Opinion Jack Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him very closely at the Roos game. Deadset bruise free footy player. Named on the wing but kept sneaking back for cheap possessions behind the pack. Barely got into more of a jog all night. Majorly uninspiring stuff from a "leader".

I think if anything, Newnes sums up the Saints since 2011.
Very ordinary.

Newnes has not been dropped once since Richo took over as coach. Not once! A glance at some of the players that have been dropped in that time leaves me shaking my head: Webster, Acres, Billings, Gresham, Membrey, Ross, Steel...

Jack reminds me of former test cricketer, Graeme Wood, who played about 60 tests for Australia. Every time Wood was on the verge of getting dropped he would make a few runs and keep his spot. Everyone realised Wood wasn't a great player but he ended up playing for Australia for twelve years. There was nothing special about Wood: he didn't bowl and was just an okay fieldsman, and as a batsman he had a career average of just 31; that's only 62 runs per game. Nevertheless the selectors kept on picking him.

I fear that Jack will play for twelve years at St Kilda and average 62 ranking points per game, while other players with much more potential are kept out of the team.

The one good game Jack played this year was against a direct opponent who was off with the fairies and was playing totally unaccountable football (and is now in major trouble due to drug use). I think that one good game (where Jack kicked four goals) was what kept him in the team.

That was his equivalent of a Graeme Wood century.

Newnes has not been dropped once since Richo took over as coach. Not once! A glance at some of the players that have been dropped in that time leaves me shaking my head: Webster, Acres, Billings, Gresham, Membrey, Ross, Steel...

Jack reminds me of former test cricketer, Graeme Wood, who played about 60 tests for Australia. Every time Wood was on the verge of getting dropped he would make a few runs and keep his spot. Everyone realised Wood wasn't a great player but he ended up playing for Australia for twelve years. There was nothing special about Wood: he didn't bowl and was just an okay fieldsman, and as a batsman he had a career average of just 31; that's only 62 runs per game. Nevertheless the selectors kept on picking him.

I fear that Jack will play for twelve years at St Kilda and average 62 ranking points per game, while other players with much more potential are kept out of the team.

The one good game Jack played this year was against a direct opponent who was off with the fairies and was playing totally unaccountable football (and is now in major trouble due to drug use). I think that one good game (where Jack kicked four goals) was what kept him in the team.

While maybe true, you can't have a team full of great players..

I compare him to Marcus North. Rubbish for 5 or 6 tests then gets a 5w haul with his part time spin and locks down the allrounder spot for another series.

Jack hasn't been the same player since he got knocked out against Sydney last year. That was when he lost his edge. He is now barely league standard.

As you were J

Was having a look at the stats from our game against the Pies last year where we beat them. Jack got 32 touches that day!

What happened to him, and can he get his mojo back in 2019?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

newnes is like a josh caddy type. never going to damaging on his own or drag a team with him, but he's a solid contributor and can be part of the difference if all the other parts of the side are there and performing

he stays IMO

Josh Caddy type? Really. Wish he was like Caddy in anyway. Unfortunately he is very similar to Jack Newnes.

Was having a look at the stats from our game against the Pies last year where we beat them. Jack got 32 touches that day!

His lack of preseason and shoulder injuries didn't help him at all. His running capacity didnt seem to be as good as previous years either.
Hopefully a full preseason can get him back to his best next year.

His lack of preseason and shoulder injuries didn't help him at all. His running capacity didnt seem to be as good as previous years either.
I don't know if it's my imagination, but he seems to have lost a bit of muscle this season, and didn't seem to have good core strength in some contests- I think he needs to bulk up a little over summer.

If that's the case then why did he keep getting games over other blokes when he was a plodder at best? Bizzare to play a bloke who isn't even in our best 12 over the likes of Coffield, White, Freeman, Phillips etc. It's not like he's Steven or Carlisle important.

My biggest beef with him is he's played the odd game like that but never really done much that makes you go "Woah, bloke can play". His most dominant game was probably that one this year where he kicked 4 goals or so. Likely a fluke though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back