Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did he go on Saturday? I haven't had a chance to watch.
Baptism of fire for Ethan in his first "major league game". He was up against some of the best Key forwards in the competition and combined with the doggies dominance out of the middle I thought it did a reasonable job. Showed some glimpses that he could play at AFL level. I'd pick him for round 1.

How did he go on Saturday? I haven't had a chance to watch.

Thought he was reasonable without being outstanding.

Took a few strong marks and had a few good spoils.

Seemed to get to good positions but was disputed by his teammates. Time in the system will fix that.

Some moments of inexperience giving quality talls too much space.

Learning that the 50/50s in VFL that are usually overlooked are almost always paid to the forward at AFL level. I think 3 or 4 free kicks given away for a slight hand over the shoulder or on the arm while spoiling. Then again, that may just be a Bulldogs thing because Lewis doesn't get those often.

Thought he was reasonable without being outstanding.

Took a few strong marks and had a few good spoils.

Seemed to get to good positions but was disputed by his teammates. Time in the system will fix that.

Some moments of inexperience giving quality talls too much space.

Learning that the 50/50s in VFL that are usually overlooked are almost always paid to the forward at AFL level. I think 3 or 4 free kicks given away for a slight hand over the shoulder or on the arm while spoiling. Then again, that may just be a Bulldogs thing because Lewis doesn't get those often.
VandoHawk is on the money. I thought the same thing. In AFL you can barely touch the fwd but in VFL you can compete.

Ethan has to stop putting hands on shoulders and go for the mark / fist… which we know he can do.

In all measures Phillips was beaten. Not badly, he halved a few, was good in his disposal, but still beaten. Not surprising given amount of ball coming into our backline.

Some people shrink from a loss, others grow. I’m betting Ethan will learn a lot from that game.

Last edited:

Not sure when he is likely to get a chance.

However, I read he isn’t playing this week because of injury. What happened to him over the VFL break or training this week?
Training block leading into Finals?

Be thankful it's not a rolled ankle
Walking Dress GIF

HFC rolled ankle protocol

17 marks..... wow. I hope he plays in the seniors very very soon. I think he should have been given a chance already seeing how much we have needed reinforcement and replacements down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has an incredible ability to read the ball in flight and take intercept marks. I believe the reason he wasn’t drafted and hasn’t played for us is he looks slow and will be found out on bigger AFL grounds with leading forwards.

He moves a bit like Jackson Callow.

We might as well give him a go and see if he can make it at the level.

17 marks is huge, but I wonder who's spot he takes.

Is he a Key position and takes Frost's position?

Does he push out Sicily and Scrimshaw as our interceptors (one is the captain, the other is the arguably top 2 in the crimmins medal right now)

Dogs in 2 weeks could be a good game to throw him in the mix considering they sometimes play 4 talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back