Opinion Jackson Thurlow

I've deleted off topic posts ( including my own) to get this thread back onto the Thurlow topic.

Good to see Thurlow was the first Cat over the line in the Pier to Pub......good signs.
I have to disagree there David.
It's good that he is fit in water, but sadly will have zilch impact on his performance as a player.
I know he is a keen surfer- have seen him several times at 13th Beach, and he can swim.
I look forward to his progress this year- at his best, a really unique player at Geelong- he has a beautiful kick.
Would love to see him at HBF, allowing Tuohey on the wing etc.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I have to disagree there David.
It's good that he is fit in water, but sadly will have zilch impact on his performance as a player.
I know he is a keen surfer- have seen him several times at 13th Beach, and he can swim.
I look forward to his progress this year- at his best, a really unique player at Geelong- he has a beautiful kick.
Would love to see him at HBF, allowing Tuohey on the wing etc.

Isn’t it a good sign that he’s increasingly able to participate in more intensive training, and physical events like the P to P?

Isn’t it a good sign that he’s increasingly able to participate in more intensive training, and physical events like the P to P?
No, did it last year too.
It's a simple swim. He actually played real AFL in 17??

Yep. Played 10 games in 2017.

His knee injury was almost two years ago now. Shouldn’t be used as an excuse anymore.
True.
Some people looking for "signs" in the wrong places.
One of the first rehab things he did was laps of the pool. The only signs really are his ability to play and train in footy as if there is no tomorrow, imho.

Wojo bought a Pinarello bicycle and could have challenged Cadel there for a while. Jfi.
2 years later, back to his brilliant best on the oval.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
True.
Some people looking for "signs" in the wrong places.
One of the first rehab things he did was laps of the pool. The only signs really are his ability to play and train in footy as if there is no tomorrow, imho.

Wojo bought a Pinarello bicycle and could have challenged Cadel there for a while. Jfi.
2 years later, back to his brilliant best on the oval.

Now coming into 2nd year with Thurlow too, yes?

Now coming into 2nd year with Thurlow too, yes?
Yes.
Results of Pier to Pub are irrelevant, yes?
If you mentioned 2-3km time trials, maybe. Moreover, his capacity to baulk, mark and twist and turn at footy training would be the most relevant.
He adapted pretty well last season, a bit more footy specific testing is now crucial.
Swimming is used when these activities are not possible.
But it's a bit of upper body aerobic fitness, and he's aquaphilic.

I never made claim about the result, just the fact he participated.

Knee injury - March 2016

12 month recovery - @ March 2017

Time in VFL

Returned to seniors around July 2017 I think?

Now only January 2018 / second season.......
Did Pier to Pub in 2017 in around 17 minutes

Wow. I couldn’t swim the length of my bathtub in that time
As I said, he's an aquaphile.
He may have been better this year; my only point is that it doesn't translate to the rigours of footy participation at this stage.
I'm a Thurlow fan- would love to see him succeed.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
As I said, he's an aquaphile.
He may have been better this year; my only point is that it doesn't translate to the rigours of footy participation at this stage.
I'm a Thurlow fan- would love to see him succeed.

Agreed, but I see some positives that he is continuing to build on his fitness in all sorts of ways, which in itself is encouraging and the point I think DTC was trying to make.

History is littered with examples of players taking a couple of years to get back to near their best after an ACL. But as I’ve said earlier in this thread, his time really is now.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
History is littered with examples of players taking a couple of years to get back to near their best after an ACL. But as I’ve said earlier in this thread, his time really is now.

Definitely a make or break year for Thurlow. Got a little too hyped to see him return last year thinking he would lock himself in the seniors straight away which was pretty silly looking back at it returning from an ACL. Works both ways though, the club needs to have faith in him & pick him in the seniors, and Thurlow needs to string some good performances together which I’m pretty confident he will do. Was pretty good on the wing end of last year but was dropped again unfortunately.

Wow so much negativity about this kid, hope he does a "Wojo"

Will back him in now for sure, great depth at the very least.

Best 18 for me.

Back