Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, I really can't believe this. I bet a slab against two Village Cinema Gold Class movie tickets with a collegue at the start of the season that we would make the eight. I called it before round one and had people bagging me out and basically laughing at me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW!

Relax, you won’t need it again. I have a theory that the loss to Carlton has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It has galvanised the group and they seem to be playing with more aggression. Our guys know they can match it with the best, but they equally know that they have dropped games when they haven’t backed themselves in. I actually think they are looking forward to some tougher assignments to show people what they are made of.
I stand by this post!

Un-bloody-believable. What an absolute joy it is to wake up in the early mornings to watch this. A completely changed side. I’m just waiting for us to concede our usual 5-6 goals in a row to the opposition but this is a such a skilful and mature team.

It’s been a hell of a wait. Dropping off a cliff after our superstars retired, being ravaged by injuries for years, putting up with incompetent administrators, trading in questionable players, seeing our best talent be targeted and pilfered for bugger all, watching 90 point defeats with approx. 14 thousand at the Gabba.

We’re no longer a laughing stock and I bloody love it. Fair play to all who have stuck fat throughout the dark days.

The lid has well and truly been blasted off over here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, I really can't believe this. I bet a slab against two Village Cinema Gold Class movie tickets with a collegue at the start of the season that we would make the eight. I called it before round one and had people bagging me out and basically laughing at me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW!

Shine a black light on those recliners and it might dent that smile a bit.

We’re only halfway through the season. Look at the fixture. I have us finishing around 10th - 12th. A good result.
What the * would I know?

Lid is still on for me, but admit the possibilities have certainly broadened.
Last week I told a few people "Let's see how they go against Port before getting excited".
A few tough games to come yet, with a few teams coming good at the right time.
A week to week proposition with a young side that may or may not turn up and exhaustion waiting to hit us, but anything can happen and we've exceeded all expectations.
Just enjoying the games we turn up for, and the last 2 have been exceptional.

Is that a bandwagon going over that lidless manhole?
The Lions bandwagon on the way to September-
DescriptiveJollyLadybird-size_restricted.gif

Sadly not yet off here.

Part of me is waiting for us to go into a game with high expectations and pressure to perform (eg Pies and Dons earlier this year) and not be fazed by the occasion ... which will come knocking vs Richmond at the G and every game of the finals.

Another part of me is a bit pragmatic. Won today - YAY - ok enjoyed that now let's focus on the next game ... and there is always a 'next game' even if we win the GF we have a next game in a whole new realm of being the hunted etc.

I suppose I am equating 'lid off' with 'the job's done', 'nothing to fear' etc and 'lid offness' might lead to carelessness, arrogance and an inevitable return to liddishness.

Realism? Pessimism? Pragmatic optimism? Wierdly wired brain that can't see a lid off right in front of him?

Lid staying firmly on until we win the flag. Ten years of the 'crappiest crap that ever crapped' play has warped me.
This thread may turn out to be THERAPEUTIC!

Lid staying firmly on until we win the flag. Ten years of the 'crappiest crap that ever crapped' play has warped me.

Crappiest crap was port yesterday according to their board.

Though why they expected to beat a top four team this late in the season is beyond my reasoning.

Back