News Jackson Hately requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

You expect me to remember? Too tired you look them up.
I'll give you a couple for starters to chew on straight up :

Tom Boyd to the Dogs = Pick 6 and the Bulldogs then Captain Ryan Griffen.

Dylan Shiel to the Bombers = Essendon's 2018 and 2019 1st round picks and GWS 2019 2nd round pick to Essendon.

Peanuts?

I'll give you a couple for starters to chew on Tom Boyd = Pick 6 and the Bulldogs then Captain Ryan Griffen.

Dylan Shiel = Essendon's 2018 and 2019 1st round picks and GWS 2019 2nd round pick to Essendon.

Peanuts?

Not really comparable are they?

Yep, still not seeing why we give a pick for this guy unless it's a pick we have no plans to use or trade, or want to swap into next years draft.

We got Pick #1 in the ND which gives us the first pick of the draft crop, and pick #1 in the PSD, which gives us the first pick of the un-contracted crop who we can agree a deal with. Unless there is someone like Saad who is willing to come here, we do the right thing for our supporters and members and use maximise this pick by using it to get Hately for free. Anything else is poor business, especially with list sizes and salary cap being impacted next year.

Those are the benefits you receive as the last club on the ladder. GWS know all about benefits, they've landed many good players using them, without having to trade. Now they have a surplus there's no mythical 'honour amongst thieves' code here - it's business, and if they want to hold a grudge they can hold it against the player.

Unless anyone has a view on a better way to maximise this pick we legitimately received by finishing last on the ladder, instead of throwing it away on some delisted depth player or state league mature age recruit?

This is different to Dangerfield and other RFAs as those offers can be matched by a club.

I'll give you a couple for starters to chew on straight up :

Tom Boyd to the Dogs = Pick 6 and the Bulldogs then Captain Ryan Griffen.

Dylan Shiel to the Bombers = Essendon's 2018 and 2019 1st round picks and GWS 2019 2nd round pick to Essendon.

Peanuts?

I was talking earlier years than those. Pick#1 Boyd and Griffo was a high pick too. You are very kind to them. I have hated and loathed them from day one. Too watch Scully go to the Hawks for pick 42, all those top 10 picks to SOS made me feel sick in the guts. They made McCarthy sit for a year and still got a high pick for him from Freo.

No other team owes them a damn thing, they have been trying to rebuild bridges in my book.

If we bid pick 8 on Jones, Port would need 1241 points to match.... which would use up their picks 26 (729 points) , 31 (606 points), leaving their 1st pick at 36.
Port are in deficit aren’t they? That would push their 26 back, I have no idea if that impacts on their 36

Port are in deficit aren’t they? That would push their 26 back, I have no idea if that impacts on their 36
Yes, but 26 is already their pushed back pick.

I was talking earlier years than those. Pick#1 Boyd and Griffo was a high pick too. You are very kind to them. I have hated and loathed them from day one. Too watch Scully go to the Hawks for pick 42, all those top 10 picks to SOS made me feel sick in the guts. They made McCarthy sit for a year and still got a high pick for him from Freo.

No other team owes them a damn thing, they have been trying to rebuild bridges in my book.
Scully had serious injury concerns at the time surely you read about or heard that at the time, it was thought he may not play again.

Scully broke his ankle in the second round of the 2018 season against Collingwood after twisting on it in a tackle. He fractured the fibula in his right ankle and also sustained a syndesmosis injury. The severity of the injury led to fears that he might not play again.

Such as Tom Lynch on the good side, and Lewis Johnston on the sh*t side
Lewis Johnston was a gun set shot and played some good games but his legacy will forever be burning Paddy and setting events in motion for the the ****ing Angus Monfries Showdown.

Yep, still not seeing why we give a pick for this guy unless it's a pick we have no plans to use or trade, or want to swap into next years draft.

We got Pick #1 in the ND which gives us the first pick of the draft crop, and pick #1 in the PSD, which gives us the first pick of the un-contracted crop who we can agree a deal with. Unless there is someone like Saad who is willing to come here, we do the right thing for our supporters and members and use maximise this pick by using it to get Hately for free. Anything else is poor business, especially with list sizes and salary cap being impacted next year.

Those are the benefits you receive as the last club on the ladder. GWS know all about benefits, they've landed many good players using them, without having to trade. Now they have a surplus there's no mythical 'honour amongst thieves' code here - it's business, and if they want to hold a grudge they can hold it against the player.

Unless anyone has a view on a better way to maximise this pick we legitimately received by finishing last on the ladder, instead of throwing it away on some delisted depth player or state league mature age recruit?

This is different to Dangerfield and other RFAs as those offers can be matched by a club.
I think we should keep that pick “open” though.. if that makes sense.. sure, use it as a threat if need be at the trade table but ultimately we want to hold onto it..

there is just no telling what could fall through and end up being available at pick 1 in the PSD this year with so many unknowns and also possible list reductions.

imagine its a Caldwell or O’halloran or someone else that a trade deal goes sour over and they end up forced into the PSD.. we wont be able to have first dibs on them if we have already committed that PSD pick 1 to getting Hately, all because we wanted to be incredible tight arses and get him for nothing..

and no one likes a ****in tight arse.

Trade in good faith and do a deal thats slightly in our favour for hately.. use the PSD as a threat for Hately only if all other avenues are exhausted.

take that PSD pick 1 to the draft and hope we get a nice surprise when using it..

Scully had serious injury concerns at the time surely you read about or heard that at the time, it was thought he may not play again.

