Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 46, Jack O'Sullivan

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like he impressed, if not dominated last night.

Great to hear that my future favourite player has some tricks!
rough GIF

Sounds like he impressed, if not dominated last night.

Great to hear that my future favourite player has some tricks!
What really impressed me last night was his attitude and belief in his ability. First year players can go into their shell at times for fear of doing the wrong thing. But he was confident in his ability and in one piece of play gathered the ball, moved through traffic with a few shimmies and than had the confidence to turn to his left and snap from 30-35 and just missed. So many others would have got the ball and disposed of it quickly. A lot to like about him

What really impressed me last night was his attitude and belief in his ability. First year players can go into their shell at times for fear of doing the wrong thing. But he was confident in his ability and in one piece of play gathered the ball, moved through traffic with a few shimmies and than had the confidence to turn to his left and snap from 30-35 and just missed. So many others would have got the ball and disposed of it quickly. A lot to like about him
That's what I loved about Serong's debut, last season - was his first game but was still confident enough to take a hanger in a 1-on-1

Loved his draft highlights and iit looks like he's gonna exceed those expectations.
He makes things happen and sounds like it's transferring into senior football.

@moderators - I'm wondering whether there's any way to update the thread titles for the "Welcome to Hawthorn" threads with the draft pick number and year? I think we used to have that in older threads and I really liked the quick/easy reference.

@moderators - I'm wondering whether there's any way to update the thread titles for the "Welcome to Hawthorn" threads with the draft pick number and year? I think we used to have that in older threads and I really liked the quick/easy reference.
Hey Tommyk72, I understand you’re wanting to know the draft pick number info in the title for quick reference… but that would influence the discussion about that player. And that info is also readily available.

Frankly the pick number should be irrelevant. Once a player wins a place on an AFL team‘s list every player is equal and only separated by their performance and the teams need for them. So for mine, it is a No to draft position on the thread name.

However… The date of first draft To the Hawks..Yes I see that as a positive step.

Hey brother, Like the kid and know him well, I cannot ever remember him playing a full season in his life, has been injured quite a lot over his junior days and if he wasn't injured he has been rested often due to soreness
Hey BnG, this is a really interesting comment. Especially the statement that you know him well... giving credence to your statement.
Are you saying that Jack is someone that WILL get injured a lot, and so will not likely play, or that the Hawks got him cheap as he has gotten injured a lot in the past? Or a bit of both?

The Hawk’s coachers have said that they have to hold Jack back. One might conclude that Jack is the type of player to go so hard at a contest that he will injure himself.

I am 100% thinking that Jack will be a quality Hawthorn player in the years to come. His game sense, quality, skills, tenacity, and athletic ability are obvious.

If you are correct BnG, and injury is Jack’s major hurdle, I hope he knows it and the Hawks take a conservative approach with a slow progression into the AFL.

Based on what I have seen of him, I suspect Jack could become one of my favourite players. Have I put my eggs in a likely injury-broken basket?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's something about this guy that tells me he's gonna be extremely good value.
Looks like a tremendous athlete, beautifully balanced/coordinated, aggressive, and dual sided too (?!!!)

I think this is not focussed enough on in this rebuild aggression the unsociable Hawks it in spades a few have gone by the 3pea but we still have a few.

I don’t think this side has no where near enough of them.

We should be trying to get a some one who is great at trading and let Mckenzie just do what his good at drafting.
To be 'great' at trading, you need to be doing business with someone who is 's**t' at trading.

There aren't any chumps at other teams, just waiting to be mesmerised by our smoke and mirrors.

I see no evidence whatsoever that we need to separate McKenzie drafting and trading roles. This trope about McKenzie being 'bad' at trading is just Bigfooty groupthink, echo-chamber horseshit

Last edited:
I think this is not focussed enough on in this rebuild aggression the unsociable Hawks it in spades a few have gone by the 3pea but we still have a few.

I don’t think this side has no where near enough of them.
Post reads like it was tweeted by a Footy journo.

#ProofReadThenPost

You may well have said this in jest but I don't necessarily agree as there's plenty of examples of win-win trades
I agree wholeheartedly.

I would have thought the deals we made were examples of win-win trades...but to some, they were proof that Mark McKenzie failed to get a 'good' trade.

Eg 29 year old Jaeger for a desperately needed mature bodied ruckman and a 2nd rounder I thought was very equitable...but some here were howling at McKenzie.

I thought the same with the Mitchell deal, but people were complaining about the not-so-good picks we got... and ignoring the 21 year old first round big-bodied mid in Cooper Stevens.

I think McKenzie is not ostensibly better or worse than any other list manager when it comes to getting beneficial deals for our club, in a ridiculously competitive environment.

Last edited:
Hey BnG, this is a really interesting comment. Especially the statement that you know him well... giving credence to your statement.
Are you saying that Jack is someone that WILL get injured a lot, and so will not likely play, or that the Hawks got him cheap as he has gotten injured a lot in the past? Or a bit of both?

The Hawk’s coachers have said that they have to hold Jack back. One might conclude that Jack is the type of player to go so hard at a contest that he will injure himself.

I am 100% thinking that Jack will be a quality Hawthorn player in the years to come. His game sense, quality, skills, tenacity, and athletic ability are obvious.

If you are correct BnG, and injury is Jack’s major hurdle, I hope he knows it and the Hawks take a conservative approach with a slow progression into the AFL.

Based on what I have seen of him, I suspect Jack could become one of my favourite players. Have I put my eggs in a likely injury-broken basket?
I was just passing on what I have known from past seasons, he has always been a quality junior player.
I think Jack has had to remodel his game as he has gotten older and his teammates have grown bigger, as a junior, he played a lot behind the ball a natural forward sharpshooter wasn't his go, so good on him for adapting his game.

I wonder if Nathan Thompson had anything to do with pushing his cause and finally getting drafted to Hawthorn as Tommo had plenty of influence at Jacks's junior club Kyneton?

To answer your question about injury, I feel if Jack keeps putting his head in where his bum fits, history might follow him.

Jack O'Sullivan (17 disposals, 2 goals, 4 tackles)

"Jack worked his backside off - he's a real energy buzzer, he gets around the ground and provides heaps of energy. He loves the pressure, loves to tackle and kicked two goals as a small forward and laid four tackles which is really pleasing and a great outcome for him. He's a great little player."

"Jack worked his backside off - he's a real energy buzzer, he gets around the ground and provides heaps of energy. He loves the pressure, loves to tackle and kicked two goals as a small forward and laid four tackles which is really pleasing and a great outcome for him. He's a great little player."

Surely one of Butler, Brockman or O'Sullivan - or maybe even two of them get a game this week, just to provide some pressure in the 50.

It wasn't non existent against the scum. We really need a lift there.

Where are these stat's from? VFL starts this week..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back