Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

You are correct that West Coast sides often remain inconsistently good post a premiership and then don't really contend. I think the answer is that you have to be better to win as a non MCG tennant Vic club and even better as an Interstate club. To win a Premiership from Perth top 2 is generally needed so any years below that are really hard. An MCG side could finish lower and not leave Melbourne and play a GF against a non MCG tennant or higher ranked Interstate club at home.

Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne= hard
WB, North, St K, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong= harder
Sydney & GWS= harder still
Bris, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Port= even harder
West Coast & Freo= exceptionally difficult (even when finishing top 2 if against an MCG tennant)

The counter is that we are more able to make top 2 as we have true home ground advantage against 16 sides (not Freo) where MCG tennants have home ground advantage against 15 sides (not Rich, Coll, Haw & Mel).

You are correct that West Coast sides often remain inconsistently good post a premiership and then don't really contend. I think the answer is that you have to be better to win as a non MCG tennant Vic club and even better as an Interstate club. To win a Premiership from Perth top 2 is generally needed so any years below that are really hard. An MCG side could finish lower and not leave Melbourne and play a GF against a non MCG tennant or higher ranked Interstate club at home.

West Coast & Freo= exceptionally difficult (even when finishing top 2 if against an MCG tennant)

The counter is that we are more able to make top 2 as we have true home ground advantage against 16 sides (not Freo) where MCG tennants have home ground advantage against 15 sides (not Rich, Coll, Haw & Mel).

Simmo got the timing right in 2018, the loss to the Lions speared the plan in 2019.
Arguably the Dogs well deserved win has changed the plan managing the work of the available available players. Not different to other clubs, winning buys time to plan for the finals.
For once the G is not imposed on any club IF good enough.

When he retires he’ll have at least one flag and a truckload or goals so definitely a great career, but I don’t think he’ll get rid of his propensity to do the inexplicable in pressure moments.

Missing a gift set shot in the last quarter is bad but not unforgivable, but he’s had a few poor moments against us (I remember the AFL bizarrely put him pulling out of a contest in the highlights package for the ‘16 Elimination Final).

For what it’s worth, I was at the ‘18 GF and can well remember the collective groan from Eagles fans when he dropped that mark. It’s almost like they expected it.

Could have been an all time Eagles great but he’ll always in part be remembered for the howlers, a bit like Stynes, Richo and Kernahan (though he’s not quite in that class).
Weird guy.

Can be absolutely clutch, but have inexplicable brain fades. It seems he tries to rush sometimes when under pressure, which causes wild kicks, dropped marks etc. on the occasional bad moment.

Really needed to get those last night. Well at least one. A game they just had to win to be legit anywhere anytime. Seems to be a pattern with West Coast premiership sides that still remain good without making the top 4 and challenging.
Nah that's bs. To be legit anywhere anytime was put to bed in 2018. Darling should have got at least 1-2 goals that game against the dogs but with all their absentees and to only lose by under a kick was a job well done. The Doggies should and could have had us the week before after coughing up a 7 goal lead. West Coast with just two of their bigger names in would have crucified the Bulldogs and would have solidified a top 4 position.

Darling - should stand up more in big games or clutch moments, yes.
WCE - Not an anywhere antime team? Wrong.

He was brilliant last night. I've been one of his harshest critics but also an advocate at times and this is one of them. He stood up in key moments and was a major part in keeping West Coast in the game and almost dragging them over the line.

Well done Jacky boy.

He's still in his prime and the impending decline/retirement of Kennedy means this is the opportunity to dominate the competition - well, even moreso than the first half of 2018 and 2019 when he was in All Australian form. Oscar Allen has definitely proven himself as a second/third string tall forward, so we're covered in that department at least.

He is a player who generally dominates but for some weird reason dropped 2 sitters in grand finals
His Grand Final was weird.

Horrible first half, became prime Wayne Carey in the third quarter. OK last quarter, until he almost cost West Coast the game.

Felt like we got everything Darling could offer over the space of those 4 quarters.

Be a good player if he stops accentuating Minimal contact

You would never see any of the old school traditional forwards squirm at getting a fist to the face let along a finger

He won All Australian last year so I'm not sure why some still insist he isn't a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In case you haven’t noticed, they just hand out AA’s to the flavors of the month

Yeah, the one given to Jack Steele was an odd one imo.

Must be tough to see a good, hard tough midfielder make it after your captain could only duck his way to 14 disposals in a final.

My point still stands, good lead, good mark, good kick - just soft as butter

1538213565254_GPP1RR4CP.1-2.jpg

1601809738627.jpeg

Uh huh. To think you got knocked out by Collingwood on the G even after you finished higher

Hang on...

I see Darling as a guy who has never really developed past a certain point. He had a lot of potential, reached a certain point and kind of stopped at that point. He's the type of guy that is a good 2nd or 3rd forward. I don't like his chances of being the number 1 forward when Kennedy retires. I don't think he has it in him to consistently perform against the number 1 defender of opposition teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back