Scully broke his ankle in the second round of the 2018 season against Collingwood after twisting on it in a tackle. He fractured the fibula in his right ankle and also sustained a syndesmosis injury. The severity of the injury led to fears that he might not play again.

Yes I knew of his ankle. Medical advice was he may miss the upcoming season but he would recover. Pick 42 was a steal. Bicks I mightn't watch the games like you but I read as much as I can. I also hate being screwed over by dodgy trades. We have, meaning the Crows have been shafted by teams and the VFL for years. Time to be in the driver's seat for a change and play hardball. Burn some bridges ourselves. Remember Rendell getting shafted by that 2 nd rounder for Hudson the ruckman by the Bullies? Rendell thought it was for their 2nd rounder, at the last moment they traded a player for a 2nd rounder and gave us that one. Of course it was much lower pick. Shit like that has irked me for years. VFL media and teams laughed at us for ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are you on about?

Andrew McLeod
Scott Thompson
Tom Lynch
Sam Jacobs
Scott Welsh

just to name a few players traded to us at a young age with cane with great calibre.
All from a different era when players were traded on club needs, players wouldn't walk out on clubs and request a trade to a specific club - very rarely at any rate.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we should keep that pick “open” though.. if that makes sense.. sure, use it as a threat if need be at the trade table but ultimately we want to hold onto it..

there is just no telling what could fall through and end up being available at pick 1 in the PSD this year with so many unknowns and also possible list reductions.

imagine its a Caldwell or O’halloran or someone else that a trade deal goes sour over and they end up forced into the PSD.. we wont be able to have first dibs on them if we have already committed that PSD pick 1 to getting Hately, all because we wanted to be incredible tight arses and get him for nothing..

and no one likes a fu**in tight arse.

Trade in good faith and do a deal thats slightly in our favour for hately.. use the PSD as a threat for Hately only if all other avenues are exhausted.

take that PSD pick 1 to the draft and hope we get a nice surprise when using it..
That's also a strategy, true. I guess in that instance you're effectively 'gambling' the outcome of the pick on two things;

1.) Someone decent is available at that point in time (i.e Saad)
2.) They want to sign a contract with us (remember they could still refuse to do so and go to a club with a lower pick by nominating terms we don't agree with)

Which effectively means you are gambling that someone good who wants to play with us on non-crazy money will be available, versus getting a potential 150+ game player at pick 29 plus Hately for free. Otherwise you're back to mature age state leaguers and delisted rookies.

He’s a guy with it all to prove, and we have psd leverage

swap future 3rd rounders

anyone who thinks we would never use PSD must be smoking crack.
Not sure you would have to be a crackhead. I think going by our trade history, the reasonable assumption is that Adelaide will trade fairly with GWS.

What makes the situation potentially different though is that Adelaide is in the midst of a full blown rebuild the likes of which we haven't seen before. If our recent appointments prove anything, it's that the conservative ethos which has governed our club for so many years has been put aside. It appears that in some ways, winning the spoon has de-shackled us. I feel like if there is ever going to be a time when Adelaide go full blown scorched earth at the trade table, this year would be it.

From a guy on the GWS board who apparently has sources (tiniest grain of salt as I don’t know how you can get an idea of the situation this quickly) - we’re gonna play hardball and definitely use the PSD threat

We might not even have to give up 29? Geez that’d be a bargain for a pick 14 in a super draft 2 years ago

And to those saying he hasn’t proven sh*t since his stats and eye test have been average at the Giants - he hasn’t even played his best position for them this year lmao

why the **** do some of you doofus think being unable to win a spot in your best position is somehow a positive

why the fu** do some of you doofus think being unable to win a spot in your best position is somehow a positive
Keays was unable to win a spot in his best position and has been a value pick-up

Wheras Gibbs was an automatic selection at his previous club and provided little to no value

I dont think its that bkack or white

Hately is only 19, trying to push past other 1st round and more experienced players like Hopper, Taranto and Congilo. He was never going to walk into the team as an inside mid.

Hately is a high talent kid and we should get him for value, no complaints from me but alao understanding he has work to do to establish himself in the team and as an AFL player

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's also a strategy, true. I guess in that instance you're effectively 'gambling' the outcome of the pick on two things;

1.) Someone decent is available at that point in time (i.e Saad)
2.) They want to sign a contract with us (remember they could still refuse to do so and go to a club with a lower pick by nominating terms we don't agree with)

Which effectively means you are gambling that someone good who wants to play with us on non-crazy money will be available, versus getting a potential 150+ game player at pick 29 plus Hately for free. Otherwise you're back to mature age state leaguers and delisted rookies.
True... its all a gamble and a game of bluff..

But we can only continue to bluff and play the game and ultimately gamble with that pick 1 in the PSD if we haven’t gone and commited it to Hately early on in the piece..

Its gonna be a fun trade/draft period to sit back and watch..

why the fu** do some of you doofus think being unable to win a spot in your best position is somehow a positive

It's certainly a positive if you're looking at getting a talented player in (1st round pick 2018, smacked up the NEAFL, did well out of position in the AFL, when compared to his rising star peers) and if you want to retain your first round picks...

High 2nd rounder for Hampton who couldn't get a game at the time. They were giving others away to the Vics for peanuts then. Made McCarthy sit for a year. Yeah real easy to deal with unless your name was SOS.
Late pick (50) or PSD for mine.
Hampton was getting games (when not injured) and was one of the highest rated players in his draft year.

It wasn't unders - like many GWS players traded in that period - but it was reasonably fair.

The issue wasn't Hampton's talent, it was his mental capacity to be a top level sportsman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back