Review Round 6, 2023 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

BRISBANE LIONS

That’s three straight wins for the Lions in which they’ve kicked at least 100 points in each game. This one didn’t come easy though, with the Giants putting up a strong fight for almost the entire game on Saturday. But Brisbane just had a bit too much firepower up forward, which helped the team respond to every Giants challenge.

In the votes
A career-best night for Charlie Cameron, who was at his devastating best against the Giants. He booted 7.2 from 15 disposals, 12 score involvements and six marks in a performance that ultimately broke the Giants. First-year young gun Will Ashcroft was all class at the coalface with one goal from 19 disposals, while Lachie Neale and Josh Dunkley provided strong support. Jack Gunston was a constant threat up forward Jack Payne solid in defence and Joe Daniher played with ample presence up the field.

Room for improvement
Despite the result, the Lions lost contested ball comfortably and were down on the Giants in the overall disposal count. If they’d been playing against a more established and experienced team, the result might’ve been closer — or even flipped.

Grade

A-

Despite the result, the Lions lost contested ball comfortably and were down on the Giants in the overall disposal count. If they’d been playing against a more established and experienced team, the result might’ve been closer — or even flipped.

Grade

A-
Like a Collingwood or Melbourne side?

Funnily enough someone said to me at work this morning that we won't win this year because of Collingwood. Not only did we beat them but it's also based off of beating Essendon who the jury is still out on at the moment. Being 2nd on the ladder 5 rounds in means relatively nothing unless you have played a bunch of sure fire top 8 sides already.

BRISBANE LIONS

That’s three straight wins for the Lions in which they’ve kicked at least 100 points in each game. This one didn’t come easy though, with the Giants putting up a strong fight for almost the entire game on Saturday. But Brisbane just had a bit too much firepower up forward, which helped the team respond to every Giants challenge.

In the votes
A career-best night for Charlie Cameron, who was at his devastating best against the Giants. He booted 7.2 from 15 disposals, 12 score involvements and six marks in a performance that ultimately broke the Giants. First-year young gun Will Ashcroft was all class at the coalface with one goal from 19 disposals, while Lachie Neale and Josh Dunkley provided strong support. Jack Gunston was a constant threat up forward Jack Payne solid in defence and Joe Daniher played with ample presence up the field.

Room for improvement

Grade

A-

We lost the contested possession count 157 to 149. I'd call that 'barely' rather than 'comfortably'; strong chance the writer mixed up the stats for contested and uncontested possession.

Surely if Charlie keeps near the standard he has for the last couple of years the AA selection 'panel' whoever they are won't ignore him again.

Clearly been the best small forward in the game by a considerable margin.
Likewise many of my friends who are passionate about other teams tell me Charlie is the most watchable player in the game and they tune in to our games sometimes just to see what he does.

If he played for Carlton or Collingwood you'd never hear the end of it.

I can't believe Neale's been questioned tonight by that ratbag Jordan Lewis regarding him allegedly putting his own head into the ground during the Ward tackle. Also thought it was really poor form from Gary to allege it during the broadcast right after it happened, Neale's legs were clearly wrapped up & tangled in Wardy's. Its the most classless discussion I've heard from the football media all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe Neale's been questioned tonight by that ratbag Jordan Lewis regarding him allegedly putting his own head into the ground during the Ward tackle. Also thought it was really poor form from Gary to allege it during the broadcast right after it happened, Neale's legs were clearly wrapped up & tangled in Wardy's. Its the most classless discussion I've heard from the football media all year.
They wouldn't dare allege that against Pendlebury or Cripps.

Never heard so much BS as people have come up with on this. Seeing Ward slung him like he did what on earth does it matter what Lachie did or didn't do. Ward had him strung up. Lachie couldn't get his hands or arms free. Whether someone's limp or struggling to get free but even more so if they're limp if you sling them to the ground in that fashion when they clearly have no protection for their head you pay the consequences.

It's become apparent to me that the talking heads on Fox Footy really dislike the Lions for reasons unknown.

Never heard so much BS as people have come up with on this. Seeing Ward slung him like he did what on earth does it matter what Lachie did or didn't do. Ward had him strung up. Lachie couldn't get his hands or arms free. Whether someone's limp or struggling to get free but even more so if they're limp if you sling them to the ground in that fashion when they clearly have no protection for their head you pay the consequences.

It's become apparent to me that the talking heads on Fox Footy really dislike the Lions for reasons unknown.
I think he managed to get 1 arm free to avoid greater impact if I recall, and of course main thing is he got up unscathed.

Yeah some of them seem more eager to criticize our club than others atm & in this case even baselessly accuse us of unsportsmanlike conduct.

On your last point, which i don't disagree with, but the lovefest of the Pies all sections of the media is getting beyond ridiculous. I mean its always been there, but its epic proportions now and I'm not even talking about Daicos. Its about everything; any prominent free agent or potential player that is gettable, its all about how and why he'd suit Collingwood and not anyone else.

That Gettable afl.com.au vlog with those 2 draft nerds are so far up Collingwood its nauseating and again they've gone with why Collingwood is the best destination.

What I want to understand, particulalry as Eddie is no longer there, is why the talking head AFL media pander to and brown nose Collingwood and its players and its fans in the way that they rarely do about other teams and certainly not intestate teams.

On your last point, which i don't disagree with, but the lovefest of the Pies all sections of the media is getting beyond ridiculous. I mean its always been there, but its epic proportions now and I'm not even talking about Daicos. Its about everything; any prominent free agent or potential player that is gettable, its all about how and why he'd suit Collingwood and not anyone else.

That Gettable afl.com.au vlog with those 2 draft nerds are so far up Collingwood its nauseating and again they've gone with why Collingwood is the best destination.

What I want to understand, particulalry as Eddie is no longer there, is why the talking head AFL media pander to and brown nose Collingwood and its players and its fans in the way that they rarely do about other teams and certainly not intestate teams.
There were 90k plus there yesterday and I just think it's keeping themselves popular by going with the crowd.

Former players have told me once you put on that black and white jumper you can get just about anything you want from fans , groupies and assorted followers , a privilege some have used injudiciously as we've seen.

The AFL love it . It's good for footy isn't it.

They'll get big heads this year. Just get the feeling they'll get found out later in the year.

I attempted to watch one of those stupid little shows on AFL.com ages ago, they're all 🤮🤮🤮

At least on Fox Footy most of them have real and informed opinions, no matter how far fetched some of them are, eg Gary, who I think probably just shot his mouth off before seeing the replay.

Funnily enough someone said to me at work this morning that we won't win this year because of Collingwood. Not only did we beat them but it's also based off of beating Essendon who the jury is still out on at the moment. Being 2nd on the ladder 5 rounds in means relatively nothing unless you have played a bunch of sure fire top 8 sides already.
Did you spit on him?

Back