Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Him being tall is not the be all and end all. Lets see how he goes against the bulldogs

What I was trying to say (not very well) is that at least Phillips has the physical tools to match it with the beasts. But we all know the key to success in this game is what's above the shoulders.

I don't think we'll get a gauge on that after 1 game.

He certainly has the "McEvoy" gene, the one that makes you look like a 40 year old in your early 20s...

...or that he's just walked off the set of a World War II movie...Private Ethan "Bluey" Phillips, Kokoda track...

View attachment 1911190

There's the face of a man that's seen some things
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF

I'll call it now - Phillips MUST play in 2024.

The back 6 needs to be 'fixed' by Sam so they acn grow as a unit.

As soon as he came on today the back 6 showed STRUCTURE.

Sic and Scrim immediately had the freedom to intercept and we looked better.

Scrimshaw Phillips Amon

Impey Frost Sicily

I don't want to see Weddle in the backline ever again

I'll call it now - Phillips MUST play in 2024.

The back 6 needs to be 'fixed' by Sam so they acn grow as a unit.

As soon as he came on today the back 6 showed STRUCTURE.

Sic and Scrim immediately had the freedom to intercept and we looked better.

Scrimshaw Phillips Amon

Impey Frost Sicily

I don't want to see Weddle in the backline ever again
We may have lost the first practice match and have a few things to work on but are you sure you weren't watching more of your avatar than the game?

Hold firm, we'll get better!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it’s all said and done, Ethan Phillips will have had a far better career at Hawthorn than James Blanck. He’s a keeper.
The kid has not even played an AFL game yet.

When it’s all said and done, your post was idiotic.

Last edited:
When it’s all said and done, Ethan Phillips will have had a far better career at Hawthorn than James Blanck. He’s a keeper.
Errr...

On what basis have you managed to draw this somewhat definitive conclusion?

Thought he was solid. Did some nice things.

I think Frost will get the first crack at FB but Phillips should be next in line.
Agreed. I re-watched the 3rd quarter of the match sim with a focus on Phillips. As you say, he did some good things. The run back to intercept as the 3rd man up was his highlight. This showing his reading of the game. But less obvious was the fact that he spoiled well. I think he either won or halved all of his contests. You cannot ask for more than that from a key backman.

He also did nothing wrong. He hit his targets with his disposal and continually presented as a “get-out-of jail” option, which was occasionally used.

It was a good first audition for a place in the Hawks round 1, best 22.

Does he have the tank for 4 quarters of AFL? Who knows. But he has been doing it in the VFL for a few years and so he has a solid base from which to improve.

Well done big man. I’m looking forward to your next outing, hopefully against the Dogs in the pre-season game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back