Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Dave was a better player than fergus. He was also captain of box hill. He is the best example i could think off to illustrate my point
Totally agree.

Point being guys who play really well at VFL don’t often translate to AFL players after a certain age / level of experience.

Another one in recent times is Michael Gibbons. Dominated and won two Listons in a row then picked up by Carlton. Managed 47 games in 3 seasons, then cut at age 26.

Totally agree.

Point being guys who play really well at VFL don’t often translate to AFL players after a certain age / level of experience.

Another one in recent times is Michael Gibbons. Dominated and won two Listons in a row then picked up by Carlton. Managed 47 games in 3 seasons, then cut at age 26.
Some guys also may be given a chance at afl level, but also aren’t really given a chance to play their best role. A lot mids for example get pushed to the flanks. I think Phillips will be given a chance to play his natural role.

Totally agree.

Gibbons was an undersized mid who was played as a fwd pocket

Unless we are planning to play Phillips as a wing

Not exactly relevant

Apologies if this has already been posted. It's clear that he has great hands and reads the ball well. He's a big lad as well. Looking forward to seeing how he goes if he's picked v the Dogs on Friday.

Apologies if this has already been posted. It's clear that he has great hands and reads the ball well. He's a big lad as well. Looking forward to seeing how he goes if he's picked v the Dogs on Friday.

Forward, you say? :think:

Let's see how he goes in Defence, but I like this thinking!

Totally agree.

I think if you are young and do really well at VFL like Mitchell, Newcombe, Burton did it can translate and you find yourself in AFL pretty quick and adjusting. Those who play VFL a long time like Mirra and dominate that level with experience not with skill or athleticism will struggle with higher intensity of AFL.

Though Podsiadly is one example of a long VFL career and then not being out of place at AFL level.

I think if you are young and do really well at VFL like Mitchell, Newcombe, Burton did it can translate and you find yourself in AFL pretty quick and adjusting. Those who play VFL a long time like Mirra and dominate that level with experience not with skill or athleticism will struggle with higher intensity of AFL.

Though Podsiadly is one example of a long VFL career and then not being out of place at AFL level.
You are selling some great VFL players short. They had skill some even had athleticism, leadership character etc. Some times its just not enough for the higher level in the position they play. They just don't have something special that makes them stand out.

Try Fergus Greene - who kicked 53 goals in 2022 and plenty thought he’d be a solid inclusion into our 2023 AFL forward line.

Now he is playing for Sandhurst in the Bendigo League.
To be fair to Fergus our forward line was a red hot mess last year.

I can remember a couple of games when Lewis was injured and Kossy was out of favour where he was asked to play as our defacto Key Forward.

All187cm and 83kg of him!

He probably doesn't have the power or atheltisicm to be an AFL forward but we didn't do him any favours last year.

You are selling some great VFL players short. They had skill some even had athleticism, leadership character etc. Some times it’s just not enough for the higher level in the position they play. They just don't have something special that makes them stand out.
It’s almost always pace, unless your a Sam Mitchell or Pendles that just have a whole other gift all together

Future Norm Smith Medallist.

Jan Böhmermann Zoom GIF by ZDF Magazin Royale
is he picking his nose?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to Fergus our forward line was a red hot mess last year.

I can remember a couple of games when Lewis was injured and Kossy was out of favour where he was asked to play as our defacto Key Forward.

All187cm and 83kg of him!

He probably doesn't have the power or atheltisicm to be an AFL forward but we didn't do him any favours last year.
…but we also let him go very sharply too. He’s only 1 year older than Ethan.

I was just listening to Nathan Buckley from yesterday.
He said the reason that Mitch Lewis was so quiet in the practice match was because he was playing on Phillips.

Steady on mate VFL is far below in standard. Dave Mirra was an absolute star at VFL level. Sadly that was his level.

Lets see him play first
Mirra was 186cm and asked to pinch hit well above his weight class at AFL level.

Phillips at 198cm is a monster in comparison.

Mirra was 186cm and asked to pinch hit well above his weight class at AFL level.

Phillips at 198cm is a monster in comparison.
Him being tall is not the be all and end all. Lets see how he goes against the bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back