Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Will McCabe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy crap, a father-son first rounder....

Incredible agility and pace for a big guy, plus really neat skill and some really toughness to go with it. Will looks to have a really strong base (legs and core) which should mean he's going to fill out well to boot.

Has his old man's agility and toughness it looks like too, with the added bonus of that size. Luke's career was ruined by a David Nieitz hip and shoulder. Can't see it going the same way for Will at the 197cm.

Would never have guessed Luke was going to be the source of our most promising F/S selection ever pretty much. Kennedy obviously became a great player, at the $wine$, but out of the gate Will looks like he's going to be the business and then some.

Last edited:

Did I see that he has a younger brother or two at the draft also?

Future F/S potential?
Will might be the second or third youngest, of the 6 kids.

Apparently his sister is an eye catcher, going out with Mitch Hinge from the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome Will, I appreciate your courage and dare, keep it up and good luck.

Not sure a better description could be made.
Thing that stands out is he makes a bee line for where the ball is heading and then backs himself to attack it on the quickest route he can find, even when it's landed and bouncing with impetus. Doesn't second guess if it might go past him, or under him, has the courage and dare to believe he'll get it first go round.

What a brilliant instinct to have in the kit.

I have mentioned this earlier somewhere but I think Will is going to be a steal at 19 and in my opinion will be a better Centre half back than Curtin.
I am wrapped with both our 1st rounders!
Will be interesting to see which small forwards stand up a lot of competition there now?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is a really exciting prospect and the f/s connection makes his recruitment a great story.

He's got so much to work with.

His mobility for a 197cm player is elite, he's a real smooth mover.

Quality kick, good interceptor (crucial for defenders in today's game) and good in the air in general.

Really promising prospect. It will be interesting to see what position we try to develop him in.

Absolutely loved the chuckle Will made when the Kangas bid on him. "Yeah... Nah Shinbeggers".
He knows...

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Our next Premiership could have 3 father sons in it

Maginness
McCabe
Dear

When was the last time we had that many in our team at once.
As much as we’ve complained, there have always been a couple hanging around the ranks. In 89’ Kennedy and Maginness if I remember correctly. Did Maginness also play in 91’? If so him and Hudson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back