Jack Riewoldt wins Richmond B&F

Remove this Banner Ad

Athomas

Premiership Player
Feb 10, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldt-is-best-of-richmond/story-e6frf9jf-1225913002252

RICHMOND forward Jack Riewoldt collected his second medal in five days when he was awarded Richmond's best-and-fairest on Wednesday night.

Riewoldt, 21, pipped his captain Chris Newman by six votes, with 210, to claim his first Jack Dyer medal.

Brett Deledio, aiming for a third win in a row, was third with 193 votes.

Riewoldt, who won the John Coleman medal as the AFL's leading goalkicker (78 goals) hit the front in the vote count in Round 9 and stayed there through 10 rounds of voting before being overhauled by Newman in Round 19.

But a seven-goal haul against his cousin Nick's St Kilda team in Round 21 put the Tasmanian back in front, where he remained.

Riewoldt's stellar season was highlighted by a stunning 10-goal haul against West Coast at the MCG in Round 12.

Emerging star Dustin Martin (159), seasoned midfielder Shane Tuck (153) and Shane Edwards (151) finished fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively.

Popular Riewoldt's win had the approval of all in the Crown ballroom, but the biggest cheers of the night came whenever Ben Cousins polled a vote, despite him finishing outside the top 10.

Cousins maintained a low profile during the night, declining to comment on the plight of the Hawks' Travis Tuck - brother of teammate Shane - and his 12-match suspension for returning a third positive drug test.

Deserved it for his great year, Newman almost pipped him though!

I know they've done that before, the Cats leaked it early once, but how can they talk about the crowd reaction?

I know they've done that before, the Cats leaked it early once, but how can they talk about the crowd reaction?

To me it looks like the main part of that article was pre written, then the two paragraphs at the end were added on, so during the early part of the rounds.

Quite funny though that it's still going on, I had no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good work by the more famous cousin ;)

Had an outstanding season, certainly exciting to watch.

Nice. Power forwards are too often ignored in vote counts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back