them. That's why all the Aussie bands at that time went to Britain, because it was the centre of modern music.

It annoys me when people try & re-write history.

Lulwut?

The Brits were playing straight up rock n roll. Who do you think they were imitating??? It's not like The Beatles were doing covers of Chuck Berry or anything back when they were performing in The Cavern. And the Rolling Stones, where the heck do you think they got their name from?

You depth of ignorance is as hilarious as it is astounding! :D :eek:

Baroque/Classical/Romantic???

But yes, jazz, blues and then rock and roll were practically born from America. The 'British invasion' is nothing compared what American did for current popular music.

Having said that, Iceland's music scene(currently) is far superior per capita. The amount of fantastic, original music that comes out of a small, geographically isolated country is just amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baroque/Classical/Romantic???

But yes, jazz, blues and then rock and roll were practically born from America. The 'British invasion' is nothing compared what American did for current popular music.

Having said that, Iceland's music scene(currently) is far superior per capita. The amount of fantastic, original music that comes out of a small, geographically isolated country is just amazing.

WOW, I didn't want to mention that because I thought others would laugh. :thumbsu:

OH & folk music came from britain centuries ago with the roving minstrels.

Jazz & blues actually originated from the African Americans & their struggle with slavery & discrimination, plus soul & gospel was also from them, which would have come from their original country.

WOW, I didn't want to mention that because I thought others would laugh. :thumbsu:

OH & folk music came from britain centuries ago with the roving minstrels.

Jazz & blues actually originated from the African Americans & their struggle with slavery & discrimination, plus soul & gospel was also from them, which would have come from their original country.
Mmm, you're drawing a long bow there and at danger of verging into semantics. I think this sums it up well;

Its(Jazz) West African pedigree is evident in its use of blue notes, improvisation, polyrhythms, syncopation, and the swung note[2] but one of jazz's iconic figures Art Blakey has been quoted as saying, "No America, no jazz. I’ve seen people try to connect it to other countries, for instance to Africa, but it doesn’t have a damn thing to do with Africa".[3]

so the best country in the world is determined by who makes the best tv shows and invents the best music?

what stupid reasoning. even worse than your list.

better yet, why don't you rank the countries from 1 to whatever?

If you actually read the thread you'd realise people like Bit_pattern have already said they aren't the greatest country but they had great entertainment.

If you actually read the thread you'd realise people like Bit_pattern have already said they aren't the greatest country but they had great entertainment.
1. I did
2. I know that
3. If you actually read my post....
You'd realise that it was a criticism of Dan26 for spitting out the same, stupid logic to reason his argument.

Oh and Dan, I'm still waiting for your view of the greatest Premier League champion of all time (since 92/93).

Can you admit the truth there? (I doubt it)

Greatest country for anyone with homicidal tendencies... best legal access to lethal weapons in the western world!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Not true. It formed in America. They took elements of their various home countries (which were all quite different) and blended with the new country, certainly well after they arrived in America, often generations later. Gospel was created in America as the slaves were not Christians before then. They really are American creations.

Probably the world's most powerful country. Definitely NOT the greatest!

Australia shits all over the US.

Quality of life
Healthcare
Average Age (Australians on average live longer)
Crime rates
Quality of life in America is fine and certainly comparable to here.

Healthcare is a major problem in terms of cost. But Americans do gain on the cost side in many other areas, so it's probably break even.

Average age amongst middle class is probably much the same.

Crime rates are higher overall, but it also depends where you live. Not something that affects most average Americans.

Even though these points are arguable, there's certainly nothing above to suggest that Australia shits all over America, especially when you consider the positive aspects of America, which haven't been mentioned yet in this comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back