Player Watch Jackson Hately

Remove this Banner Ad

An important thing that none of our other mids do consistently is that he finds the spots to have shots on goal, might not be kicking them all yet but knows where to be at the right time.

Much better last night, let's hope he can back it up on a regular basis now.

Big, big test next week for all of our mids and rucks coming up against Rowan Marshall, Paddy Ryder, Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross and Zac Jones and that's without even factoring in the speed and run and carry of Jack Sinclair.

If he can't improve his kicking it's still a no from me. An accumulator with no weapons and a poor kick is the opposite of what we need going forward.
Yet strangely I felt more confident last night when the ball was in Hately’s hands than I did when it was in laird or keays’s…

maybe that because we know, due to witnessing the last two or more years now, what to expect from laird and keays..

Big, big test next week for all of our mids and rucks coming up against Rowan Marshall, Paddy Ryder, Jack Steele, Brad Crouch, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross and Zac Jones and that's without even factoring in the speed and run and carry of Jack Sinclair.
So last night's test against a premiership contender's ruck and midfield isn't consider bigger than the Saints???

Steele is out now, so that's one less thing to worry about at least.

At least he’s fired a shot now and we can see why he was a highly rated junior. Who knows if he can carry it on but it was looking like he was going to go out of the AFL without so much as a whimper so good for the kid that he delivered that performance.

Yet strangely I felt more confident last night when the ball was in Hately’s hands than I did when it was in laird or keays’s…

maybe that because we know, due to witnessing the last two or more years now, what to expect from laird and keays..
Laird is fine imo. Just okay.

Keays is pretty s**t and tbh I think Hately is on par. His ball drop is awful and has no power.

He had a good game, but I don't know why we'd get sucked in to another mid with limited class and average footskills. You can only have so many of them in your midfield and I think Berry has more strings to his bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? Look at our midfield and tell me we need more M Crouches.
Who wouldn't any team want the 2017 version of M.Crouch as their pure inside midfielder? Berry will develop into a Sloane type player so we need to find our next Dangerfield (Pedlar/Cook/Schoenberg) to compliment our 2016 midfield and have Laird and Keays rotate their midfield role.

And how many of those in his preferred position?
My recollection of most of his GWS games was on a wing, which he isn't really suited to.

We had been playing him up forward until last week against the Blues.

Let's give him a decent month in the middle where he clearly plays his best football to see whether he can consistently play to the standard he did last night.

Hopefully he isn't a one game wonder...

Thought his first half last night was exemplary, second half dropped off. Mirrored his team mates in that respect. Doesn't look like a natural footballer to me though, maybe it's his kicking action? A bit like ROB & Keys, more unorthodox than uncoordinated. Couldn't fault the effort, positioning etc in first half though.

Steele won't be playing

He played well so good on him but ultimately it means we are developing another mid with not a great kick. Haven’t we learnt our lesson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back