List Mgmt. Jack Henry contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump...And from last month

If there was a statistic for the number of times a player goes back with the flight of the footy to help out his teammates, Henry would be right up there with the best in the game.

His game awareness and athleticism allow him to cover the ground really well and he is ranked number one at the club this season for spoils and fourth for intercepts.

Query whether it's a hearing issue, not picking up on the shouts from team-mates.
Peripheral vision maybe? I remember kosi from st k was terrible with that. Got knocked out a few times by not seeing what was coming from the side.

But then again, he usually gets caught from behind. Maybe doesn’t look around enough.

Afraid I can't see the reason for the Henry adulation.
Is not so much that he's ever going to be elite. I picked him as my profile picture not because he's a star, but because his success is a symptom of a wider team success that's harder to define and more important.

His success is due to a combination of his hard work, Wells ability to pick up true dedication in prospective players, and (controversially) good coaching. He's not a star, he's a symbol of what good clubs do in getting the most from rookies and late picks.

If only he was a bit more athletic.

*snorts*

Mmm ... Im not sure I would have highlight that as a deficiency. Kicking may get better, hopefully ..and in game will get better with games played ... but he has alwasy been reasonably quick, can jump high enough to be asked to play ruck at 191 ..and can mark it. If it pans out that we have his broth at Geelong Id be happy.

Can we reserve few spots here for Jack Henry knockers space here will likely be at a premium next season.
Thought I was in the I was wrong thread,I was wrong.

Last edited:
Mmm ... Im not sure I would have highlight that as a deficiency. Kicking may get better, hopefully ..and in game will get better with games played ... but he has alwasy been reasonably quick, can jump high enough to be asked to play ruck at 191 ..and can mark it. If it pans out that we have his broth at Geelong Id be happy.
Kicks like an athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once you would say backman... but I think the likes of David Clark would say yoiu are correct
When we were young you got sent to play in defence if you couldn’t kick. Now being a poor kick is no such barrier as long as you are athletic and show prospect of developing into playing a role.

Can you see it now? Granted it's one solid game, but it's still early in what might well be a 200+ game career. He's showing what might be if we continue showing faith in him as we've done.
He played quite well in a game when most of our team did. Albeit an important one. So the answer is no. He'll have to do more for longer. And I hope he does.

cats_09, apologies for the duplicate thread. Seems that the extension was not announced by the club when it was reported by the AFL and an article from the club was only published today. My bad ✋
All good - the club did announce it back in Sept, but maybe they've decided to flood social media channels with announcements this week, release & rerelease all the info just to be sure they didn't forget something or someone

I really thought he deserved more than a year, maybe they're waiting for a bit more wiggle room in the cap by the end of next season so they can offer him a longer contract then.
Reckon there will be a fair bit of these short term deals while we are in this uncertain environment.

I know there's been discussion about the short term deals for Henry & Parfitt, while Simpson is reported to have been offered a 2-year deal - maybe the changes to the TPP next year is a contributing factor.

When you then add in that the current AFLPA CBA will expire in 2022, you can see value from a players perspective to sign a shorter deal now and then be in a position to push for a better cut in 12/24 months when there's more certainty around the salary cap, and potentially an increase in the cap in the next CBA

AFL players will have their wages cut by only 3.5 per cent for the 2021 season.

Reports from across the industry on Wednesday afternoon suggest there will be a nine per cent decrease in the Total Player Payments (TPP) in 2021, but the decrease in list sizes softens the cut.

Players who signed a deal after the mid-year contract freeze will see no wage reduction.

List sizes have also been confirmed, with list sizes reduced from between 38 and 47 to between 37 and 44.

A maximum of 38 players on the senior list, down from 40 this year. Teams will only have to select one player in this year’s draft if they wish.

The salary cap is expected to return to normal in 2022.

75 per cent of the playing group will have to approve the deal for it to pass.

Guessing he is backing himself to ride out the current inhibited salary cap conditions and get paid next time.

No doubt our coaches love him and have for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back