Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

the sinking i love you GIF

“The Hawthorn Football Club has recently been made aware of Jack Gunston’s request for a trade.

“The club will now assess this request.

“However, we are engaged in other trade discussions that remain our priority. These longer term priorities may preclude any discussions with Brisbane progressing.”
I think today is Gunston camp trying to sure this up. Word been around for a couple of weeks on this with our enthusiasm and I wonder if we now have the wobbles with available list spots should chol, smith or ginnivan come off. Unusual timing today and then following club statement. Interesting times.

Jack turns 32 in 2 days.
If we could get 2 years and perhaps 30 games from him, it would be well worth it to have him back.

I'm not sure how his body is. He has had his challenges this year.

I'd love him back personally, but ultimately I feel the club will be asking the question: will he be part of our next campaign to win a flag? If the answer is no, I don't think it will happen.

I'd love him back personally, but ultimately I feel the club will be asking the question: will he be part of our next campaign to win a flag? If the answer is no, I don't think it will happen.
I discussed this my cousin earlier about the possibility of Jack coming back. My view was that he could be useful in passing on his knowledge to the new, younger forwards like DGB or Ramsden.

My guess is that his body will only have a couple of seasons left of AFL standard productivity which I think will be a perfect timing to pass on the baton to the other forwards.

Last edited:
I discussed this my cousin earlier about the possibility of Jack coming back. My view was that he could be useful in passing on his knowledge to the new, younger forwards like DGB or Ramsden.

My guess is that his body will only have a couple of seasons left of AFL standard productivity which I think will be a perfect timing to pass on the baton to the other forwards.
That sounds good in theory but seems like more of a coaching role to me. I love the romance of it, and like i said, I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat, but given the direction we're taking i feel it could set us back by him taking the place of another player, ie DGB or Ramsden, we could be developing through game time. In reality I'd pick Gunston to play over Chol every day of the week, hence i feel like it would also stunt Chol's development. So while my heart says yes, the fact we won't be challenging for a few years yet, I'm not sure it will work out.

That sounds good in theory but seems like more of a coaching role to me. I love the romance of it, and like i said, I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat, but given the direction we're taking i feel it could set us back by him taking the place of another player, ie DGB or Ramsden, we could be developing through game time. In reality I'd pick Gunston to play over Chol every day of the week, hence i feel like it would also stunt Chol's development. So while my heart says yes, the fact we won't be challenging for a few years yet, I'm not sure it will work out.

Agree would rather play the kids.

agree, would be glad to see him back in a coaching role, not as a player though. We need to move forward

What was the answer with Dew? Dew showed very little sign of those 5 mins in 2008 during the season.

Brisbane LOL. Why the hell did you recruit him?

Alternately, Gunners was 200 plus games of the ‘over 1000’ hawthorn were widely criticised over 2022 trading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not everyone will be on the park at the same time though. There might be injuries to certain players (fingers crossed nothing serious) at different times. You saw throughout the year that different talls were being thrown forward to try out different strategies or find the right mix to optimise forward output.

Ramsden, DGB may still be too green next year to hold a permanent spot just yet. There are varying scenarios that I think Gunston could still contribute without stunting the kids' AFL growth.

Remember, Gunston was also used as a stop gap/ utility effectively at different points in his career.

Last edited:
Richie Vandenberg was part of our campaign to win 2008. It's not just about playing in the year its also about how you ensure those around you grow and flourish.

He’s currently overseas with Sic, Punk etc.
It’ll get done.
Sam wants him.
Ferg or Jack… no contest.
For a stock standard 31 year old you might not want to give up a list spot

Bit gunners is a rare talent and fantastic clubman, it makes sense.

Even in 2022 when he was pretty banged up he could still kick a 5 goal bag here and there through his nous and skills which very few players in the AFL these days are capable of doing.

Gunners for a future 5th. Plays in VFL most of the year as a playing coach to support the development of Ramsden, DGB, Chol, etc. I wouldn't love the idea of him getting games ahead of those three, but think he would be a great asset to have around the club.
We managed to get pick 48 (which became Bailey McDonald at pick 51) and a future 4th from Brisbane last year.

Handing over somewhere between a third and fourth rounder seems reasonable to get him back.

Frankly I think he would walk back into our front 6 (if his back and knee hold up) and he would play all AFL games.

We managed to get pick 48 (which became Bailey McDonald at pick 51) and a future 4th from Brisbane last year.

Handing over somewhere between a third and fourth rounder seems reasonable to get him back.

Frankly I think he would walk back into our front 6 (if his back and knee hold up) and he would play all AFL games.
Don't think we want him to play all games tbh. Need games into young fellas who will be in our next flag.

Don't think we want him to play all games tbh. Need games into young fellas who will be in our next flag.
It will be no different to any other team decision. If Gunston is performing well he will play, if he's struggling he will either rest or play VFL. The kids are the same, they won't be gifted games.

It's all beside the point, whether playing seniors or not, Gunston being on the list and at training is going to be a massive help to the function and cohesion of our forward line, and to the development of the youngsters.

Make no mistake though, they wouldn't be looking at Gunston in an on field capacity unless they felt he would be playing the majority of the season.

If he makes our forward-line better than the next young kid, he plays in my book.

Our forward-line is very very ordinary, and there’s hardly a long line of young guns waiting to step up at the moment.

He would provide more structure and take a good defender to run with him as he will be respected. Will help open up opportunities for others during the games.

If he makes our forward-line better than the next young kid, he plays in my book.

Our forward-line is very very ordinary, and there’s hardly a long line of young guns waiting to step up at the moment.

He would provide more structure and take a good defender to run with him as he will be respected. Will help open up opportunities for others during the games.
How would you feel about Buddy coming back for a year or two?

The bolded is a big if. I don't see it getting better - worse if anything.

I would prefer ongoing short term pain to develop the youngsters than overly invest in Gunston at the cost of longer term development. I don't think he'll play in our next premiership, so we should invest in those that will.

The bolded is a big if. I don't see it getting better - worse if anything.

I would prefer ongoing short term pain to develop the youngsters than overly invest in Gunston at the cost of longer term development. I don't think he'll play in our next premiership, so we should invest in those that will.
Not much different to Chad then, except Gunston could be available to play 2024 from round 1.

He was the only player we traded / retired who left from our 2022 forward-line.

Everyone else was a ruck/mid. Which is where the gaps really opened up.

Yet our forward line still sucked in 2023.

We wouldn’t be “overly investing” in Gunston.

His departure is one of the reasons our forward-line sucked.

Not much different to Chad then, except Gunston could be available to play 2024 from round 1.

He was the only player we traded / retired who left from our 2022 forward-line.

Everyone else was a ruck/mid. Which is where the gaps really opened up.

Yet our forward line still sucked in 2023.

We wouldn’t be “overly investing” in Gunston.

His departure is one of the reasons our forward-line sucked.
The problem isn’t how good Gunston was. It’s that his body isn’t letting him play close to that.

IMO the big reason to get him will be his ability to help lead and develop our younger forwards rather than on field preformance.

We’ll never know if he could have been a 2023 version of 2008 grand final Stuart Dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back