Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I've been one of his biggest critics. Granted I did believe he was due for a big road game today, at the G where it needed to be done. And holy **** did he do it. Ironically against the Hawks who he '' choked '' against in the Granny in 2015. He stood up today during crunch times and nailed a tough shot given the wet conditions and circumstances when the Eagles were on the ropes in the 4th where the game was on the line.

Delivered in a big way so props to the big lad after all the **** he's endured.

Apologies big Jacky boy. You finally proved me and many doubters wrong in a big way. Props to you.
He generally has been under-rated. His body of work is good. Plays really good in patches. However you only need a few moments as a KPF to effect a game. Certainly did that against us today.

Also his GF last year was under rated. He had a great third. People just remember him dropping it with about 2m To spare

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
He is one of the games most divisive players with limited respect amongst opposition supporters. Not sure why

It seems to be when he makes a mistake, it's catastrophic. Dropped a soda in the 2015 GF at a critical point of the game, did it again in last year's GF. That being said the positives outweigh the negatives by a fair margin - I'd have him in a heartbeat at Hawthorn.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It seems to be when he makes a mistake, it's catastrophic. Dropped a soda in the 2015 GF at a critical point of the game, did it again in last year's GF. That being said the positives outweigh the negatives by a fair margin - I'd have him in a heartbeat at Hawthorn.
Yep i agree he can do those sort of things, but he is a good player any team would want a forward who regularly kicks 40 to 50 goals a season.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our offer to him will be getting larger by the day.

He’s worth more than Coniglio and he’s getting 1.4m per season deals thrown at him. I hope we are considering a similar sized deal.

We won’t get him but geez he’s well rounded. Contested marks, on the lead, tackling, ground ball all well above average in all facets.

He is one of the games most divisive players with limited respect amongst opposition supporters. Not sure why

Even amongst Eagles fans it's the same thing. He's had to play second fiddle to Kennedy for the majority of his career, so it can limit your own opportunities at times.

Reality is though he consistently gets 40+ goals a season playing as the secondary key forward, which isn't as common as people seem to think.

jwint43

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our offer to him will be getting larger by the day.

He’s worth more than Coniglio and he’s getting 1.4m per season deals thrown at him. I hope we are considering a similar sized deal.

We won’t get him but geez he’s well rounded. Contested marks, on the lead, tackling, ground ball all well above average in all facets.

He’ll stay, very settled in Perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He’ll stay, very settled in Perth
Agreed (is his contract even coming up for renewal anyway? First I've heard of it).

West Coast rarely even loses interstate players back to their home cities. Darling is a WA boy and they've never yet had a WA boy lured away, that I can recall (with the odd exception of those that couldn't get a regular game, of course).

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Even amongst Eagles fans it's the same thing. He's had to play second fiddle to Kennedy for the majority of his career, so it can limit your own opportunities at times.

Reality is though he consistently gets 40+ goals a season playing as the secondary key forward, which isn't as common as people seem to think.

Agree most teams would take him in a heart beat. My main issue with Darling is just his consistency and how sometimes he doesn’t look to be hungry for the ball. I am sure that’s not the case and it’s just perception but Kennedy for instance had a quiet game yesterday, but he still looked to be working his ass off.

He is an awesome second tall forward though.

Not so much in here - in game day threads. They’re always the first to jump on him.

Who cares? No amount of criticism by Freo fans - or any fans - will take away his premiership medal. And it's not like he was a passenger either in 2018.

Who cares? No amount of criticism by Freo fans - or any fans - will take away his premiership medal. And it's not like he was a passenger either in 2018.
I don't. Was just pointing out that they often initiate the criticism.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah this, very good player who has a knack for producing the unforgettable mistakes.

Back