Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a while since we had Lakey not only spoiling, but somehow directing his spoils to a team mate....
Nah, Lake went 1 better than that, he'd just mark it and get us into counter attack.

The shift in my mood from hoping Shoenmakers can at least get a spoil on Hawkins and not concede a mark and goal to, trusting that Lake will win the contest and we'll be sending the ball the other way.

Nah, Lake went 1 better than that, he'd just mark it and get us into counter attack.

The shift in my mood from hoping Shoenmakers can at least get a spoil on Hawkins and not concede a mark and goal to, trusting that Lake will win the contest and we'll be sending the ball the other way.
You mustn't have noticed, when Lake couldn't mark, he'd punch, and more often than not, his punch would bounce directly to a team mate. It was freakish.

You mustn't have noticed, when Lake couldn't mark, he'd punch, and more often than not, his punch would bounce directly to a team mate. It was freakish.
It's what i tried to do as a soccer goalkeeper if i was going the punch. How the fck Lake was able to do it with a non-round ball, i have no idea.

Lake was a gun player . Still gets underrated in my book .
Deceptively strong , could outmark , intercept and as noted his spoils always to advantage .

Phillips looks a natural intercept type to me. I think he will need time to adjust to his teamates way of playing and vice versa .

Deceptively strong , could outmark , intercept and as noted his spoils always to advantage .

Phillips looks a natural intercept type to me. I think he will need time to adjust to his teamates way of playing and vice versa .
There was a 12 month period when Lake was at the Dogs and at his peak where he was (in my belief) the best / most influential player in the league.

He could dominate his opponent like few others when he was fit and firing across the back line.

His ground ball defending was always underrated as well I thought. His goal line touch on Josh Hill 2015 GF was just class reading of another players body language.

It will be interesting to see how Phillips progresses though. With how scarce key backs are it surprises me he hasn’t had a chance at his age yet. I wonder what we don’t know

There was a 12 month period when Lake was at the Dogs and at his peak where he was (in my belief) the best / most influential player in the league.

He could dominate his opponent like few others when he was fit and firing across the back line.
The most enjoyable thing about Lake at the Hawks, apart from his footballing ability, was watching him put the fear of god into Tom Hawkins. He genuinely shat his pants when playing on Lakey

I could help but like Lakey’s naughty boy I didn’t mean it plea to the umps when he clearly meant it. Ha ha. Miss him. Just steadied us so much during the Threepeat
2014 grand final when he fell clumsily onto buddyafter a mark and drove the elbow into the back of the head. Knew exactly what he was doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 grand final when he fell clumsily onto buddyafter a mark and drove the elbow into the back of the head. Knew exactly what he was doing.
But the disappointment/disbelief on his face when he gave away the Free Kick was priceless.

"Where there's smoke, there's Brian" probably best sums up his time with us :tearsofjoy::heart::heart:

I'd pick Lakey at pick 1 in most drafts of the past two decades! Big call I know, but never have I seen a player so great under the high ball and all the while playing on opposition best big frwd. His finals in 2015 against the crows and eagles were boss like! Love the big bear!

The most enjoyable thing about Lake at the Hawks, apart from his footballing ability, was watching him put the fear of god into Tom Hawkins. He genuinely shat his pants when playing on Lakey
Almost as much as Drew Petrie... mind you that could have been from 'losing consciousness' - Absolutely loved Brian a rare talent, and great personality. I know he's had some issues since playing, but hope he's doing OK. Would love to see him involved with the club, imagine him mentoring Phillips :D

In that era we got some gems like Puopolo hill smith bruest with inspired drafting.

But Lake and McEvoy were absolute gifts. Thanks to those teams supporters btw

In that era we got some gems like Puopolo hill smith bruest with inspired drafting.

But Lake and McEvoy were absolute gifts. Thanks to those teams supporters btw
Was time for Lake to move on from the Bulldogs. McEvoy though, I still cannot wrap my head around that decision.

Me too, he was in their leadership group! WTF. THEN Saints doing saints.
Loved him, great all round cracker bloke.

Bigboy was a ripper. Very good footballer, excellent leader and we are lucky to have had such a great person around the footy club for almost a decade.

Bigboy was a ripper. Very good footballer, excellent leader and we are lucky to have had such a great person around the footy club for almost a decade.
The type of guy you'd want next to you in the trenches for sure. We're using a sickeningly small amount of bandages around the club these days...

I still hold the opinion that the reason Hawthorn lost 500 games in a row to Geelong was because their backs marked the ball and rebounded and our backs spoiled the ball to a 50/50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back